12 new members in the last 24-48 hours

Maybe I am showing my lack of forum speak sophistication, but what is a "sock puppet"?
A sock puppet is a second (or third or fourth....) screen name that a poster uses to agree with themselves or praise themselves or attack the poster's "enemies", thus gaining what appears to be support.

Poster A posts something and then sock puppet 1 posts, "Oh, you are sooooo right!"

Another poster disagrees with Poster A and the sock puppet(s) enter the fray attacking the other poster.

Usually the sock puppet gives himself away by using the same style as poster A, misspelling the same words or just getting mixed up about who he's supposed to be at that particular moment.

On a serious point now, the reasons why so many new members have arrived could be the very good one we all probably engage in discussions (/arguments) here, the need for company, a need we're all supposed to crave most of the time! :)

I mention this now because I heard a BBC report last night of some research work carried out at Harvard University no less, where loneliness was said to be as bad for one's health as smoking, (makes you think doesn't it!). :(

I change my picture a lot here, but I am the same guy. I am Lawrence. Sometimes my settings are wide open, sometimes my settings are totally closed, Sometimes I am happy with everyone, Sometimes I am angry with someone. Most of the time I read only the first post that a person makes, when someone is quoting another person, I do not read that post, I wish there was a way that would not be able to see posts that have quotes in them. But since I have locked my settings down tight right because of a disagreement I think I will never know.

I change my picture a lot here, but I am the same guy. I am Lawrence. Sometimes my settings are wide open, sometimes my settings are totally closed, Sometimes I am happy with everyone, Sometimes I am angry with someone. Most of the time I read only the first post that a person makes, when someone is quoting another person, I do not read that post, I wish there was a way that would not be able to see posts that have quotes in them. But since I have locked my settings down tight right because of a disagreement I think I will never know.
There are two members named Lawrence.. you're the person who recently had picture with Santa hat?

It's funny I thought they were the same person despite Lawrence having 00 at the end of his name.. but they both joined roughly at the same time. I'm surprised that Admin allowed such similar handles

Not suggesting that Lawrence has two accounts but if Lawrence 01 and Lawrence 02 turn up, I might be a litlte suspicious. Personally, I think I'd be more discreet and have something like "NotTrish" :)

Ah, didnt think of that, (with you now, "Not Trish", "Very not Trish" and "Very very, no not never Trish" far more discreet obviously! :) ).

One things for sure, I'm well and truly off the hook now as far as multiple memberships goes, (unless "Grahamga", "Grahamgb" etc. starts turning up).

See, I have a dilemma now because I actually quite like "NotMe" :unsure: :)

The first time I came on the forum, I didn't do an introduction. I just started posting. I'm not really comfortable with them

I didn't know about people here having more than one account and posting as more than one person. That's interesting.
I got into an argument with someone and didn't want to continue with that persona, so I stopped using that identity and started again with a different name. I only use this one now, so I'm not in duplicate.

Back