Are men more interested in things and women more interested in people?

Well, maybe Marty Robbins said it best:

That is so F--ing sick! What is wrong with you that you are this way. You are so pure as the driven snow? And women come creeping out from the pits of hell to torment you? Your kind of men are truly scary. Do you have any idea of how many wives and girlfriends are murdered by men who think the way you do every year? STOP THAT!!!

Last edited:
That is the typical male response. Don't patronize me when I'm saying what is the truth.

It seems that it's mainly a truism. Tell me what you think.
It sounds a tad sexist to me.

I get into things more than I get into people.
Woodworking, music, artwork, jewelry making, sewing are some things I like to do.
I’m just not THAT into people.

My husband gets into things equally as passionately but is more social than I am.

Not entirely on topic, but your question reminded me of a project I did in a Sociology class in college. My theory was that men observe things differently things differently than women, even if it is the same thing they are looking at. OK..I worded it better than that. What I did was had an old picture of a man in a military uniform. I think Civil War. Just the man, no distracting background.
I showed it to an equal number of men and women for, I think 45 seconds. I then turned it over and asked them to describe the picture. The majority of the MEN described his uniform in great detail (medals, helmet, etc) while the majority of females described his appearance ...dark hair, facial hair, looks (ie handsome).
My theory was that men would see the details of what he was wearing, while the females would remember his appearance first. I was right.

That is so F--ing sick! What is wrong with you that you are this way. You are so pure as the driven snow? And women come creeping out from the pits of hell to torment you? Your kind of men are truly scary. Do you have any idea of how many wives and girlfriends are murdered by men who think the way you do every year? STOP THAT!!!

(Not being sarcastic of joking). Hey, not bad! I see some writing talent there. Have you done any writing? Screenwriting?

I'll take that as a compliment and your way of saying sorry. Sure, why not. Yes, women can drive men a little nutty, but only if men haven't learned to interpret woman-speak, as well as women needing to interpret man-speak.

Red Green, a great Canadian philosopher, said that women look at relationships as a garden. They like to dig down into the roots and understand what is going on. Men, look at relationships as a new car. Once they decide to get one, they expect it to run along with minimal tinkering.

I can't speak for all women or all men but in my house.....

I can read people way better...I'm better at offering a word of comfort.

But I fail at fixin things..

I don't know if this is applicable here but when reading the question, this quote popped into my mind: It is speaking of conversation and is attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt but cannot be confirmed.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."
Mrs Roosevelt may or may not have used this quote herself but its origin appears to be somewhat older.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/11/18/great-minds/

I wrote something on a thread of mine in my early tenure here

I think it applies to this thread
If not...there's that scroll feature

Wimin

The most mysterious beings of our planet

I found out long ago, about sixty years or so, that gaining favor with the finer gender of our specie is not necessarily in my best interest.
Whole different frequency
Wired different
Fiber optic vs 9 gauge single conductor
Fascinating, mystical, attractive, you bet
Sensitivities I’d never remotely considered
But, hanging with a group of ladies?

Can’t

Mentally; exhausting

Socially; this ogre doesn’t stand a chance
oftentimes due to the long suppressed threatening fart,
created from gulping breakfast,
having worked its way backward into the upper reaches of my esophagus

Spiritually; beyond any reach I may have thought I had

Physically; like looking into the sun, can go blind if obsessing too long

Gaining favor?
Whimsical touches
Nothing of depth
Any more than that and I find myself precariously dangling off a mental precipice

I can do one, maybe two per sitting
and that is mostly because they sense my discomfort to the point of putting forth effort to discuss what I’m interested in
I’ve learned to pick up on this and placate for a bit, then find a way to excuse myself

I don’t avoid ladies, but have learned not to seek them out
It’s what shops are for

I’ve been fortunate

My lady has put up with me for half a century

When I become too much and I (for some unknown reason) anger her,
I found placing my calloused hand on the small of her back will still cause her to flinch
….and she begrudgingly forgives me

We have had this tryst, this romance that has yet to fade

She’s plenty for me

Forever

So, here I remain
Baffled, yet attracted at the mysteries, complexities
A sentry
A defender
A protector
A willing grunt

Keeping the fire

best I can

moi.jpg

Perhaps some of the differences are more prevalent in older people. Many young men these days are much more comfortable dealing with complex emotions without discomfort. Indeed, many state they prefer the company of women because they don’t have to channel macho. Lol

Many young men these days are much more comfortable dealing with complex emotions without discomfort. Indeed, many state they prefer the company of women because they don’t have to channel macho

Yeah, I don't do well with those types either

Not sure what channeling macho is, but it seems an effort foreign to me

Even the word 'macho'

Men are men...at least the ones I know

Boys these days? I don't think they even know what they are

Last edited:
Interesting how the view of manliness differs from person to person, as does the perception of what constitutes femininity. I can think both literally and laterally, as can my son. He is annoying in many ways, but remains very masculine in all his masculine complexity. I have been called unfeminine because I am often logical. Lol. So many societal constructs, I ignore them, that way lies a caged mind for me.

Back