All Three Defendants Guilty - Murder of Ahmaud Arbery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both McMichaels were sentenced to life + 20yrs without parole. Bryan got life with possibility of parole. Justice was served in this modern day lynching. The judge did a good job, he considered everything and thought it out before his sentencing verdict.

Rest peacefully Mr. Arbery, sympathy to your family.

Only one of them had the gun, maybe it went off by accident ? or was purposely fired ?

Regardless, how can all three be charged with murder ? Accomplice ? maybe,accessory to ? maybe. But murder for all three ?

I expect & hope there will be an appeal, if so perhaps the incident will be looked at more closely ?
You should be looked at more closely.

Regardless, how can all three be charged with murder ? Accomplice ? maybe,accessory to ? maybe. But murder for all three ?
Without looking at GA law, it can be greatly assumed it patterns a general law like Ohio's.

Whoever is charged with complicity in the commission of an offense, shall be prosecuted and punished as if he were a Principal offender, or under the Complicity statute. Unlike Wharton's Rule of criminal law or Concerted action.

I'm not. While I'm normally against capital punishment I much preferred the gallows here because of premeditation.

I disagree with any hint of premeditation ...... they were merely attempting a citizens arrest.

Had the jogger not rushed the man holding the shotgun ....... he might well be alive today.

I disagree with any hint of premeditation ...... they were merely attempting a citizens arrest.

Had the jogger not rushed the man holding the shotgun ....... he might well be alive today.

According to the arguments in court, the flaw in that "citizens' arrest" theory is that Mr. Arbery hadn't committed any crime within the category that the old citizens' arrest law even covered, or, indeed, any crime at all. The defendants may have seen him enter a property under construction, but that was all; and that wasn't even criminal trespass because he didn't take or damage anything, which would have been only a misdemeanor anyway. And the old citizens' arrest law didn't cover misdemeanors.

Defendants posited that they "thought" he was the one who took a gun from an unlocked car some time earlier and some other burglaries that may or may not have happened, but they did not see him do it and there was no proof or even formal accusation that he had done it. They just thought he must have done it because he was a black man who sometimes jogged through their white neighborhood.

Too bad nature doesn't have an "Automatic Filter" that doesn't permit ignorant racists like these 3 to be born.
Are racists born or made?

I suspect most are made, in the South (US) where I grew up racism was, and to some extent still is, common. However in my lifetime I have seen a lot of change, a lot less racism. Still too much, but less. These people have the same genes as their predecessors.

According to the arguments in court, the flaw in that "citizens' arrest" theory is that Mr. Arbery hadn't committed any crime within the category that the old citizens' arrest law even covered, or, indeed, any crime at all. The defendants may have seen him enter a property under construction, but that was all; and that wasn't even criminal trespass because he didn't take or damage anything, which would have been only a misdemeanor anyway. And the old citizens' arrest law didn't cover misdemeanors.

Defendants posited that they "thought" he was the one who took a gun from an unlocked car some time earlier and some other burglaries that may or may not have happened, but they did not see him do it and there was no proof or even formal accusation that he had done it. They just thought he must have done it because he was a black man who sometimes jogged through their white neighborhood.

"
"They just thought he must have done it because he was a black man who sometimes jogged through their white neighborhood."

So you are a mind reader ? And know what they were thinking ? Or did they actually state the above ?

Again, why did he [jogger] not just surrender to the "arrest" wait for the police to arrive, and argue it out then ? I still believe if he had ......... he would be alive today.

When I was having this house built .... twice contractors supplies/tools were stolen. It turned into a huge argument with the contractor & insurance companies ........... I wish neighbors would have stopped both of them ...... [might have been the same guy twice]?

Like Quote

First of all, you do not attempt to effect a citizens arrest wielding a shotgun. Second, you turn a corner and see a man pointing a scatter gun at you, the impulse/instinct/instant reaction would probably be that an automatic self defense mode takes over. That is preposterous to assign ANY blame to Ahmaud, it was not at the OK corall!

Again, why did he [jogger] not just surrender to the "arrest" wait for the police to arrive, and argue it out then ? I still believe if he had ......... he would be alive today.
Nonsense! Wyatt Earp and his henchmen were not wearing any type of uniforms or any other insignia they may have been police! If they had any brains, attempting to make a citizens arrest with a Shotgun, is beyond stupid. Even if the required "You are under arrest" words were uttered, so what? Since you are saying Ahmaud should have surrendered and waited for the police, we can say the same for the Three blind mice, call the police and wait. The so called arrest for the alleged crime was for a NON violent offense! It does not warrant the actions of the pursuers, period.

Nonsense! Wyatt Earp and his henchmen were not wearing any type of uniforms or any other insignia they may have been police! If they had any brains, attempting to make a citizens arrest with a Shotgun, is beyond stupid. Even if the required "You are under arrest" words were uttered, so what? Since you are saying Ahmaud should have surrendered and waited for the police, we can say the same for the Three blind mice, call the police and wait. The so called arrest for the alleged crime was for a NON violent offense! It does not warrant the actions of the pursuers, period.

What good would it have done to announce the intended arrest .... and not hold the suspect at the scene ? Do you really think he [jogger] would have just complied, had there been no 'holding him? Speaking only for myself .... seeing the gun would have frozen me in my tracks. That surely would have been the smart thing for him to do as well.

Frankly, since he was 'holding' nothing , apparently stole nothing .... it would have [IMO] been a good lawsuit against the three, had he complied.

First of all, you do not attempt to effect a citizens arrest wielding a shotgun. Second, you turn a corner and see a man pointing a scatter gun at you, the impulse/instinct/instant reaction would probably be that an automatic self defense mode takes over. That is preposterous to assign ANY blame to Ahmaud, it was not at the OK corall!

Again , I disagree ..... a citizen can attempt an arrest ..... however he/she sees fit. If that person is wrong ? .... then the law will come after them.

In the case of a person holding a shotgun on me , my instant reaction.responce is to freeze in place.

"And the old citizens' arrest law didn't cover misdemeanors."

And you are an expert on Georgia law ? ......... Show me where the above is written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back