Australian government and my mysterious title I could not think of.

BobF

In my unfortunate swing in the forum, will need to look to the title as I can't remember it right now, can add it later if needed.

In my series of comments there came a question about who had the strength to cause folks in the government to have concern and likely many concerned citizens too. I commented that there was a certain person that can come around to support or defeat a government position. Some argued that there was the elected parliament and they ran the show.

I agree in general but was trying to connect the UK government, possibly the Queen, to this special person. I was pretty much put down for even thinking that. But now I think I have found the position I was thinking of.

Until recent years this person would come from the UK and administer in Australia. Now that position has been assigned to Australia itself. His title would be the Governor General. So the line of leadership would be the Queen, the Governor General, and so forth.

Rather than type all this stuff down I will try to post the information instead.

http://static.moadoph.gov.au/ophgovau/media/images/apmc/docs/61-System-of-government.pdf

Definitely having a problem with this information. I was hoping to have it all posted right here but so far not doing something right, I guess. So just click on the link and the two page document will appear. Nice way to get a quick overview of the Australian government.

I commented that there was a certain person that can come around to support or defeat a government position. Some argued that there was the elected parliament and they ran the show.
You are speaking of the executive level of government, i.e. the Governor General (federal) and the governors (states). Constitutionally these people represent the Crown (not the Queen per se) It is the equivalent of your President but without any of the powers of the presidency. It is a ceremonial role only and the GG officiates at state occasions such as the opening of parliament, the reception of the monarch when she visits Australia, reviewing the troops, awarding honours but not deciding who gets them, appointing government ministers but never deciding who they will be, etc. The GG (and the governors) signs legislation into law once it is passed by both houses of parliament. He/she has no power of veto, nor any power to initiate legislation. The GG follows the advice of the PM or premiers as to when to dissolve parliament for an election and calls for the writs to be issued.

In the case of a national emergency where parliament becomes incompetent the GG could assume control under what is known as the reserve power of the monarch but this is a most unlikely event. One GG in the past did exercise this power, sacking on PM and appointing another as interim PM until a new election could decide the matter. It caused uproar but after the election everything settled down again under a democratically elected government.

The third leg of our system is the courts. The court officers are independent of both parliament and the executive under the concept of separation of powers. Judges are not elected, nor is the GG and the governors. They are apolitical and beholden to no-one but the law.

The above situation has applied since each of the states was established in the second half of the 19th century and since Federation in 1901. Early governors and governor generals tended to be British but so were the majority of the inhabitants of Australia. Over time native born Australians have filled this role because that is what the people want. The PM selects the GG then informs the Queen who makes the official proclamation and appointment. Other than that she has no part in the process of governing Australia or any of our states and territories.

Warrigal, thanks for your additional comments. The Governor General may not be able to do much but somehow it still has some abilities as you noted in your post. A do nothing GG that can shut down a government can be a bit worrisome to many. Seldom done but still possible.

I really liked that overview that I found. It is short, direct, and appears to at least mention the various functions and how they are related. Your comments then added a bit of reality to the listing.

A wonderful series of historical novels about Australia, by William Stuart Long, details with much accuracy, including the Governorship of William Bligh, the colonization of "New South Wales". There are 12 in the series; my wife & I read the first 4 or 5 while "holed-up" in a mountain cabin in Northern Arizona, after I had lost my job during the Reagan Recession. The first is "The Exiles", published 1979.

exiles10.jpg

They made wonderfully enlightening reading. imp

A wonderful series of historical novels about Australia, by William Stuart Long, details with much accuracy, including the Governorship of William Bligh, the colonization of "New South Wales". There are 12 in the series; my wife & I read the first 4 or 5 while "holed-up" in a mountain cabin in Northern Arizona, after I had lost my job during the Reagan Recession. The first is "The Exiles", published 1979.

exiles10.jpg

They made wonderfully enlightening reading. imp
Yes, Imp, the 'argumentative trouble-maker' completely agrees with you! This was simply one of the most gripping, inspiring, heartbreaking series I've ever had the pleasure to read! I just wish they'd release them on eBooks.

"I hope they were kind to Governor William Bligh."

They were indeed! His arch-nemesis was a leader of the Cavalry and businessman/politician, John Macarthur, against whom Bligh waged a relentless effort. Most enjoyable reading! imp

Ah... John MacArthur... He would have done very nicely for himself on Wall Street.

My hero is Gov. Lachlan Macquarie, the first military governor (all of the previous ones were naval officers). He followed Bligh and threw out the corrupt Rum Corps, replacing them with his own regiment. He then proceeded to develop the colonies in a very far sighted way and used the talents of emancipated convicts to do it.

Every time I hear of official corruption being exposed I wish for another Lachlan Macquarie to appear.

Imp, Where would a wayward Canuck find such books?

I may just have several put away. I shall consult with my wife. You are welcome to borrow them if I can find them, if you pay for postage and promise to return them. I believe in sharing good things. imp

Thank you for your kind offer, I am truly touched. Should you find them and lending them be agreeable to you both, I would be delighted to borrow them. I would appreciate some idea of the cost of postage for obvious reasons. Cheers;) I will, of course, return them once read.

I am so sorry to have gotten up false hope! My wife informs that prior to one of our disgustingly distractive moves, most of our books of that era were sold. I will attempt, nonetheless, to locate a source for you. Proven successful, I can safely say that Long's books will absolutely prove enthralling for you! imp

Back