A word that you detest

Narcissistic.

It has too many C's, S's, and I's for starters and it's meaning is too complicated. According to the Mayo Clinic, it's definition has 20 different symptoms, some of which contradict each other...for instance the first one and last symptoms listed, "exaggerated self-importance" and "insecure"...though I can figure that out if I combine them to mean overcompensation for insecurities perhaps.

So I never know what people really mean when they use it because, according to the Mayo Clinic, it's a catch-all word for 20 different symptoms. Seriously, no one can have all of those symptoms. The good news is it seems to have been trending more a year ago than now. At least I don't hear people using it as much. And, no, they weren't saying it to me...well, not to my face anyway :unsure::giggle:

Here's Mayo Clinic's list copied and pasted from their website...
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...onality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20366662

"Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder and the severity of symptoms vary. People with the disorder can:

• Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
  • Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
  • Exaggerate achievements and talents
  • Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
  • Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
  • Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
  • Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
  • Take advantage of others to get what they want
  • Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
  • Be envious of others and believe others envy them
  • Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
  • Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office
At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they perceive as criticism, and they can:

• Become impatient or angry when they don't receive special treatment
  • Have significant interpersonal problems and easily feel slighted
  • React with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior
  • Have difficulty regulating emotions and behavior
  • Experience major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change
  • Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection
  • Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation"

Last edited:
A word that you detest

Hmmm, I really can't think of any f-n words I dislike, at the moment. :unsure:

Vacay, too. Vacation is only one more syllable but I guess it takes too long to say.

OK, now I can think of words that I detest!
Vacay and convo, although there is nothing detestable about either word in their original form...the contraction is the actual detestable part. In turn, that reflects[badly] on the user that passed off these two lazy-inspired contractions as acceptable forms in communication.

One 3 letter abbreviation that sets me off: ISO....meaning "in search of", usually posted on some Facebook group, where the poster is asking strangers on the internet where to find something. My thought: this person is already on the internet, why don't they go ahead and google it!?!?! 😖

I can't give you enough likes for that, Lara. A few years ago everyone on the internet had a narcissistic mother, a controlling husband or a boyfriend who was trying to gaslight them.
Yes, those three: narcissistic ,controlling and gaslight-ing have become buzz words to describe and assign blame in broken relationships.
I often suspect that it "might be" the teller of the story as being the culpable one....

Sort of on this topic... several years ago I was regularly watching a toddler for a close friend. When she was about 3-1/2, we were talking about colors and I said something about brown. She said very matter of factly, "I don't like brown."

It struck me as odd that she'd have such a strong negative opinion of a color so I asked why she didn't like it. She pondered for a minute before saying, "It's a very sweaty color." I still laugh about that one because she was so right. Brown IS a sweaty color!

Sounds like this person should run for public office. Mike

"Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder and the severity of symptoms vary. People with the disorder can:

• Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
  • Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
  • Exaggerate achievements and talents
  • Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
  • Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
  • Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
  • Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
  • Take advantage of others to get what they want
  • Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
  • Be envious of others and believe others envy them
  • Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
  • Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office
At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they perceive as criticism, and they can:

• Become impatient or angry when they don't receive special treatment
  • Have significant interpersonal problems and easily feel slighted
  • React with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior
  • Have difficulty regulating emotions and behavior
  • Experience major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change
  • Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection
  • Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation"

My husband agrees with you. I'll say, "Oh it's going to rain on the new snow and make slush, I hate slush!" and he'll say, all prissy-like, "Hate is such a strong word." I hate when he does that.

And yet I've never heard someone call a woman a prick. No excuses, Dseag2! ( I like your new avatar!)
Thank you! I was out walking by the lake and decided to take a selfie.

And you'll get no excuses from me! :)

One word I've always despised is "tasty". I don't know why, but every time I hear it, it's like nails on a chalkboard.

Does anyone else have a hated word or phrase?
When I first saw the thread title, and figured we can only pick one, one at the top of my list would be
YUMMY. Fine if it comes from a toddler, but sounds rather childish when adults say it.

Back