All Things Food Related

Bad timing, food wise. My daughter shopped for me and for her family. My neighbor shopped for her family. My frig went into death-throws. Nobody had much room to store my food. A week later, the repair person shows up (today). I emptied the frig and freezer. Soggy or moldy everything. I hate wasting food! I tried to save some stuff that didn't smell bad. If you don't hear from me after a day or two, you will know that I did myself in by eating questionable things. Oh, by the way - the frig isn't fixed... the part won't be in until Monday. /-;

Bad timing, food wise. My daughter shopped for me and for her family. My neighbor shopped for her family. My frig went into death-throws. Nobody had much room to store my food. A week later, the repair person shows up (today). I emptied the frig and freezer. Soggy or moldy everything. I hate wasting food! I tried to save some stuff that didn't smell bad. If you don't hear from me after a day or two, you will know that I did myself in by eating questionable things. Oh, by the way - the frig isn't fixed... the part won't be in until Monday. /-;
Oh, I am so sorry! Please be careful Em!

Please don't eat anything that's been sitting in there all this time. Just because it's cool doesn't mean it's safe. Do you have somewhere you can order food for delivery that could tide you over till Monday?

Please don't eat anything that's been sitting in there all this time. Just because it's cool doesn't mean it's safe. Do you have somewhere you can order food for delivery that could tide you over till Monday?
Thanks for the warning, but I'm currently swallowing part of the whole big bag of once-frozen chicken breasts that I threw into the crockpot. I also fried up a large supply of thawed burger and hash browns... I will then go for food delivery as suggested, to get me through Monday. What a pain (not stomach yet) - but, despite the big bath towel I set in the bottom of the freezer, it melted from somewhere saturating the area rugs and flooding the floor on a day when it has rained almost non-stop so humidity is high. I'm going to see if my neighbor has room now to store the cooked items... maybe refreeze them. Ho hum.... Next question, I wonder if microwaves kill bad bacteria? I'll Google that later!

That stinks. I hate that.

My last one died after only 7 years and I knew what it needed. Being in the country, the parts place was one hour away. I did my research, looked up the part#, had the guy there verify it, and took the part home. The manufacturer changed the style of the part (it was a fan) without modifying the part# so it didn't fit. Rather than endure even more 2 hour round trips, I bought a new fridge. And off to the landfill with the old one, which was mostly still good.

The worse part is wasting all that food. As you said, I hate wasting food! Yu can't get same-day repairs or appliance delivery, so it's unavoidable.

That stinks. I hate that.

My last one died after only 7 years and I knew what it needed. Being in the country, the parts place was one hour away. I did my research, looked up the part#, had the guy there verify it, and took the part home. The manufacturer changed the style of the part (it was a fan) without modifying the part# so it didn't fit. Rather than endure even more 2 hour round trips, I bought a new fridge. And off to the landfill with the old one, which was mostly still good.

The worse part is wasting all that food. As you said, I hate wasting food! Yu can't get same-day repairs or appliance delivery, so it's unavoidable.
My frig is now 20 years old, but in the last 20 years, this is only the third time that it needed repair. Bottom line, it is still far cheaper to pay for repairs than to buy a comparable new one - and, as you indicated, they probably aren't making them as good as in the good old days! A seven year lifespan is horrible!

Who here makes homemade stew with parsley?

Back