As you get older, do you find yourself downsizing, decluttering.

After I sold the portable table I had listed…..a few days after someone else wanted one…..so I said, give me a week to think about it…..I decided I didn’t need 2 of them……so l sold another one today.

Keeping one for myself……don’t need 2 of them.
She was very happy to get one.
I'm so impressed by your gradual, judicious decluttering, and your initiative to convert useful possessions into cash. Kudos!

Here in Canada, some things are almost impossible to GIVE away. Blue Mountain Pottery is just one example of something that no one wants. On the other hand, some things today will bring money, such as Corning wear blue flower dishes with lids, and good condition Hot Wheels cars. I buy military medals, and uniforms, and resell them to collectors around the world. A single Boer War medal that I bought for $25 CDN sold for 240 UK pounds last year. You have to know what you are doing, of course. JimB. In Toronto.

@MickaC I wouldn’t be surprised if shoppers on the selling sites you use watch for anything for sale by you. Maybe they can even flag your name, i.e. follow you.
You know what Jules……not to brag……I’ve had some that said they watch and have notifications sent to them when I post.
I’m very fussy on the look of the items……clean, no stains, no cracks, etc. I also am not asking new prices for anything, either.

@MickaC I wouldn’t be surprised if shoppers on the selling sites you use watch for anything for sale by you. Maybe they can even flag your name, i.e. follow you.
I am a little bit confused.........Are you suggesting that I should be worried that somebody may be following me to do harm to me ? OR are you saying that it is a good thing that potential buyers can follow me ? Clarify, please ? JimB. In Toronto .

It *is* so good to be home, to work through stuff, clean/dust/organize.

Some (most) things are very easy to declutter-- the ones I'm struggling with are beloved books my kids and I enjoyed together, but now I don't have anyone to whom to pass them along. For example, beautifully illustrated "Treasury" editions of Winne-the-Pooh stories and Beatrix Potter tales. I can still hear my children giggling at Piglet crying, "Help, help, A Horrible Heffalump! Hoff, Hoff, a Hellible Horralump!..." and the fun we had with B. Potter's Cast of characters--oh, and Paddington Bear (the boulder on the bus)

Yes, I have two grandgirls but neither is interested in these stories, sigh. I guess I will check around for friends that have children the right age.

It *is* so good to be home, to work through stuff, clean/dust/organize.

Some (most) things are very easy to declutter-- the ones I'm struggling with are beloved books my kids and I enjoyed together, but now I don't have anyone to whom to pass them along. For example, beautifully illustrated "Treasury" editions of Winne-the-Pooh stories and Beatrix Potter tales. I can still hear my children giggling at Piglet crying, "Help, help, A Horrible Heffalump! Hoff, Hoff, a Hellible Horralump!..." and the fun we had with B. Potter's Cast of characters--oh, and Paddington Bear (the boulder on the bus)

Yes, I have two grandgirls but neither is interested in these stories, sigh. I guess I will check around for friends that have children the right age.
A lot of us find ourselves in this pickle, CS. Beautiful books, dishes, silver, jewelry or other possessions we've enjoyed or treasured do not fit well into our children's or grandchildren's lives.

Your local elementary school library might welcome these books and put them to good use. Public schools are always short of funds.

I have never sold anything but I have been on my local pages asking if any charities can make use of various things, or if there are collectors of stamps and many other items including electrical goods and furniture. They have soon been collected by folks who have seen the post on my local pages.

What I have been doing lately is passing on to friends and family a lot of my carved wooden animal collection that have been bought for me over the years.
Mainly because I know it will be looked after by the one who chose it as a memento and it wont be just chucked out when the grim reaper calls. My family only wants to keep my carved wooden elephant and my two horses.

A lot of us find ourselves in this pickle, CS. Beautiful books, dishes, silver, jewelry or other possessions we've enjoyed or treasured do not fit well into our children's or grandchildren's lives.

Your local elementary school library might welcome these books and put them to good use. Public schools are always short of funds.
Great suggestion, @StarSong thanks!

Had another good sale today.
Sold about 70 feet of heavy iron border fencing…..18” wide x 12” high each, interlocking.
The persons that bought the countertop oven, asked about the fencing……I hadn’t used all of what I brought in from the farm…..was just going to leave them to go with the house……now, I made some more money.
Visited with these persons for about an hour and a half this morning, she loves yardwork, landscaping, gardening as well…..she was enjoying looking around and spotted the fencing.

I have met a lot of nice people during my downsizing, selling frenzy.

I have only replied once in your thread and just now have been going thru it. Your home looks brand new; everything is sparkling clean and in pristine condition. You are awesome, dear friend. I'm glad to see you are having a success in decluttering. But, who wouldn't want your perfect items you are selling? Good job!!!

I have only replied once in your thread and just now have been going thru it. Your home looks brand new; everything is sparkling clean and in pristine condition. You are awesome, dear friend. I'm glad to see you are having a success in decluttering. But, who wouldn't want your perfect items you are selling? Good job!!!
You’re so kind Pam……
In my books…..you are totally the “ AWESOME ONE. “

Back