You're A Senior Living Alone and You Start Having Trouble Due to Failing Health....

Well, I know I can't afford AL. I worry about this topic, too~And my pets having someone to care for them should I fall very ill. I think I would first try to get a home health aide to help me around the place. If I got very ill I'd probably be put in a nursing home.

Good Job! SeaBreeze
90% of people over age 65 want to stay at home for as long as possible. According to me caregiver is the best option for your loved ones to take care of them and perform other daily necessary tasks. Caregivers offer companionship to the seniors in their care. If your parents’ friends live out of state, your parents may not be as social as they were in the past. Caregivers can join your parents for walks, sit outside in the garden, and join them on shopping trips.
Tell me your opinion, that you are thinking @SeaBreeze.
Who are Caregivers? Is this a company ?

When I can no longer take care of myself, no longer enjoy my life, I will make my escape from this existence. I cannot understand those who cling to life, greedily, when such a life lacks any meaning, any fun, any activity other than the maintenance of the bare minimum of biological life processes.

Not to speak of the abuse many get from these places. I have heard lots of bad stories of over drugging, leaving you in soiled clothing, and out right beatings then saying you fell.
Most of these people make minimum wage and most are not happy. My sister worked in one as a young person for a few weeks and said it is not a good place to be.
This would be another one of my concerns not only in a nursing home but when using a home health aide especially if the aide knows the loved one's visitation schedule. Also when the elderly suffer dementia, abuse can be passed off as either "they fell" or if no bruises, the elderly's demented imagination.

II you are concerned about this, you should visit the facility to see for yourself.
Scare stories like this "I heard that..." should be first hand accounts, and told to authorities.

How many older people who have been frightened by this, ave stayed home, and lived a sad or shortened life?

We have lived in our CCRC for 14 years and have never seen this kind of abuse.

Do bad things happen? yes, of course, but struggling to live at home in misery, when good care is available, is wrong, and people who propagate these kinds of stories are doing a disservice to elders who may have many more years of pleasant living with good care.

We're 83, and hoping to live to 95, like so many of our friends here in Liberty Village. A busy, active enjoyable life.

Believe what you know, not what you hear!

I live in England and Ive lived on my own for five years in the house me and my late husband shared from 1995 to 2015. It hasnt been easy in the practical sense and the terribe grieving to this day but ive coped and still coping.

I was thinking about how i would manage as I got past 76 getting on for 80 and althought not in very poor health have a couple of health issues. I dont relish moving to a smaller house and all the upheaval it will ensue.
I was considering asjlking for advice and help and we have organisations here like AgeNet and others who assist with living independently in one's home
There is a lot of help but having have the mojo and will to seek it isn't always easy when there isn't family or good friends to support us. Its starting to enquire that is difficultfor many including me.

Dont know what its like in the USA Canada and other countries and wonder if there are similar orgs that have free advice and help to offer.

Back