Books! How do you read and what do you read?

Presently working my way though a Dean Koontz novel.
The Other Emily

Man's supposedly dead lady love reappears in his life.
Twists & turns makes him wonder ,,is she for real or a clone?
Hi Silverfox,I haven't read any of his books.I did read his wonderful book about his beloved golden retriever"Trixie". The name is'Trixie:memoir of a devoted dog',being a life long dog lover .Our family's last dog was a golden retriever.My brother has always had them as well Sue

I have loved to read since my childhood. Mainly mysteries but I also enjoy a well written "story". Reading on my Kindle is my preference. Favorite authors/characters are Lee Child (Jack Reacher series), John Sandford (the Prey books), James Patterson (Women's Murder Club series), James Lee Burke (Dave Robicheaux series) and John Grisham. I'm currently reading "West With Giraffes" by Lynda Rutledge. It's set during the dust bowl days and tells the adventures of a young man who is hired to drive a truck carrying two giraffes from NYC to the San Diego Zoo. The young man, the older man who hired him and a young lady who is following them to document the trek for "Life Magazine" all seem to have some kind of secret event in their recent past that has put them on this journey. And yes, Liberty, I do love finding new authors. I recently discovered Paulette Jiles (News of the World) whose writing I quite enjoy.

Just finished reading Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. Not my usual type of book, but I enjoyed it.
Now reading the last of the Henning Mankell books that I've missed.

I’m currently reading a book called ‘Until the End’ by Christopher Pike. It’s almost 900 pages and is a thriller. It’s an easy read which is the style I prefer.

I'm reading Nomadland. I want to see the movie also. I hope I don't end up "in a van down by the river." SNL skit quote.

I finished The Help. I wasn't going to read it but found a like new copy at the thrift store. It was better than I thought it would be.
Did you happen to watch the movie ‘The Help’ and if you did, does the book follow the same story line or were there any obvious differences, in your opinion?

Did you happen to watch the movie ‘The Help’ and if you did, does the book follow the same story line or were there any obvious differences, in your opinion?
There were differences such as Skeeter not knowing Constantine had a daughter. Constantine had sadly sent her daughter away up north because she was so light skinned.

Also a number of things were different with Celia and how her husband found out about the miscarriages and Minny.

Also the scene in the movie where Skeeter's mother sends Hilly off her porch wasn't in the book really. And a number of other things were different. The pie scene went down about the same.

I know this author got criticism for being white and that Skeeter was the white savior. I always thought the white people acted like jerks and the maids were the ones who shined. Also at the end the author stated one of the reasons she wrote the book was that their own family maid had died when the author was 16. And she wished she had asked her more questions and got to know her more. But at 16 it's understandable that she didn't.

What an awesome answer.
I also thought the white folks acted like jerks.
The movie was so good. The acting was great.

It was such an excellent story that while watching it I thought it might even be better as a book, if that’s possible.

You explained all the exceptionally well.
Thank you.

I'm reading Nomadland. I want to see the movie also. I hope I don't end up "in a van down by the river." SNL skit quote.

I finished The Help. I wasn't going to read it but found a like new copy at the thrift store. It was better than I thought it would be.
HI Remy, I enjoyed reading 'The Help' couple yrs ago,I recommend the movie version{2011} with terrific with all star cast Viola Davis,Emma Stone,Jessica Chastain,Octavia Spencer,Sissy Spacek,Cecily Tyson,Bryce Dallas Howard Nomadland is the next book on my reading list once I get through the one I'm reading now Sue

Your welcome @Keesha

@moviequeen1 I agree, the acting was excellent. I loved Viola Davis' character. I find though that people often remark how beautiful she is and I agree, she is. But I really like Octavia Spencer. I think she is equally as attractive. She was just made very plain for the movie but she played Minny so very, very well.
I like Octavia Spencer as well,talented actress,she won Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her performance as 'Minny'

the Engineer's wife by Tracey Enerson Wood,, is about the wife of the engineer who build the Brooklyn bridge.
It is the fictional account of a wife's involvement with the building of the Brooklyn bridge.

I had read David McCullough's The Great Bridge:The Epic Story of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge.
Which had more detail about the graft, money problems that went on behind the scenes.

The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the brooklyn bridge is I think the one McCullough I have yet to read. Great writer and researcher. Read his Panama canal book a few times and thoroughly enjoyed the wright brothers book

Right now I am reading "Talking to Strangers" by Malcolm Gladwell. Enjoyed Oprah's interview with him about the book the other day where he talked about the book and how he came to write it.
Thanks for this. I have read some of Malcolm Gladwell's writings and find them enjoyable. I'll look this one up. Unfortunately, I did not find his book "David and Goliath" interesting enough to finish, too much talk about sports.

Just did some book ordering, 3 for a friend's b'day and 1 for me.

While Justice Sleeps - (fiction) by Stacey Abrams
Camino Island - (fiction) by John Grisham
Billion Dollar Whale - (history/true crime) by Bradley Hope & Tom Wright
Project Hail Mary - (sci-fi) by Andy Weir (wrote "The Martian")

Just finished Arnaldur Indridason's "The Draining Lake", "Arctic Chill" and "Hypothermia".

Waiting for 6 Kate Atkinson books from the library. After that, Ian Rankin and Ann Cleaves.

The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the brooklyn bridge is I think the one McCullough I have yet to read. Great writer and researcher. Read his Panama canal book a few times and thoroughly enjoyed the wright brothers book
HI Cameron,David Mc Cullough is my #1 favorite historian,read all of his books. I have a few favorites,'John Adams,The Wright Brothers,The Pioneers,The American Spirit.He has a great voice he could read the telephone book,make it sound interesting LOL! Sue

Back