Anybody agile, or ever been?

I'm more agile now(almost 70) than I was in my 40s; of course weighing 120 lb.s less makes a big difference. I regularly do Taichi / Qigong, and hold my own in Yoga with the younger participants. My balance is not consistent in Yogic one-legged stances, I have to practice more / work more diligently.

View attachment 214350
Much respect for losing that weight, I know it wasn't easy, glad you are much healthier now. When I was younger I took a TaiChi class, enjoyed it very much, had a good teacher. I've done a little bit of martial arts too for a short time. I tried Yoga, but it bothered my neck and lower back, it wasn't a beginner's class but they welcomed everyone. I tried to keep up, but it wasn't happening. I always love exercise classes with dancing like Zumba or Jazzercise. I haven't even been stretching for years now, just taking daily long walks, doing housework and yardwork. So I'm not as agile as when I was young for sure, but not too bad at 69. Good that you are still active like that Nathan, you're more energetic and motivated than I am, kudos.

@SeaBreeze , Yoga can be a bit 'much' but fortunately there's many different forms to choose from. Qigong(whichTaichi is a subset of) has been referred to as Chinese Yoga, and indeed shares many forms and poses with Yoga, standing and no getting down on the mat.
Thanks, I didn't know that. The only Yoga I experienced was a class from the gym I was going to, and it was all mat work or some things on exercise ball. Wasn't loving it either. The girl teaching it didn't seem to be very connected herself, but I can't blame anyone, others seemed to be doing well there. I stopped going to the gym (not the one with the Yoga class I attended) at the beginning of the pandemic, Silver Sneakers enrollment. Since then they completely closed down, and I've had no interest or energy to start at another gym. They did have a Yoga class there in the morning, that I never took advantage of. My mornings are dedicated to walks in nature with my doggo. :)

Thanks, I didn't know that. The only Yoga I experienced was a class from the gym I was going to, and it was all mat work or some things on exercise ball. Wasn't loving it either. The girl teaching it didn't seem to be very connected herself, but I can't blame anyone, others seemed to be doing well there. I stopped going to the gym (not the one with the Yoga class I attended) at the beginning of the pandemic, Silver Sneakers enrollment. Since then they completely closed down, and I've had no interest or energy to start at another gym. They did have a Yoga class there in the morning, that I never took advantage of. My mornings are dedicated to walks in nature with my doggo. :)
I do enjoy participating at the gym or in a group, but one "plus" from the Covid lockdown is the experience of following videos and working out at home. Youtube literally has millions of workout videos to choose from. Sarah Starr does a really great chair based Yoga, of course their are many others to choose from.

@SeaBreeze , Yoga can be a bit 'much' but fortunately there's many different forms to choose from. Qigong(whichTaichi is a subset of) has been referred to as Chinese Yoga, and indeed shares many forms and poses with Yoga, standing and no getting down on the mat.
Nathan, are there diff levels of Tai Chi?
My friend and I were talking about taking up Tai Chi earlier today. So, I was wondering if it's like yoga, w/diff types and levels.
Thx....And, is it always done outdoors? which is fine with me.

Nathan, are there diff levels of Tai Chi?
My friend and I were talking about taking up Tai Chi earlier today. So, I was wondering if it's like yoga, w/diff types and levels.
Thx....And, is it always done outdoors? which is fine with me.
Yes, Taichi practice can accommodate the needs of the participant. One Taichi practitioner I 'borrow' from in my own sessions is Don Fiore, he is a senior himself and presents a modified version of the Taichi forms.

Thanks, @RadishRose, for your thoughtful words! I definitely am not as confident as I used to be in my younger years where I danced and ran and jumped...Just walking, and going up and down stairs one foot at a time, haha. :)
Right there with ya; I was doing handstands and cartwheels at 50 and now, at 57, since I've become unwell, my hips never shut up and my left knee complains at the stairs most days. It seemed to happen so fast too. One day, cartwheels, the next, I'm actually contemplating the act of getting out of bed before doing it. A little warning would have been nice... LOL (Thank the blue sky for yoga.)

PS: You were missed at the last Coffee Klatch. :)

iu

Right there with ya; I was doing handstands and cartwheels at 50 and now, at 57, since I've become unwell, my hips never shut up and my left knee complains at the stairs most days. It seemed to happen so fast too. One day, cartwheels, the next, I'm actually contemplating the act of getting out of bed before doing it. A little warning would have been nice... LOL (Thank the blue sky for yoga.)

PS: You were missed at the last Coffee Klatch. :)
I am sorry to hear of your advance toward unwell, as long as you keep gentle movement part of your life I believe the aches and pains can be lessened. I have osteoarthritis* and need regular movement to keep my troublesome joints usable.

* I amazed myself, I spelled "osteoarthritis" correctly without spellchecker! Now that's spooky... :unsure:

I am sorry to hear of your advance toward unwell, as long as you keep gentle movement part of your life I believe the aches and pains can be lessened. I have osteoarthritis* and need regular movement to keep my troublesome joints usable.

* I amazed myself, I spelled "osteoarthritis" correctly without spellchecker! Now that's spooky... :unsure:
Yoga. ♥
Thank you for kind words. :)

I feel I am still very agile and Yoga helps me stay that way. I can still do a split, handstands, cartwheels, back bridges, etc. Now do I get more aches and pains than I once did when I was 20 and 30 and did these same things, sure I do but that does not stop me because I don't want to end up getting stiff.

I also just turned 50 years old back in late February so even though I still try and keep up with my almost 17 year old daughter and that doesn't always happen or doesn't happen with great success with some things mom can still hang with her. :)

Back