Your childhood home...

Aunt Marg

SF VIP
Anyone else have the bragging rights of being raised in a one bathroom home?

Remember the challenges that one bathroom made for?

How about those old laundry chutes, did your home have one?

Did your home have a finished basement, where as a young and growing child you could escape to in order to read a book, watch TV, play a board game, or invite friends over?

Anyone else have to endure sharing your bedroom with a sibling?

Did your home have a finished basement, where as a young and growing child you could escape to in order to read a book, watch TV, play a board game, or invite friends over?

All 3 of the houses I lived in when I was growing up had only one bathroom. When everybody was still living at home, it was only a matter of basic courtesy- like if anyone was going to take a bath, they'd ask if anybody else needed to get in there first. We also had one phone and one t.v.

No laundry chutes. The basement was for laundry, but when I was a young teenager I turned it into a darkroom to develop films and print pictures. :)

My brothers shared a bedroom, but I had my own because I was the only girl.

I could turn this into a "We were poorer than .." thread ;)

3 room house .. un-insulated. No running water - well water.

no bathroom - outhouse.

Myself & 2 older sisters slept on the pull-out chesterfield in the living-room. We didn't have a bedroom.

We lived that way for around 5 yrs.

All 3 of the houses I lived in when I was growing up had only one bathroom. When everybody was still living at home, it was only a matter of basic courtesy- like if anyone was going to take a bath, they'd ask if anybody else needed to get in there first. We also had one phone and one t.v.

No laundry chutes. The basement was for laundry, but when I was a young teenager I turned it into a darkroom to develop films and print pictures. :)

My brothers shared a bedroom, but I had my own because I was the only girl.
I remember it so well... calling out to the family to advise of my impending bath (LOL), or when my dad would ask if anyone needed the bathroom, because he was going in to a little reading (clearing my throat). :)

I remember it so well... calling out to the family to advise of my impending bath (LOL), or when my dad would ask if anyone needed the bathroom, because he was going in to a little reading (clearing my throat). :)
or the other thing I remember- "please don't turn on the water in the kitchen, I'm going to take a shower!" because the water system throughout the house was all connected, and if someone turned on the kitchen sink faucet, the individual in the shower would be treated to some VERY cold water! :ROFLMAO:

I could turn this into a "We were poorer than .." thread ;)

3 room house .. un-insulated. No running water - well water.

no bathroom - outhouse.

Myself & 2 older sisters slept on the pull-out chesterfield in the living-room. We didn't have a bedroom.

We lived that way for around 5 yrs.
Boy, do I remember the days of the old outhouse. The outhouse was the way when visiting my grandparents, and was I ever happy to an end to that. :)

I remember our old couch that folded-out into a bed, how many weekend sleepovers we had through the years sleeping on it/in it. :)

What great old memories!

or the other thing I remember- "please don't turn on the water in the kitchen, I'm going to take a shower!" because the water system throughout the house was all connected, and if someone turned on the kitchen sink faucet, the individual in the shower would be treated to some VERY cold water! :ROFLMAO:
Yes! And to kick it up another notch... flushing the toilet when someone was having a shower! What fun we had with that!

Mom and dad kept one of those small miniature screwdrivers made for tightening the screws of eyeglasses atop the bathroom doorjamb, so locking the bathroom door did no good! A master key it was! ROFL!

I remember we had a old ascot water heater over the sink in my parents home in London..
plus one in the bathroom to heat the water up!
ROFLMAO! We must had a really small hot water heater, because we always had to wait for the hot water heater to heat enough water for a bath, after mom did the dishes (or vice-versa)! Same went for using the washing machine, if we wanted to do a hot water wash cycle, having a bath was out of the question! LOL!

What fun we had...

Yes! And to kick it up another notch... flushing the toilet when someone was having a shower! What fun we had with that!

Mom and dad kept one of those small miniature screwdrivers made for tightening the screws of eyeglasses atop the bathroom doorjamb, so locking the bathroom door did no good! A master key it was! ROFL!

I forgot the part about not flushing the toilet! LOL !

How about no bathroom. Mom and I used the logging camp facilities.

It was well after I got out of the Navy before I lived in a house with more than a single bathroom.
All I can say is, thank goodness for the logging camp facilities! :)

"We had an outhouse and took our baths in a zinc washtub in the kitchen with water heated on a wood stove."

"The challenge was getting to and from the outhouse in the winter, or messing with the old tomato can."

"We had laundry baskets"

"When we finally moved into town, our basement was a root cellar and the place where coal was stored."

"I had to share my bedroom with my baby sister, and that meant getting up and changing her diaper in the middle of the night because my parents were often drunk."
Aunt Marg
You were living high on the hog! See above.
But LOL, I still turned out OK, … or at least I think so.

Most of my childhood was spent in a modest one bathroom six-room bungalow with an unfinished basement.

Living with one bathroom helped people to learn a little respect for others by cleaning up after themselves, not using all of the hot water, living with a schedule so everyone could get ready to head out the door, etc...

98ea8cdf5367a31b449bf9d15aa5d712.jpg

As soon as I read about the Laundry Chute, I was LOL'ing!!

Our house had a pantry with a laundry chute on the second level that dropped the clothes down to the first level where the laundry room was.
So....what's so funny? Our mom stored lots of snack foods in the pantry and she kept it locked at all times because we would constantly eat them - cookies, chips, anything we weren't supposed to eat. She figured we couldn't get into the pantry because she kept the door locked.

When our parents weren't home, we quickly learned how to get to the cookies by climbing up the laundry chute to the pantry. Sometimes, when we were having company, we would hear her unlock the door to the pantry to get snacks to offer her guests & she'd say, "Hmmm, I thought I had more cookies....I have to go shopping." We couldn't stop laughing. She never figured it out.

Another thing she never figured out: She often bragged, "You can't fool me, so don't even try." We LOL'd every time she said that & she'd always ask, "What the hell are you all laughing at?"

Last edited:
Aunt Marg
You were living high on the hog! See above.
But LOL, I still turned out OK, … or at least I think so.
LOL, Pecos! You'll get no argument from me on that! :)

How well I remember the old zinc-coated washtubs! Such was my personal swimming pool when visiting the grandparents! :)

I, too, shared my bedroom with baby siblings, and for many years remember being woken in the middle of the night and tending to their crying/fussing... a diaper, a bottle, whatever they were in need of.

Most of my childhood was spent in a modest one bathroom six-room bungalow with an unfinished basement.

Living with one bathroom helped people to learn a little respect for others by cleaning up after themselves, not using all of the hot water, living with a schedule so everyone could get ready to head out the door, etc...

98ea8cdf5367a31b449bf9d15aa5d712.jpg
Yes, absolutely true!

I remember I used to wake a good hour earlier than the rest, so I could have the bathroom all to myself.

As soon as I read about the Laundry Chute, I was LOL'ing!!

Our house had a pantry with a laundry chute on the second level that dropped the clothes down to the first level where the laundry room was.
So....what's so funny? Our mom stored lots of snack foods in the pantry and she kept it locked at all times because we would constantly eat them - cookies, chips, anything we weren't supposed to eat. She figured we couldn't get into the pantry because she kept the door locked.

When our parents weren't home, we quickly learned how to get to the cookies by climbing up the laundry chute to the pantry. Sometimes, when we were having company, we would hear her unlock the door to the pantry to get snacks to offer her guests & she'd say, "Hmmm, I thought I had more cookies....I have to go shopping." We couldn't stop laughing. She never figured it out.
OMG, what a hoot that is! :ROFLMAO:

We had 2 bathrooms in my childhood home, but one of them was solely for my mother and father and was off limits to me and my brother. So technically I did have to share the bathroom with my younger brother who was two years younger than me. Maybe that was the real reason I wanted to get out at the age of 16. 😄
LOL! Yes indeed, that would do it. :)

I remember my moms Tame Crème Rinse (hair conditioner) was out of bounds for us girls, but it didn't stop us from sneaking a little every now and then! LOL!

LOL! Yes indeed, that would do it. :)

I remember my moms Tame Crème Rinse (hair conditioner) was out of bounds for us girls, but it didn't stop us from sneaking a little every now and then! LOL!
My mother was one of the people who could just sense when I did something wrong like use her make up or something like that. If I got called by her by my full name a then a rant in Japanese I knew I was in trouble. She just knew when I did something wrong and it could be days later and she would come down on me for it out of the blue just when I thought I got away with it.

My mother was one of the people who could just sense when I did something wrong like use her make up or something like that. If I got called by her by my full name a then a rant in Japanese I knew I was in trouble. She just knew when I did something wrong and it could be days later and she would come down on me for it out of the blue just when I thought I got away with it.
ROFLMAO! My mom, too! :)

Let me tell you, there's weren't many occasions where I, or my siblings managed to get away with pulling the wool over moms head, but when we did, what a party it was! :ROFLMAO:

Yes, I was raised in a modest 1-bedroom house. No basement. I don't remember it being a problem at the time though I'm sure there were a few mini-dramas when my brother and I were teenagers. :D
Oh yes... I recall the bickering and fighting, too! LOL!

Back