Are you still cooking over a hot stove or is it mcrowave city?

I use my stove more now that I am retired. Microwave for reheat only. I need to learn how to use crock pot. I need to use more: deep fryer, electric grill, food chopper, steamer, blender, mixer, juicer, etc. etc.

I use all ... 4 burner range and oven, toaster oven, microwave, slow cooker, whatever seem appropriate at the time.
I, too use it all...one stove/oven, one eye level oven, one countertop oven, 2 microwaves...hey,
even tried what the weatherman said would work one day in the mean season when we had "air you could wear"; cracked an egg on the car hood in the noonday sun , but nope, he lied, it didn't cook, darn.

I love to cook and use my stove daily but also use my crock pot,pressure cooker and electric fry pan. My microwave is used mostly for reheating,puddings,and cream sauces. It does a decent job cooking fish also. We have a grill which I have never mastered except for hot dogs.

Every day: stove top and microwave (am forever reheating my coffee). Use the rice cooker and the convection-toaster oven a couple of times a month. My full size double gas ovens get very heavy use from just before TG through the end of the holidays. After that, I only use a proper oven once a month or so.

Gas stove, oven. Just used the latter to make Glazed Spicy Bacon, in fact. 3 slices of which have already disappeared, strangely enough, even though it's getting towards dinnertime!

Also toaster oven plus MW for reheating. Oh, and a cordless teakettle. No air fryer or pressure cooker. I do have a sous-vide cooker, but I don't use it much.

This summer has been surprisingly cool, but we are seeing more instances of high wind/high heat/low humidity spells that last 3-5 days - these are what cause our summer fire danger. Rains don't arrive until November; last year they didn't start until mid-January!

Our weather (Northern California) varies so much, people make jokes about it. I recently saw a new one and thought it was good enough to clip. Hope you all get a giggle out of it:

CA daily seasons meme.jpg

This always makes me chuckle.
I don't even own a microwave. The little cooking I do makes my regular oven OK. When I was married in 1980, my wife was very excited to get a "Sharp Carousel" microwave oven. I didn't really care for it. I didn't like how potatoes came out - sorta mushy & weird tasting.
BTW, I also never had a cell phone.

We use an electric stove and oven nearly every day. Around once a week I will use an instant-pot, a slow cooker and a rice cooker. Microwave is used for a little reheating, but never for cooking....except popcorn.

Baked potatoes taste better if cooked in oven, also leftover pizza but it's easier & quicker to just heat in microwave.

I often eat part of a meal, then do a few other things and food gets cold. That's when microwave is handy.

My aunt and uncle (age 89 & 90) still cook a lot .....they have 2 stoves, one in kitchen and one in basement. They never had a microwave and don't want one. In warm weather they do lots of grilling.

Last edited:
My aunt and uncle (age 89 & 90) still cook a lot .....they have 2 stoves, one in kitchen and one in basement. They never had a microwave and don't want one. In warm weather they do lots of grilling.
WOW, that old and they still cook? I love cooking, never did like it before retiring, it's a new found ''hobby'' but don't know how long it will last. I don't have a microwave and don't want one.

Stove has been broke for several, have to have a propane stove; buy stove, buy adaptor, pay to have it installed. The two service in this town are thieves.
Will have to stick to microwave and crock pot, stoves are good, not that I'm a good cook, but they are darn handy;

Baked potatoes taste better if cooked in oven, also leftover pizza but it's easier & quicker to just heat in microwave.

Aaaack! Please don't do that, AC. To reheat pizza without turning on your oven (understandable), put it in a frying pan on medium heat - no oil - for a minute or two, cheese side up. Flip it over when the bottom is hot and let the top heat for about a minute.

You'll thank me, I promise.

Back