Are you going to try the new "meatless" whopper?

I have always had a "greaseburger and diesel fries". Have not had fast food in a very long time, so will not be trying anything new.

Burger King has had a veggie burger for years that I got tired of the taste of. I would like to try the new Impossible Whopper though. As soon as my impossible window will roll down on my car...:ROFLMAO:

First of all "Burger Thing" is not a place I visit. Never have liked their food or their weird looking king.
Second, when I want a burger I want a carnivore's delight not some fast food "Ersatz are Us" concoction.

My son has tried it and said it is just like their regular burger, the consistency is like real meat, and he couldn't tell the difference. They also have tacos on the menu now. He said he couldn't even swallow the first bite. I'd like to try the burger but also have to eat gluten free.

I read that Burger King's Impossible Whopper is a Morning Star veggie burger (not sure that's correct). I also read that it's healthier to have a lean sirloin burger but it does meet Vegan requirements if you "hold the mayo" since that's typically made with eggs. The amount of saturated fat, although less than a traditional Whopper, is still high, despite it being from coconut.

Nutrition Facts for Burger King's Impossible Whopper
(including the lettuce tomato onion pickle mayo ketchup and bun):
  • Calories: 630
  • Fat: 34 grams
  • Saturated fat: 11 grams
  • Sodium: 1,080 grams
  • Carbohydrates: 58 grams
  • Fiber: 4 grams
  • Protein: 25 grams
  • Sugar: 12 grams
"The ingredient list on the plant-based burger is also long, so it’s not considered a ‘clean’ label. A main ingredient, soy protein concentrate, is a highly processed, highly refined form of soy bean. It is also high in sodium like many highly processed foods which is something to be cautious about.”
~ Beth Warren, RDN, founder of Beth Warren Nutrition

Favorable review regarding only taste, texture, and appearance comparison to the regular Whopper:

Last edited:
Burger King hasn't yet started carrying their meatless burgers in my area, but as I bring meatless burgers home from the supermarket, I'd certainly try one. Their taste has improved over the years, and several varieties are available.

Make your own veggie burgers, my friends. Just put your favorite veggies in a good food processor. Give them a go. Put in a bowl. Slowly add (very low-gluten) Spelt flour or any gluten-free flour you like. Add a tablespoon of egg replacer, and one of non-aluminum baking powder. Slowly add water. Hand process until everything stays together, and you can form patties. Put the bowl in the fridge for about an hour. Take it out, make thin(ish) patties. Throw on a grill, and turn until browned. Far better for you, far better tasting than any processed veggie patties out there. Yeah, eat that new Whopper, eat all kinds of animal fats that contaminate them. Just say, "Hell no!"

Make your own veggie burgers, my friends. Just put your favorite veggies in a good food processor. Give them a go. Put in a bowl. Slowly add (very low-gluten) Spelt flour or any gluten-free flour you like. Add a tablespoon of egg replacer, and one of non-aluminum baking powder. Slowly add water. Hand process until everything stays together, and you can form patties. Put the bowl in the fridge for about an hour. Take it out, make thin(ish) patties. Throw on a grill, and turn until browned. Far better for you, far better tasting than any processed veggie patties out there. Yeah, eat that new Whopper, eat all kinds of animal fats that contaminate them. Just say, "Hell no!"

Sounds delicious, TG. What vegetables do you typically use, and roughly what proportion of GF flour to how much veggie matter?

No, I'm anti-substitute anything. Don't do sugar substitutes, give me C&H, don't substitute turkey for beef, etc.. Came into this world natural, plan on going out that way, and, since I'm here, SHOW ME THE BEEF :D! Don...

Sounds delicious, TG. What vegetables do you typically use, and roughly what proportion of GF flour to how much veggie matter?
Broccoli, onion, carrot, celery, cilantro, parsley, garlic, turmeric, oregano. Can't give proportions. I add the flour, slowly, mixing as I go, until I have a mixture that I can form into patties. After chilling, it's easier to form the patties. Also, add a splash of ev olive oil to the mix.

Last edited:
It was too hot and humid to make something on the stove, so for the first time in a long time I went to Burger King for a fish sandwich and fries. How can anybody eat that crap? Awful! The bun is that bland and tasteless white bread and it swamps the flavor of the rest of the sandwich. Six bucks wasted.

Many people are moving toward meatless meals and foods less focused on animal products.

Meatless burgers are not genetically engineered - at least no more so than beef burgers. They're not actually "fake meat," but rather vegetable-based foods that taste like meat. A big difference from gunk like the rather disgusting pink slime concoction widely used in fast food burgers until Jamie Oliver and some media outlets outed them.

Meatless burgers are genetically engineered though. This is an article from newsweek:

"Created with 95 percent less land, 75 percent less water and 89 percent fewer emissions than animal burgers, the Impossible Burger is made from a genetically engineered protein derived from heme, an iron-containing molecule that is found in plants and animal muscle. Impossible Burger uses the heme found in soybeans and ferments it with yeast to create a heme protein similar to meat called soy legthemoglobin. It's heme that's responsible for the Impossible Burger's meat-like taste and red blood-like color. It contains iron and protein but no cholesterol."

Almost all soybeans in this country are genetically engineered and that's one of the main ingredients of this product.

As far as I know beef has not been genetically engineered - yet. Although they have gone ahead and developed genetically engineered salmon.:cry:

Most of the US food supply has been modified and genetically engineered to some extent. Cows, pigs and chickens have been selectively bred to create the biggest weight gain in the shortest possible period of time. They're propped up with plenty of antibiotics, vitamins and other drugs, to boot. Their feed, including plenty of soy, has been engineered to put the pounds on them.

Nearly all commercially available foods have been tweaked in the laboratories.

Meatless burgers are genetically engineered though. This is an article from newsweek:

"Created with 95 percent less land, 75 percent less water and 89 percent fewer emissions than animal burgers, the Impossible Burger is made from a genetically engineered protein derived from heme, an iron-containing molecule that is found in plants and animal muscle. Impossible Burger uses the heme found in soybeans and ferments it with yeast to create a heme protein similar to meat called soy legthemoglobin. It's heme that's responsible for the Impossible Burger's meat-like taste and red blood-like color. It contains iron and protein but no cholesterol."

Almost all soybeans in this country are genetically engineered and that's one of the main ingredients of this product.

As far as I know beef has not been genetically engineered - yet. Although they have gone ahead and developed genetically engineered salmon.:cry:
Here's a good article on what happened with soy and which soy products aren't GM:

https://www.organicauthority.com/health/what-are-the-safest-nongmo-soy-products

I'm so gonna try this . :p .but non aluminium Baking powder?.. never realised there was aluminium IN baking powder for one, or that a Non version existed. I'll have to do a little research!!

Looking at these responses I wonder what type of customer market research they did before deciding to go ahead with idea.
Here's my advice if you decide to try one. Insist on a plain one with nothing on it. That way the flavor of the patty will no be hidden by all the goodies they pile on to disguise it. I did this about 25 years ago by getting a plain hamburger by mistake at McDonalds. It was horrible!!. It was then I realized how they deliberately cover up the taste with the stuff they add on top of the meat.

Looking at these responses I wonder what type of customer market research they did before deciding to go ahead with idea.
Here's my advice if you decide to try one. Insist on a plain one with nothing on it. That way the flavor of the patty will no be hidden by all the goodies they pile on to disguise it. I did this about 25 years ago by getting a plain hamburger by mistake at McDonalds. It was horrible!!. It was then I realized how they deliberately cover up the taste with the stuff they add on top of the meat.

Meatless burgers have come about in response to growing demand.

Bill Gates is among those who've invested millions in the Impossible Foods Company.

Back