Are you concerned about the amount of misinformation on TV/ web?

Most of us are connected to the internet. We can find out all kinds of great and dumb facts, instantaneously. But there is an element about that information, which we dealt with before, but not to this extent. In our nation's past, we've had and still have a biased press. They were usually outlets for political parties or specific causes. However, we have entities (rogue states, political parties, causes, the fringe), who deliberately set out to misinform and to create havoc in our political system. What do you think of such entities? Is this overblown? Or a real problem? Are you concerned about the amount of misinformation on TV/ web?

People will believe what they want to believe. As I posted in another thread, the internet is a medium that allows fringe members of society to find one another. They reinforce each other's beliefs with their ridiculous misinformation. The more intelligent among us know to carefully research a given subject before drawing conclusions. The internet makes that easier, in truth. The negative side is that the less intelligent are more willing to accept, at face value, the more outlandish things they may come across, online. This was going on before the internet. It's just easier, now, with it.

Hey, if people knew how to accurately evaluate information, we wouldn't have the wonderful world of advertising!

I think a lot of the misinformation or even bias has been in the media for decades except now they are called out on it much more.

Remember the syndicated talk shows with Sally Jesse, Geraldo or Donahue-that's when a lot of this started because the guests they had were biased one way. Same for many magazines. Or even the editorials printed or practiced.

I am very concerned about the misinformation we see and hear everyday, and things are only going to get worse. I just heard about something called DeepFake software being developed. It makes it able for you to use some ones face saying something but it isn't the real person that shows. You can turn any face into someone elses and make a video. Believe me it's time to be worried.

Hey, if people knew how to accurately evaluate information, we wouldn't have the wonderful world of advertising!
and there it is

I don't give a whit as to what we're trying to be fed

I do have a rather large concern for the masses going for seconds

Last edited:
ha ha oh what a kick yalls given me... disinformation on the internet and in the media? what a crock. what about the bad information you were taught in school. columbus discovered america, he never saw nor set foot on north america instead landed in the carribean on the island of hispanola (Christopher Columbus landed on Hispaniola on December 5, 1492 and named it La Isla Española, "The Spanish Island"). We are often told that the pilgrims were the first european settlers who came to america in 1621 but the spanish had a settlement in st augustine fl in 1565 making them the first europeans to settle in america, however none of this takes into account the vikings in martha vineyard some 500 years prior to that. so disinformation, ya lots of it!!!!

As Jack Nicholson said, ''You can't handle the truth'' from ( A few good men ). If they told us the truth. ''We couldn't handle the truth.'' You are correct, history as recorded has alot of information that in wrong. The more we advance as a human race these errors become more evident. What will we do with all our history books?
ha ha oh what a kick yalls given me... disinformation on the internet and in the media? what a crock. what about the bad information you were taught in school. columbus discovered america, he never saw nor set foot on north america instead landed in the carribean on the island of hispanola (Christopher Columbus landed on Hispaniola on December 5, 1492 and named it La Isla Española, "The Spanish Island"). We are often told that the pilgrims were the first european settlers who came to america in 1621 but the spanish had a settlement in st augustine fl in 1565 making them the first europeans to settle in america, however none of this takes into account the vikings in martha vineyard some 500 years prior to that. so disinformation, ya lots of it!!!!

It's weird but I don't really worry about misinformation on the net. Mostly because I don't expect to find truth there anyway. So it's no major crisis when I don't. Thinking for oneself is the most important lesson a person can learn. Just IMHO.

It's weird but I don't really worry about misinformation on the net. Mostly because I don't expect to find truth there anyway. So it's no major crisis when I don't. Thinking for oneself is the most important lesson a person can learn. Just IMHO.

Yes, but thinking for yourself is precisely what many people choose not to do. They prefer to take notice of what others tell them. Hence it's easy to brainwash the masses.

For myself, no I am not. I have enough faith in my ability to separate the wheat from the chaff (my bulls**t meter has always been in good working order). I take in a lot of information from diverse sources, and research news that interests me, so I'm getting a well balanced stream of ideas and viewpoints. And facts.

As to what others absorb from social media and news sources, I'm suspicious about what the average person believes to be true. "There's a sucker born every minute," P. T. Barnum supposedly said.It's a costly folly to believe passionately in what is obviously not true.

The "History Channel" has a story about how the Nazis may have sent rockets to the moon, in the 1940s. Considering that the Nazis , in reality, had trouble getting the V2 to fly across the English Channel, flying to the moon was definitely out of the equation. Of course, the TV program had "experts", who hinted that the Nazis actually did that. The problem with playing fast and loose with the facts is that when it comes to a true fact, it makes it harder for that fact to be accepted as a fact. You get truths like this: Hilter is still alive and living in Argentina, kept alive by the same nine space aliens ,who appeared to the Mayans thousands of years ago, and who were instrumental in the crash in Roswell, and the Kennedy Assasination, as planned by the inter-galatic federation, based in the Bermuda Traingle, where NASA shot the fake moon landing.

Back