All The Live long Day...."Now departing on Track Two"!

Interior of a railway carriage, showing several items of New Zealand Railways picnic equipment, ca. 1920s.
Street%2Bfashion%2C%2Bca.%2B1920s%2B(18).jpg

If you like trains, North Platte, Nebraska is the place to go. You can go up in the Golden Spike Tower and look out at the largest train yards in the country. Fascinating to watch all the activity.

North Platte was also where the troop trains stopped for a few hours. Word would go out that a troop train was due in an hour and even if it was 2 a.m., the ladies would start making sandwiches and coffee and the girls would put on their prettiest dresses and get the phonograph loaded for dancing. My dad had told me that his train had stopped there for a couple of hours and that he had had a "swell" time. I looked through the photo books in the museum for an hour to see if I could find him.
What a great story! Thanks jujube!
410f6016e8c147131605ce6ca4ca076c--the-train-videos-of.jpg

UP Bailey Yard (Largest railroad classification yard in the world) is on my bucket list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey_Yard

yard_large-1400x522-2018.jpgyard_large-1400x522-2018.jpg

www.goldenspiketower.com

Live audio stream of UP Bailey Yard operations

www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/27316

Any railfans with VHF high band capable scanners can monitor UP Bailey Yard operations on:

160.68 MHz Train dispatcher
161.325 MHz Crew dispatcher
160.35 MHz East hump operations
160.905 MHz West hump operations
161.115 MHz Eastbound run through tracks
161.445 MHz Westbound run through tracks

Last edited:
The distant sound of a train is about as fine as the best music and I love it.

I had two trips on trains back in the 1960's:
From ElPaso, TX to San Diego (for Navy boot camp)
And from San Francisco, CA to Norfolk, VA for training.

I really enjoyed both trips, the food was good and I slept like a baby. The scenery was great.

On the trip from San Francisco to Norfolk we went through Chicago where we picked up about 30 sailors who had just gotten out of the Navy Brig and were headed to their new ships. That train trip really got wild when they came aboard. They drank everything on the train and bought more booze at every train stop.

For those of you who like illustrated stories, I have attached 3 stories of trips I have taken on trains. I have also attached a slide show of some trains.

Attachments

• Around the world in 16 days 2006.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • Trains across Colorado 2005.pdf
    441.7 KB · Views: 0
  • NEW ENGLAND FALL FOLIAGE BY RAIL 2012.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • Train slides [Compatibility Mode].pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 2

Back