Around The Bend

fall-road-1024x692.jpg

081208_1372133207.png

Built in 1939, there’s a 25-yard pool under the gym floor. You put in a key, turn it and the gym floor parts in the middle, unveiling the pool. It served as a location for a scene from the 1946 movie “ It’s a Wonderful Life.” The fact it still works and looks so cool slowly parting 75 years later is amazing.

4vfkn2bayzp51.jpg

To the Island of Ithaca.....around the bend.

"There he makes an allusion of the legendary journey of Ulysses to the journey of every man through life and suggests that each person is looking for his own Ithaca, his personal supreme goal. However, in the end, it is not the goal but the journey that matters, because this journey makes us wise and gives people the richest good: experience, knowledge, and maturity".

athena-appearing-to-odysseus-to-reveal-the-island-of-ithaca-giuseppe-bottani.jpg

C.P.Cavafy's poem 'Ithaca', recited by Sir Sean Connery and with music specially composed by Vangelis.

ITHACA [1910, 1911]
As you set out for Ithaca hope that your journey is a long one, full of adventure, full of discovery. Laistrygonians and Cyclops, angry Poseidon-do not be afraid of them: you'll never find things like that on your way as long as you keep your thoughts raised high, as long as a rare sensation touches your spirit and your body. Laistrygonians and Cyclops, wild Poseidon-you won't encounter them unless you bring them along inside your soul, unless your soul sets them up in front of you.

Hope that your journey is a long one. May there be many summer mornings when, with what pleasure, what joy, you come into harbors you're seeing for the first time; may you stop at Phoenician trading stations to buy fine things, mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony, sensual perfume of every kind- as many sensual perfumes as you can; and may you visit many Egyptian cities to learn and learn again from those who know.

Keep Ithaka always in your mind. Arriving there is what you're destined for. But do not hurry the journey at all. Better if it lasts for years, so that you're old by the time you reach the island, wealthy with all you have gained on the way, not expecting Ithaca to make you rich. Ithaca gave you the marvelous journey. Without her you would not have set out. She has nothing left to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaca won't have fooled you. Wise as you will have become, so full of experience, you will have understood by then what these Ithacas mean.

Last edited:
Tribute: Sean Connery And His Bond Cars (LINK)

35104366595_4af8c3cabd_b.jpg
index_image.jpg

Sean Connery was a born star. That's the aura he exuded as he slipped into a well fit three-piece suit to save the world hopping across from one continent to another. The alpha among the alphas who was looked up by to. With a thick Scottish accent, a tall posture and well-built physique, all part of his ancestry from a working-class family in the Scotlands, he eased the imposing appearance with his wit on celluloid. Connery would go on to play Bond for 20 years across seven films beginning with the 1962's Dr. No and ending with Never Say Never Again in 1983. The final movie's title was a double entendre on his old statement that he would "never again" reprise the role of the 007 agent".

7346.jpg

"Life is a journey and man forever is Homo-Viator - a man on the way. Life's road twists away into a dark and unknown future, but we have no choice but to take it. We cannot refuse the road that daily presents itself to us. Yes, we must walk it, and we will walk it not knowing what the next turn will bring"!

"The road can surprise us with unexpected bends or stops, or it can become steep or slippery. At other times the way can become so dark that we cannot even see the next step. It's then that we need a light to guide us. Our psalmist assures us that God's Word is the light we need for life's journey"!

"His Word will cast light on the road and on our purpose and goal and will guide our actions and decisions. With god's Word, we'll find our way again! Remember that we do not walk life's path alone, although we might think so. Oh no, we have a guide, the Holy Spirit. It is He who whispers God's Word in our ear, shining its light, making sure that we reach the goal"!

(a devotional by Jimi le Roux)

Richard Burton discusses his poor upbringing in Wales, and his family connection to the coal mines.

Richard Burton On His Humble Welsh Upbringing | The Dick Cavett Show

How Janis Joplin Recorded "Me & Bobby McGee" - Told by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster

Last edited:

Remembering John Prine.....back, around the Bend.

John Prine - "I Remember Everything"​

The last recorded song by John Prine. Written by Prine and his longtime collaborator Pat McLaughlin.

Mark Twain on Memory......
March 1, 1907
3a08820v.jpg

"My brother Henry was six months old at that time. I used to remember
his walking into a fire outdoors when he was a week old. It was
remarkable in me to remember a thing like that, which occurred when I
was so young. And it was still more remarkable that I should cling to
the delusion, for thirty years, that I did remember it — for of course
it never happened; he would not have been able to walk at that age".

"If I had stopped to reflect, I should not have burdened my memory with
that impossible rubbish so long. It is believed by many people that an
impression deposited in a child's memory within the first two years of
its life cannot remain there five years, but that is an error".

"For many years I believed that I remembered helping my grandfather
drink his whiskey toddy when I was six weeks old, but I do not tell about
that any more, now; I am grown old, and my memory is not as active as
it used to be. When I was younger I could remember anything, whether
it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying, now, and soon
I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that happened. It is sad
to go to pieces like this, but we all have to do it".

Last edited:

Back