Be Prepared. The Grid is going down. Interesting interview with Dennis Quaid

The grid has always been vulnerable. There are pictures available by Googling Electric Grid.

Known was that it took only 17 terrorists to bring down the towers in NY. There is concern that within the millions of illegals that have recently invaded America there could be terrorists. Those pictures show transmission towers strung out across open fields & mountains all across America. One might wonder how much power can a transmission line carry?

Specifically, a 765 kV line can reliably transmit 2200-2400 MW (i.e., 1.0 SIL) for distances up to 300 miles, whereas the similarly situated 500 kV and 345 kV lines with bundled conductors can deliver only about 900 MW and 400 MW, respectively.

Knock down one of those towers & it could take months to reconstruct. Meanwhile the 765 thousand volts have no path to substations. Towers strung out across open fields & mountains are are really vulnerable. The reality is there is no way to protect those towers. 17 strategically placed destrucion of one or more towers will cause the kind of chaos Dennis Quaid is warning about.

Much of what @Paco Dennis listed has been drilled into Californians as part of EQ preparation, but the list is an excellent reminder to go over what we have on hand and to beef up anything that's in short supply.

We keep our propane tanks (for RV and BBQ) full at all times, so cooking wouldn't be a problem. Our RV is a 2005 and therefore has almost no electronics, so wouldn't be as heavily affected by a solar flare as newer models.

Could we have a solar storm capable of knocking everything out? In theory, yes. However, over the past several years the US government has been hardening power supplies against that or an EMP.

Want to add that oddly enough I happen to be quite good friends with a solar physicist who monitors various aspects of the sun at the Apache Point Observatory in (no kidding) Sunspot, New Mexico. APO works closely with, and is literally next door to, the government's National Solar Observatory (where my friend previously worked.) We've talked about flares, EMPs and other potential power disruptions over the years. I find the topic interesting and he's an expert.

His take: Unless personal computer and electronic equipment are enclosed in Faraday cages, nearly all will be toast if there's a massive solar flare. Ditto autos built over the past 20 years. Electronic fuel injection? Sorry Charlie, you're screwed. Observations by solar physicists would give advance warning between 3 days and 20 minutes, but possibly as little as 8 minutes, depending on the coronal mass ejection/ flare's class (type/magnitude) and how it presents.

He drives a Suburban from the mid-70s. His car will still run if there's a CME or EMP event.

From my understanding, beyond @Paco Dennis' list, there's little ordinary citizens can do to personally prepare for such an event short of prepping that includes enough ammo to kill off the desperate hungry hordes who come a knocking.

To learn more about solar flares and CMEs, here's an excellent source:
https://blogs.nasa.gov/solarcycle25/2022/06/10/solar-flares-faqs/

Last edited:
Quaid says. He explains "how he knows all this" in the interview. You have grossly underestimated him. He's had over 150 projects that aren't about acting. And his interview might just save a lot of lives. He certainly got my attention. He did it for you and me. Not for himself. Why the hostility when you don't know? I'm just curious.

Show me my hostility .... I just question his expertise in these matters. And I do not hang my hat on the word of any Hollywood type. What are his credentials ?

Where do you get "Blue Water Barrels, Nathan?
I have a gas stove which I think I can light with a match when push comes to shove. That is, if the government doesn't ban it first.
I think governments want you to not buy anymore gas stoves, not that they're going to ban them and you'll have to haul yours to the curb. Just like after a certain date, there won't be any new gas burning cars on lots, only EV's. It's all about the environment that we want to hand down to our grandkids and theirs after them.

Show me my hostility .... I just question his expertise in these matters. And I do not hang my hat on the word of any Hollywood type. What are his credentials ?
Who says Quaid knows all this ? He is IMO an actor & only an actor. Frankly as an actor, he is less reliable / believable than the average man on the street.

Quaid never claimed to be an expert. He's just sharing what he has learned...as we all do in the forums here. He just wants to help when he sees a need to help. For instance he's very involved, hands on, for "Tunnel to Towers" for American Veterans. He's a Patriot. He's a helper and cares about his country's people.

Quaid is not "just a Hollywood type". He's a musician, pilot, flies jets, etc. See my post #37. He's involved in many projects to help others. You're not the only one who has said this in this thread. I've have had to defend him several times here so I was beginning to wonder why the hostility.

Last edited:
Quaid never claimed to be an expert. He's just sharing what he has learned...as we all do in the forums here. He just wants to help when he sees a need to help. For instance he's very involved, hands on, for "Tunnel to Towers" for American Veterans. He's a Patriot. He's a helper and cares about his country's people.

Quaid is not "just a Hollywood type". See my post #37. He's involved in many projects to help others. You're not the only one who has said this in this thread. I've have had to defend him several times here so I was beginning to wonder why the hostility.
I agree. Much as I don't like Tucker Carlson, I watched that portion of the interview but bailed when they moved to other topics. Everything Dennis Quaid said squared with what I know of solar flares, EMPs, political risks, the US's extraordinary vulnerability to a decimated electrical grid, and the level of devastation that might wreak. The topic fascinated me several years ago so I did a deep dive on it.

Credible sources abound on the internet. Nasa among them. Quaid struck me as having a good grasp of the mechanics of solar flares and EMPs and how they would affect both the grid and virtually everything electronic or that runs on electricity. He described the risks and the potential outcomes if we don't address it seriously. His agenda seems to be to inform and educate the public, who might then pressure power companies and various governmental agencies to head off this potential disaster.

To his credit, he didn't seem to be leaning in any particular political direction.

Quaid is not "just a Hollywood type". He's a musician, pilot, flies jets, etc. See my post #37. He's involved in many projects to help others. You're not the only one who has said this in this thread. I've have had to defend him several times here so I was beginning to wonder why the hostility.
Love your comment Lara. I find it so interesting how people will take as gospel, Ideas and thoughts from random strangers on a video or website, but the minute someone who has name recognition because he or she is an actor by trade, all of a sudden their words are nothing. Because they did acting in a movie. Because they memorized some lines and got paid to do it. How weird eh? It's like they get no credit for anything else in their lives. No lessons learned, no other experiences or interests.....I just find it very strange.

OK, he is a man of action ... that's fine but. IMO if one is going to spread an alarm about something so serious, potentially dangerous ..... I feel he should indeed be an expert. Or at the very least possess some strong credentials.
And again IMO he is a Hollywood type, and I have little regard for few of them.

OK, he is a man of action ... that's fine but. IMO if one is going to spread an alarm about something so serious, potentially dangerous ..... I feel he should indeed be an expert. Or at the very least possess some strong credentials.
This is just a senior forum and we don't have the money to hire an expert ☺️
So we do the best we can. The internet search box is just a click away.
And of course that's full of "experts" 🥳
But I hear you rgp and respect your suggestion.

This is just a senior forum and we don't have the money to hire an expert ☺️
So we do the best we can. The internet search box is just a click away.
And of course that's full of "experts" 🥳
But I hear you rgp and respect your suggestion.
Thank you, and please understand, I do not expect SF to provide any sort of expert.

My [suggestion] would be for him and all the other non-expert Hollywood types to just keep their mouths shut about anything that they are not expert on.

They [due to their celebrity] can easily convince many folks about things they know nothing [or very little] about. Frankly IMO it is irresponsible.

If such an event occurs, and I die...you have my permission to eat me.
Wait a minute, before we chow down on a Beezer.
Are you a free range Beezer? Is the Beezer on antibiotics? How many carbs in a Beezer? Is there a no caffeine Beezer? How about a zero calorie Beezer? Is there a gluten free Beezer? Is there a TV chef competition where the ingredient is Beezer? Can you get a Beezer with 11 spices and herbs?
Is Beezer on the Endangered List?

I have a Generac in my basement and plan to put one outside in May. The Generac outside will be attached to my natural gas line. It should run for years, unless it breaks down.
A clean natural gas fired generator sounds appealing, would be convenient for short, small scale power outages. But, if the grid does get blasted by a solar or nuclear weapon EMP strike IMO it would be unlikely if the natural gas delivery infrastructure would remain operational.

A clean natural gas fired generator sounds appealing, would be convenient for short, small scale power outages. But, if the grid does get blasted by a solar or nuclear weapon EMP strike IMO it would be unlikely if the natural gas delivery infrastructure would remain operational.
Also have to ensure that it has no electronic components or it might not work after an EMP or CME. Has to be FULLY mechanical.

In that case, maybe I could switch it to propane and perhaps, even bury the tank.

Dennis, can you (pretty please) find me a reputable link... maybe not YouTube and not "an actor" warning us about this? I want to know more and not exactly sure what search string to use that wouldn't just be fear mongering or propaganda. @Paco Dennis
Is this what you are looking for @CallMeKate :

NASA: The National Aeronautics and Space Administration has a lot of information on its website about solar storms, including their causes, effects, and potential risks.

NOAA: The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration also has a section on its website dedicated to space weather, including solar storms.

Back