Books! How do you read and what do you read?

HI Cameron,David Mc Cullough is my #1 favorite historian,read all of his books. I have a few favorites,'John Adams,The Wright Brothers,The Pioneers,The American Spirit.He has a great voice he could read the telephone book,make it sound interesting LOL! Sue
Interesting, I've never heard him speak ! But sure do enjoy his books. Margaret McMillan has written some great historical books and I quite enjoy Ian Toll's trilogy on the Pacific war. Reading some books on Byzantium, turkish empire , history of christianity and why the major religions all formed around the same time . More i read the less I seem to know. cheers

Last night, started to read 'Nomadland: Surviving America in the 21st Century" by Jessica Bruder
I'm always curious what happens when people have to change their lives,some become 'nomads'.
The recent winner of Academy Award Best Picture, is based on Bruder's book.I haven't seen the movie,don't plan to

Last night, started to read 'Nomadland: Surviving America in the 21st Century" by Jessica Bruder
I'm always curious what happens when people have to change their lives,some become 'nomads'.
The recent winner of Academy Award Best Picture, is based on Bruder's book.I haven't seen the movie,don't plan to
The movie is good, though it sure pretties up the book's description of working at an Amazon warehouse and other "workamper" jobs.
As with most 2 hour movies, a lot was left out or condensed, and several characters stories were combined.

I read the book both before and after seeing the movie.

Jon Meacham's Soul of America. Downloaded to my Kindle from local library. He is my favorite 'serious' author.
Hi Helen,Jon Mecham is another favorite historian,read most of his books
"Souls of America' is a terrific book,really enjoyed it The one he co-wrote with country star Tim McGraw'Songs of America' was disappointing,didn't like
BTW.,Mecham co-wrote Pres Biden's Inauguration Address,as I was reading it,certain paragraphs were definitely written by him Sue

Hi Helen,Jon Mecham is another favorite historian,read most of his books
"Souls of America' is a terrific book,really enjoyed it The one he co-wrote with country star Tim McGraw'Songs of America' was disappointing,didn't like
BTW.,Mecham co-wrote Pres Biden's Inauguration Address,as I was reading it,certain paragraphs were definitely written by him Sue
I've also read a lot of his work and enjoy his U Tube clips as well. He is a quick wit especially when he appears on some of the late night shows. He's often funnier than the host.

Reading is a pleasant past time. There are so many great books to read.
What are some of your favourite books you have read and what do you use to read them?
perhaps an ireader or a kindle? Or maybe you prefer listening to them.

These are great for reading with since you can:
-load as many books as you want to
-adjust the letter size
-read at night without needing to turn on a light so you don’t disturb others.

At at the moment I am reading ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ by Sue Monk Kidd
which is extraordinarily written.

What are you reading right now and what great books can you suggest to the rest of us?
I am presently reading Victoria & Abdul by Shrabani Basu...the true story of the Queen's closest confidant. I find this book very enlightening.

Reading is a pleasant past time. There are so many great books to read.
What are some of your favourite books you have read and what do you use to read them?
perhaps an ireader or a kindle? Or maybe you prefer listening to them.

These are great for reading with since you can:
-load as many books as you want to
-adjust the letter size
-read at night without needing to turn on a light so you don’t disturb others.

At at the moment I am reading ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ by Sue Monk Kidd
which is extraordinarily written.

What are you reading right now and what great books can you suggest to the rest of us?
I have been an ardent reader for many years...all kinds. Must admit I pretty well have books in every room of the house as well as in my purse.

I have been an ardent reader for many years...all kinds. Must admit I pretty well have books in every room of the house as well as in my purse.
If I had a purse there would be a book in it ! usually keep one in the truck just in case. Often take one when out with the puppy. Always to a medical appointment. My dad said on his second date with mom he arrived at their house and all five of them looked up from their books to say hello, then heads back down to the books

Last night,finished reading'Nomadland:Surviving America In The Twenty-First Century' by Jessica Bruder which I found very interesting.,wonderful book The recent movie is based on the book
Jessica spent 3 yrs going on the road interviewing a few 'nomads' learning how their lives had changed,how they became 'nomads'
I didn't see the movie, those of you who did,a couple people had cameo appearances in the movie, Linda,Bob,Charlene

Last night,finished reading'Nomadland:Surviving America In The Twenty-First Century' by Jessica Bruder which I found very interesting.,wonderful book The recent movie is based on the book
Jessica spent 3 yrs going on the road interviewing a few 'nomads' learning how their lives had changed,how they became 'nomads'
I didn't see the movie, those of you who did,a couple people had cameo appearances in the movie, Linda,Bob,Charlene
I read that twice, once when it first came out, then a few months after seeing the movie. Excellent both times.
The movie is well worth watching, BTW. I think I checked it out of the library.

I'm reading Kate Atkinson books, but find her writing a bit challenging. So far, into a 2nd book, but don't know if I will continue with the other 5. Anyone else familiar with her writing?

i had to severely curtail my reading in the early part of this century. An eye disease made it extremely fatiguing, but i still read some non fiction (Science, autobiographies/memoirs of people who interested me) and poetry--it was generally easy on the eyes because not overwhelming amount of words on each page. Had surgeries in 2014 but both eyes not really fit and up to intensive reading till about mid-2015. In the meantime i'd learned to get a lot of science and history info i sought from documentaries on streaming TV. But i have moved back into reading more again. In last few months read memoirs by Trevor Noah and Jim Carrey, the latter devolves into a sci-fi fantasy peopled with 'real' and well known names. He covered his A** by titling it 'Memoirs and Misinformation' and quipping about it: "None of this is real and all of it is true."
Past weekend i sent daughter a list of potential book gifts for my birthday all non-fiction. i pick up fiction from time to time but if it doesn't grab me in first chapter or so i won't continue to invest time.

i had to severely curtail my reading in the early part of this century. An eye disease made it extremely fatiguing, but i still read some non fiction (Science, autobiographies/memoirs of people who interested me) and poetry--it was generally easy on the eyes because not overwhelming amount of words on each page. Had surgeries in 2014 but both eyes not really fit and up to intensive reading till about mid-2015. In the meantime i'd learned to get a lot of science and history info i sought from documentaries on streaming TV. But i have moved back into reading more again. In last few months read memoirs by Trevor Noah and Jim Carrey, the latter devolves into a sci-fi fantasy peopled with 'real' and well known names. He covered his A** by titling it 'Memoirs and Misinformation' and quipping about it: "None of this is real and all of it is true."
Past weekend i sent daughter a list of potential book gifts for my birthday all non-fiction. i pick up fiction from time to time but if it doesn't grab me in first chapter or so i won't continue to invest time.
I really enjoyed Noah's memoir, Born a Crime, a great read.

Maybe some too busy reading to respond? And some of the these threads are 2-3 yrs long which makes a lot to wade thru if you want be responsive to other posters.
Not all SF members read or contribute to the Entertainment section. I didn't at first.

@feywon, how did you like Jim Carey's memoirs? I greatly enjoyed Trevor Noah's eye-opening Born a Crime.

These are going on my "Read" list!

Back