Around The Bend

Meanderer

Senior Meanderer
Original Poster
“Abraham Lincoln was a man of steel nerves, clear mental grasp, stanch convictions, and adamantine will, though withal a man of the gentlest and kindest character; and his forbearance and patience were almost infinite” Anthony Gross in his introduction of Lincoln’s Own Stories

(I read somewhere, to the effect that he was strong like a steel wire, resilient, yet not breaking.)

1864 – by Mathew Brady

Meanderer

Senior Meanderer
Original Poster
A Fistful of Film Music (AUDIO LINKS)

Welcome to the definitive collection of original Ennio Morricone movie scores from Sergio Leone's classic "Dollars" trilogy.

Never before had a movie score set the mood and spirit for a series of films the way Morricone's did for these infamously named "Spaghetti Westerns." From the twangy guitars and whistling melodies, to the gruff vocal chants and fatalistic trumpets, music and the way it was used in film would never be the same again.

All film music samples are available in RealAudio® format and play best when using the latest RealPlayer.

Meanderer

Senior Meanderer
Original Poster
Chuck Yeager discussing air combat through WW2, Korea and Vietnam. This footage came on VHS with the deluxe edition of Chuck Yeager's Air Combat flight simulation game in 1991.

Chuck Yeager on Air Combat

Meanderer

Senior Meanderer
Original Poster

A view of part of the South Water Street freight depot of the Illinois Central Railroad and buildings in downtown Chicago on May 1, 1943 #

Jack Delano / Library of Congress

Last edited:

Meanderer

Senior Meanderer
Original Poster

The night is lit up by a giant Pabst Blue Ribbon sign above Chicago's South Water Street freight terminal in April 1943. #

Jack Delano / Library of Congress

Last edited:

Meanderer

Senior Meanderer
Original Poster
"Stephen Fry is and always was a sensational actor, however speaking German this well is truly amazing. Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, late Rik Mayal and The great Rowan Atkinson together in Blackadder goes forth were treasures to be hold for ever. British comedy at it’s BEST." ....around the bend!

(Rare!) Stalag Luft (1993) - Stephen Fry

Meanderer

Senior Meanderer
Original Poster
Nat King Cole - "The Best Friend a Song Ever Had"!

The Jack Benny Program - "The Nat King Cole Show"

From Season 14 (1963-1964), broadcast January 21, 1964: Nat King Cole opens the show singing "Day In, Day Out." He exchanges some ribbing with Jack and performs "When I Fall in Love." Jack invites a few musicians from the orchestra to join him in his office to rehearse "Sweet Sue," a number they're going to perform with Cole. A fight between the musicians leaves the drummer out of commission, so Nat promises to have his cousin fill in. On the show, the "cousin" is a five-year-old who can drum louder than Jack's violin solo.

James (JBJ) Bradley Jr.

James Bradley Jr demonstrates Chuck Mangione's Land Of Make Believe

Last edited:

peppermint

I might have gone fishing...... Nancy, I am not a fisherman, but did tag along for some fly fishing, while at Fort Dix NJ. I found it boring.
I know Fort dix, NJ....Been there many times...To pick up my Dad when traveling from camp to camp...Mostly Camp Drum, NY... He lived a
couple of miles East....

RadishRose

SF VIP
"Stephen Fry is and always was a sensational actor, however speaking German this well is truly amazing. Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, late Rik Mayal and The great Rowan Atkinson together in Blackadder goes forth were treasures to be hold for ever. British comedy at it’s BEST." ....around the bend!

(Rare!) Stalag Luft (1993) - Stephen Fry
LOL, "is there a parrot in here?".....

"Ja"! animated-laughing-image-0116.gif

Meanderer

Senior Meanderer
Original Poster
THE BELLED COYOTE by Robert Fletcher (1885-1972)

Robert Fletcher (1885 - 1972) was an engineer, writer, and poet. Born in Iowa, Bob moved to Montana when he was 23 to work as a surveyor. Some years later, he went to work for the Montana Highway Commission, producing all of the state’s tourism promotional material and, ultimately, creating more than 100 highway markers (many of which still stand today), along with picnic areas, visitors’ centers, maps, and roadside museums. The author of a cowboy poetry collection called Corral Dust, Bob also wrote a nonfiction book called Free Grass to Fences, about the Montana cattle industry.