All Goats, All The Time

View attachment 54600

More than 100 goats escaped their enclosure and migrated to an Idaho neighborhood Friday morning.
The 118 adult and baby goats roamed the manicured lawns in Boise, the Idaho Statesman reported.
The goat-palooza calmly chewed grass and munched on branches.

Neighbors, including adults and children, were pleased to pet the friendly animals.
They won't have to mow the lawn for a week or so.

March is just around the corner....time to "Go Fly a Goat"!
iu

March is just around the corner....time to "Go Fly a Goat"!
iu
I wouldn't have known that was supposed to be a goat. Still can't see a goat in there, to be honest. If asked, I would have speculated that it was meant to be a devil or demon.

Never figured out how to see hidden pictures in "magic eye" posters either, so perhaps it's just me. ("Just relax your eyes," people would say. What? Other than closing them, I don't know how to relax my eyes. Nor can I relax my ears, for that matter.)

They have used Boer meat goats around here for years to keep the underbrush and weeds under control along the river banks. They have had a few escapes in the past, but that was remedied by adding more highly trained herd dogs. The towns pay the goatherds $30K for a few weeks, plus goatherders sell off the weathers in the late fall. It adds up to a win win for the meat goat herders.

The public has to be reminded every year, that the goats and dogs are there to work and not to pet. Goats are nibblers and not grazers. They prefer stripping brush and small trees. If you want grass mowed, then you would want a sheep herd.

64d3b23946e47.hires.jpg

In one area, this spring, they used temporary electric fencing above the banks, and were able to control over 1000 goats with two herders and no herd dogs, just one pet dog, an old retired sheep dog to entertain the little kids while their mamas worked, and greet the visiting children and they could pet him and keep a distance and not distract the working goats.

25164248poMVwJNX.jpg

Last edited:

Back