Bathtub

A2ZGrammie

How do you get out of the bathtub when you can't get out of the bathtub? My guilty pleasure is bubble baths. I can't take them anymore. I have had both hips replaced, and can't get my legs underneath me. My arms aren't strong enough to pull myself up with a bar.

I miss baths so much. I can't even take a decent shower. I have to use a bath chair. I have been declared as handicapped, which stinks. I don't even have to walk with a cane anymore, but I am legally unhealthy. Poo. I think I'm pretty darn able. Yes, I requested disability, but it was because of my age and the fact that no one would hire me. I had a good job until they down sized where I was working. I knew I had some health issues...so....wala....

Before my husband went to the hospital we had discussed getting one of those walk in tubs..pictured above. I am the same way. Have not been able to get into a tub in years. Just showers. Right now, I have no plans to convert our existing tub to a walk in, as I have a free standing shower, and am OK with that.

I can do it with a lot of effort. I usually put a couple of old bath towels in the bottom of the tub, then when I want to get out I get in a kneeling position, which is the tough part, the towels then help cushion the area underneath my achy sore knees and holding onto the side of the tub I can raise myself up. Usually not worth the effort and a shower is much easier but not as satisfying as a good long soak.

I can do it with a lot of effort. I usually put a couple of old bath towels in the bottom of the tub, then when I want to get out I get in a kneeling position, which is the tough part, the towels then help cushion the area underneath my achy sore knees and holding onto the side of the tub I can raise myself up. Usually not worth the effort and a shower is much easier but not as satisfying as a good long soak.

this is what I have considered. I used to clean the bathtub this way. I actually have researched this online. That's how you are supposed to get someone off the floor that can't get themselves up. Give them items that they can gradually raise themselves on. I looked into a contraption that resembles a small footstool but also a bit like a small ladder. The silly thing cost $100. I just couldn't afford it right now.

One of my very favorite things about my apartment is the large garden tub. I fell in love with the apartment when I saw it. .. have a bar on the side of the tub, and also a wall bar put in by management. If/when I couldn't get into the bathtub anymore, I would be so upset. Love bubble baths.

I love a soak but those days are over for me. As my consolation I say to myself, who wants to sit in dirty water when in the shower you wash that dirt away.

I totally understand that. And I have wondered after that bath "am I actually clean?" But I have had discussions about it, and it's really not the issue of getting clean. It's more my way of unwinding, or a treat. Ohh, my vanilla sugar bubble bath smells heavenly....

on another note--I tried Aunt Bea's dry run suggestion. I struggled a bit, but I was able to get in and out of the tub. I sat on the side a bit, after I was done. Had a bit of a cry, I'm such a girl. I hadn't been able to do that in years.

I totally understand that. And I have wondered after that bath "am I actually clean?" But I have had discussions about it, and it's really not the issue of getting clean. It's more my way of unwinding, or a treat. Ohh, my vanilla sugar bubble bath smells heavenly....

on another note--I tried Aunt Bea's dry run suggestion. I struggled a bit, but I was able to get in and out of the tub. I sat on the side a bit, after I was done. Had a bit of a cry, I'm such a girl. I hadn't been able to do that in years.
Funny how our lives tend to go in a circle, it'll get a little bit easier every day!

3-important-baby-bathtub-safety-tips.jpg

I enjoy a soak in the winter time with Epson Salts. I have a tray that fits across the tub. I put it by the side of the tub on the outside with a book and a cup of tea. When I finally get myself in place I reach for the tray and more times than not by the time I get it all situated my tea is cold and I have a wet book,but I keep trying. I wish my tub was longer. I'm 5'8" so I have to alternate soaking my knees and sliding down once in awhile to stay warm. The hubby keeps banging on the door to see if I'm alright,I tell him it takes me an hour just to get organized and his banging on the door jangles my nerves which is exactly what I'm trying to calm down while I soak. I know,I should be grateful he cares.

Wow. Reading this is so humbling and makes me very grateful for my health and mobility, things I tend to take for granted till I read things like this. 😟

Grammie I am so sorry you’re struggling with this. I see that some of the suggestions have been helpful to you. I’m so glad! 💕

Wow. Reading this is so humbling and makes me very grateful for my health and mobility, things I tend to take for granted till I read things like this. 😟

Grammie I am so sorry you’re struggling with this. I see that some of the suggestions have been helpful to you. I’m so glad! 💕

That's so kind of you to say, Ronni, truly. I think we do learn to appreciate what we took for granted when we were younger. I had been told I would have problems when I was older, and I didn't pay attention. I didn't realize that something so small would come to matter so much. My kids laugh at my issues. I would much rather that they learn better than I did.

when we moved to this place 3yrs ago ==we have shower room-and another big wash room with a bath=
we have never used the bath yet ; just shower people -

It irritates me when people bring up that "sitting in dirty water" B.S. I love a nice soaking bath, and since I take a bath every day I have no issue with "dirty" water. I take a shower twice a week to wash my hair, and I'm not any cleaner after a shower.

I never understood laying in dirty bathwater. Then you have to wash the tub, so if you have to wash the tub doesn't that mean the water you bathe in is dirty? Showers only here.

Back