Beyond the paIe - a common phrase?

Pale person
f54d5aad52c8ee7f1c0e31ca1e4ccf5e.jpg

"Beyond the pale" person
AlbinoDogGirl.jpg

To be 'beyond the pale' is to be unacceptable; outside agreed standards of decency.
However, there is another meaning of 'pale' - 'a stake or pointed piece of wood'.
beyond-the-pale.jpg

This meaning is now virtually obsolete except as used in this phrase. A variant of it - 'paling', is still in use, as in paling fence and 'impale' (as in Dracula movies).

I must have read a few hundred gothic novels and Regency romances in my life, so I have encountered the phrase quite often, the smallest infraction like going out with no hat or gloves, might set one beyond the pale.

One of my favorite lines using it was in, "The French Lieutenant's Woman."

Sarah says: "I knew it was ordained that I should never marry an equal; so, I married shame. It is my shame that has kept me alive - my knowing that I am truly not like other women. I - I shall never, like them, have - children and a husband, and the pleasures of a home. Sometimes I pity them. I have a freedom they cannot understand. No insult, no blame, can touch me. I have set myself beyond the pale. I am nothing. I am hardly human any more. I am the French lieutenant's - whore!

Back