Anyone else into Brit TV and Film

Some of my favorites include Happy Valley (very dark) , Monarch on the Glen (breezy fun), Baileykissagnel (breezy fun) , and The Last Kingdom (historical fun). For those who enjoyed Netflix's production of House of Cards , I would suggest you watch the original House of Cards if you haven't already.

Some of my favorites include Happy Valley (very dark) , Monarch on the Glen (breezy fun), Baileykissagnel (breezy fun) , and The Last Kingdom (historical fun). For those who enjoyed Netflix's production of House of Cards , I would suggest you watch the original House of Cards if you haven't already.

You have great taste, Mark. The British House of Cards was too funny.

Brit TV is my favorite. I do not have any streaming service; but I am fortunate the local library has or will get most of my favorites in DVD. I prefer mysteries: Sherlock with Jeremy Brett, A Touch of Frost, The Last Detective, Morse, Lewis, Endeavor early episodes of Midsomer Murders, Vera, Quark, Inspector Lynley and more!

Yes to all of those except 'Quark'. Never heard of it --- I'll look it up. Apparently you don't like later episodes of Midsomer?

Some of my favorites include Happy Valley (very dark)...... For those who enjoyed Netflix's production of House of Cards , I would suggest you watch the original House of Cards if you haven't already.

Absolutely on the original House of Cards. Yeah, liked Happy Valley. Want darker? Wire in the Blood.

The OP mentioned I Claudius. This is an oldie and is acted as if it was an English drawing room drama but it was riveting when I watched it about 40 years ago. It dealt with violent events without depicting explicit gratuitous violence. The Brits are good at leaving some things to the imagination of the audience and this can be just as horrific without blood, gore and explosions. They are good at plot and character development.

The OP mentioned I Claudius. This is an oldie and is acted as if it was an English drawing room drama but it was riveting when I watched it about 40 years ago. It dealt with violent events without depicting explicit gratuitous violence. The Brits are good at leaving some things to the imagination of the audience and this can be just as horrific without blood, gore and explosions. They are good at plot and character development.

That's exactly why 75% of our TV viewing are series and films out of Britain. Most of the rest are foreign films from various countries. American TV is mostly, simply, godawful.

I absolutely love British TV, when it's good. I don't automatically love every show because it's British.

I subscribe to Acorn, a streaming channel which features only British shows. (Including Irish). It has several programs that I'm enjoying immensely. One is The Detectorists, a delightful comedy with quiet, laid-back humor, about two nerdy middle-aged men who are obsessed with finding treasures with their metal detectors. They belong to a club whose membership is pretty much all eccentric characters, who take their "detectoring" very seriously. It's filmed in Essex.

Another one I've just started watching is Suspects, a good police procedural show. The only bad part is that the dialogue is sometimes hard to follow, maybe because I'm an American. But I turn on the subtitles, and there's no problem.

If you like Stephen Fry, try Q-I, a very funny quiz show/ panel discussion. (Also, if you liked Jonathan Creek, Alan Davies is one of the panelists.)

Acorn costs about $5.98 a month, well worth it.

QI is hysterical...it's been on for many years , and still hasn't lost it's comedic value... it helps that they choose intelligent comedians to be part of the panel...so you not only laugh out loud at the comedy aspect but it's an educational quiz too.. great fun.

We have a few similar to that but QI is my favourite.

The trouble is, each episode features subjects beginning with one letter of the alphabet. Acorn only has the episodes up to about I, so I've only gotten through that part of the alphabet. Where's the rest of it?

Back