YouTube one of the most useful apps we have as seniors!

Absolutely ! Youtube is my go-to place to learn about anything. Before i order something from Amazon that i have not used before, I look it up on youtube and see what people there think about it, and what kind they recommend.
Amazingly, just yesterday, I looked up the founders of our health insurance company (Devoted) to learn more about that company, and there was even good information about the company and also the two brothers who started it because they wanted the kind of care that they would want for their own family.

I also listen to several doctors on there, watch sales videos for gaited horses, and just relax watching YoYo Jr, the famous monkey, and his family of other animals.

Yep I agree.. Obviously it's not the Holy Grail so you do have to be discerning as to what you watch... but I've always been a fan of youtube from the beginning, I also have my own YT channel... but specifically this last 2 years when I've needed to discover how to do certain things technically on my computer, YT has been a great help

I love Youtube University! Can tackle so many home and van repairs on my own. Agree with @Happyflowerlady about checking out reviews. Also love to find creators who explain complex scientific subjects in an understandable way. For entertainment, I like van build and van life channels, travel vlogs, esp Sailing La Vagabonde and Kara and Nate. Also Bruce Fummey's low key funny Scotland History Tours. Opps! eta almost forgot about music!

I love Youtube University! Can tackle so many home and van repairs on my own. Agree with @Happyflowerlady about checking out reviews. Also love to find creators who explain complex scientific subjects in an understandable way. For entertainment, I like van build and van life channels, travel vlogs, esp Sailing La Vagabonde and Kara and Nate. Also Bruce Fummey's low key funny Scotland History Tours. Opps! eta almost forgot about music!
Is that a separate app? I am a sailing enthusiast & tours, that’s new to me?

Have had a non-paid account for 4 years but just 28 skiing videos thus far with many others on other subjects like technology or even my freestyle dancing. Within a year expect to expand that greatly into a paid account. Just yesterday watched about 4 hours worth of neuroscience videos. One issue is that depending on the subject, it can be difficult locating useful videos as there are myriad low quality non-paid account videos from ordinary folks that just record on devices with little to no post processing they upload for their friends. I use Adobe Premiere 2021 for editing that requires effort to learn and edit material that my high Photoshop skills adds a huge advantage to.

Since 5G technology is being rapidly deployed and most people in public now carry around smartphones, I can point any strangers I meet to my youtube site and or my photography website that has considerable value if one has impressive material.

I love YouTube. I didn't know it was an app, I just go to it from my Google home page. I have dozens of favorite videos that I enjoy watching over and over, usually about animals. I watch old movies on it almost every day and I follow certain people who have online diaries.

I almost always have YouTube music going. I could never afford to spend much money on music so now I'm discovering all sorts of singers and groups for the first time.

Of course it's learned what I like now and is constantly luring me down rabbit holes. It knows I'll always watch dogs being groomed, men building cabins in the woods, police pulling drunks over, the Queens Guard telling tourists to get back ...

I often tease my son about learning something from "You Tube University". I've checked YT myself to find out how to do something, usually involving tech. I've watched several Jackson Galaxy (aka Cat Daddy) videos after we got our kitten. Most of the time the videos are quite helpful. I also love that I'm getting to see what some of the artists from back in the day looked like. Their photos certainly were not on their 45s and may not have been available otherwise.

There is some good stuff there, even from mainstream sources that shy away from promoting it though their primary delivery channels:

Through YouTube they can be more balanced instead of solely pandering to one audience segment with an outsized voice.

Like @hollydolly said you have be discerning. Of course i've said similar about most technology and sites: It is wise to view them as tools and use them consciously: Select sources carefully unless viewing from strictly 'entertain me' perspective.

As with print and broadcast news i often watch more than one video, from different producers on a subject to get a broader view of things. i also stay away from ones with tabloidesque titles or phrases in the thumbnail.

But they can be very helpful.

Back