B Sure 2 Run Grammar Check!

Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson:
you find the present tense but the past perfect!

~Attributed to both Owens Lee Pomeroy (1929–2008) and Robert Orben (b.1927)

Repast!
%E2%88%9Apalmer-grammar-cartoon.gif

We wonder if this has "caught on" in other parts of the country, it surely is a common mistake out West: Many signs on businesses, for example, have nouns in the plural, containing an apostrophe followed by an "s", thereby meaning (noun) "is". Store selling tools, sign says "TOOL'S", contraction for "tool is". We see this everywhere, and it kinda bugs us. imp

This bugs me, too. Seems to me that if you were putting up a sign, you'd make the effort to spell things correctly. PS: Wouldn't the "tool's" be possessive for tool, as in the tool's handle was loose?

Discalimer: I know I'm not suppose to start a sentence with a preposition like "But" or with the word "And",
nor do run-on sentence. And I know I do it all the time on this forum. And I'm sorry.

But
here's the thing (brace yourselves for a run-on sentence), I do it anyway because I like to, because it sounds good to me, because it makes sense to pause and break there, because I'm not being graded, because I can, because I don't care, because I'm retired and free now, because I'm old and it's time to do my own thing, because I don't feel like taking the time to proofread, because I don't want my last words on my deathbed to be that I regret never being a rebel, because I don't want my epitaph to read "Here Lies Miss Goody-Two-Shoes", because you all know what I'm saying whether it's perfect or not, because you all will still love me anyway…right?…oh, and…I like to do dots…lots of them…I guess you've noticed that :playful::sorrytku:

Discalimer: I know I'm not suppose to start a sentence with a preposition like "But" or with the word "And",
nor do run-on sentence. And I know I do it all the time on this forum. And I'm sorry.

But
here's the thing (brace yourselves for a run-on sentence), I do it anyway because I like to, because it sounds good to me, because it makes sense to pause and break there, because I'm not being graded, because I can, because I don't care, because I'm retired and free now, because I'm old and it's time to do my own thing, because I don't feel like taking the time to proofread, because I don't want my last words on my deathbed to be that I regret never being a rebel, because I don't want my epitaph to read "Here Lies Miss Goody-Two-Shoes", because you all know what I'm saying whether it's perfect or not, because you all will still love me anyway…right?…oh, and…I like to do dots…lots of them…I guess you've noticed that :playful::sorrytku:
Lara, I also do all of these...because it is the way I talk/think. I am not writing a paper. I am interacting in a forum.
I also have to edit too frequently. My eyes are 81 years old. They are unable to see what I type. Cannot type and peer closely at the screen...at the same time. Make too many errors. When I enlarge the font, in order to see it, I sometime forget to reduce it again. So, if all this is too offensive...ban me. :bigwink:

I try to use appropriate grammar where possible. That said, I am the daughter of an English teacher, (the language, not the nationality,) was forced to take elocution lessons as a child...need I say more? Ick! Felt more like execution lessons. Sigh.

Take a grammar quiz and see how you do
with some common spelling errors :

Click on : http://www.surveee.org/spellingmaster.html

View attachment 21070

Wow! You aced this test. You answered all correctly to be considered a true spelling master! We bet you were the grammar and spelling fanatic back in the day in English class or you just read a lot. Anyway, Congratulations to you! You are in the top 3% of spellers in the country. Now If you don’t mind please share this quiz with your friends and family and let’s see how well they do!
Answers For Reference: fiery, misspell, rhythm, definitely, grateful, acquire, conscience, pronunciation, entrepreneurs, vacuum

Take a grammar quiz and see how you do
with some common spelling errors :

Click on : http://www.surveee.org/spellingmaster.html

Wow! You aced this test. You answered all correctly to be considered a true spelling master! We bet you were the grammar and spelling fanatic back in the day in English class or you just read a lot. Anyway, Congratulations to you! You are in the top 6% of spellers in the country.

We wonder if this has "caught on" in other parts of the country, it surely is a common mistake out West: Many signs on businesses, for example, have nouns in the plural, containing an apostrophe followed by an "s", thereby meaning (noun) "is". Store selling tools, sign says "TOOL'S", contraction for "tool is". We see this everywhere, and it kinda bugs us. imp

Drives me nuts, too! I've been known to holler (in car with windows up) "No, no, no! You want the PLURAL, not the POSSESSIVE!" If I were going to put up a big sign, at least I'd make an effort to be sure it was grammatically correct. Yeesh.

I sometimes see words misspelled or misused on this board. For instance, peek and peak. Take a peek behind the curtain. The mountain has a peak.

Back