Art, anything goes...

Kintsugi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintsugi

Kintsugi (金継ぎ, "golden joinery"), also known as kintsukuroi (金繕い, "golden repair"),is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery by mending the areas of breakage with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum; the method is similar to the maki-e technique.

+++

and attaching an image...
This is so beautiful, so clever, and yet so practical. I have many Japanese bowls. If one broke I would be so disappointed....now I have this lovely remedy. Thank you @JonSR77 . And thank you RadishRose for extra examples...good ones!

This is so beautiful, so clever, and yet so practical. I have many Japanese bowls. If one broke I would be so disappointed....now I have this lovely remedy. Thank you @JonSR77 . And thank you RadishRose for extra examples...good ones!

My friend Kathi has an art business. She does these funky hand carved, hand painted figures. I was telling her about kintsugi and right away she was planning how she could do it herself. You guys are too cool for school. I wish I had the energy to do something like that.

Once I did take a bunch of the wires from Chinese take out food containers....and I created this odd kind of mobile out of them. I called it "Old Weird Uncle Harold."

I mostly called it that, because it really completely failed as a piece of art. But, the failure itself was a lot of fun.

Oh, I found an image of "Old Weird Harold"

It was about 3 1/2 feet long by 2 feet wide

the photo looks better than the actual piece. when the light would hit it at certain angles, it created some shadows that made it look more interesting.

Attachments

• 10454968_577342922382662_7487403331821434633_o.jpg
    10454968_577342922382662_7487403331821434633_o.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 5
Once I did take a bunch of the wires from Chinese take out food containers....and I created this odd kind of mobile out of them. I called it "Old Weird Uncle Harold."
I mostly called it that, because it really completely failed as a piece of art. But, the failure itself was a lot of fun.
Hey, you are really creative!! It reminds me a little of this mobile by Dan Sisken.
But I like yours better because it makes the viewer get involved and ponder the possibilities. WTG
largewire1b-

Hey, you are really creative!! It reminds me a little of this mobile by Dan Sisken.
But I like yours better because it makes the viewer get involved and ponder the possibilities. WTG
largewire1b-
well, thanks. That Sisken piece? That is art. Mine is just a big mess. Fun, but a big mess.

I'm still on the Kintsugi kick

4437-39.jpg

Back