Books! How do you read and what do you read?

Found a new author I'm enjoying Luke McCillon. Historical fiction during WW2 . Set aside William Manchester's triology on Winston Churchill to re read after 20 odd years.

Come across the terms Aphantasia and Hyperphantasia. the former being the inability to picture in your mind what you are reading ie the story. Hyperphantasia seems to be when reading you visualize the story or book to the point you feel that its real and actually an obersver in the story watching the scene. I figure i am hyperphantasia
That's me too--hyperphantasia. My kids too. At about age 8 on of my boys came to me puzzled because a conversation he had with a kid at school made him realize not everyone has a movie running in their heads as they read.
Earlier the same year while pregnant with my daughter, i had to be more selective about my reading once they were asleep because things popped up in there dreams directly referring to what i'd been reading. (We had a habit of talking about dreams well into their teens.)

I'm about halfway through"The Hideaway" through after @Liberty's recommendation. Agree that it's hard to put down!
Glad you liked it. Hope she writes more, huh. I'm 3/4 the way through "The Cabinet of Curiosities" - Preston & Child.
An old NYC building is demolished and a mystery ensures from there. It involves and old mansion on Riverside Drive with an archeologist, a reporter and the author's most loved character "Pendergast"...we have all their books and this one is fabulous.

Just wondered...does anyone here read Maeve Binchy? Know she has passed away...loved her Irish hometown novels. Always seem to lose one with I have stay over company, lol. Lots of literary friends, of course. Keep John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley under lock and key though - that book needs to be revisited periodically.

Just wondered...does anyone here read Maeve Binchy? Know she has passed away...loved her Irish hometown novels. Always seem to lose one with I have stay over company, lol. Lots of literary friends, of course. Keep John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley under lock and key though - that book needs to be revisited periodically.
Hi Liberty,I read 2 of Binchy's books "A Circle of Friends', 'A Walk in Winter'. I've read couple other of her books,can't remember which ones LOL! Sue

Hi Liberty,I read 2 of Binchy's books "A Circle of Friends', 'A Walk in Winter'. I've read couple other of her books,can't remember which ones LOL! Sue
I've read several of Binchy's books but she somehow slipped from the front of my mind. Thanks to your reminder I just checked out "The Glass Lake" ebook from my library.

I'm reading "Killers of the Flower Moon. The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI." By David Grann. So far it's really interesting.

I actually had this in my Amazon cart and then found a good copy at the Goodwill. My new go to place for books.

I'm reading "Killers of the Flower Moon. The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI." By David Grann. So far it's really interesting.

I actually had this in my Amazon cart and then found a good copy at the Goodwill. My new go to place for books.
Hi Remy, I read this book last yr,found it fascinating,enjoyed it Sue

There are some books I can read over and over again. Every year on my birthday, I read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" again. I still have the copy I got for my 10th birthday and it became a tradition.
I love "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." My mother bought my first copy when I was about fourteen years old. I prefer print books to electronic devices because they are easier on my eyes. I love reading some books over and over as well, such as "Jane Eyre," and I have recently finished reading "The Winter of our Discontent." I have time to read the classics now, and am really enjoying them!

Unfinished Business by J.A.Jance.
Enjoyed this novel featuring Ali Reynolds & the cyber company she & her husband operate.
They help clear one of their former employees of a murder charge.

the last night in london by Karen White
This one is set between present day & before the second world war.
Its a slow read,, guess my old brain is slower adjusting to different scenes?

Runner by Tracy Clark, set in the winter of Chicago looking for a homeless girl.
Her mother is recovering addict who hires a former homicide cop to locate her daughter.
I picked this book as it won the Sue Grafton memorial award.

I guess I must have Antiphantasia, I can't picture anything (other than letters or numbers) in my mind, not even colors (except for a dark reddish brown which is the inside of my closed eyelids probably). I can look at a pic of a beautiful green meadow with beautiful red wildflowers, for instance; but as soon as I close my eyes and try to picture it in my mind, all I get is that dark reddish brown. I wonder if it goes along with my being born without the creative gene. :unsure:
Just found out that it's called aphantasia. It was discovered about 6 years ago and they think that only about 1 percent of the population have it. I stumbled on this while wandering around inside YouTube today:

Now back to the topic, lol: currently I'm reading Holdout by Jeffrey Kluger, about halfway through, very good so far.

I am really enjoying the “The Answer is: “ by Alex Trebek (late host of Jeopardy). After being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2019, Trebek reflects on his life and shares his thoughts on a range of topics, including marriage, parenthood, education, success and spirituality. A genius in my opinion.

Glad you liked it. Hope she writes more, huh. I'm 3/4 the way through "The Cabinet of Curiosities" - Preston & Child.
An old NYC building is demolished and a mystery ensures from there. It involves and old mansion on Riverside Drive with an archeologist, a reporter and the author's most loved character "Pendergast"...we have all their books and this one is fabulous.
CofC...one of my favorites :) Would like to see the author's go back to this story line. I think they got off track in their newer books and I became disinterested. They changed Pendy too much to suit me. Maybe they ran out of ideas. :(

Last weekend,finished"The Exiles' by Christina Baker Klein,historical book set in 1840's Australia main characters are 3 women,,hardships they endure
Mattina- young aborgional girl taken from her home to work at governor's mansion in Van Diemens Island,a penal colony
Evangeline- naive,young governess working for wealthy English family,seduced by son,sent to overcrowded jail,then to prisoner ship bound for Van Deimen's
Hazel-a skilled midwife/herbalist,meets Evangeline on ship
I enjoyed the book,was fascinating.The author wrote another wonderful,historical book I read a couple yr's ago'The Orphan Train',enjoyed that as well

Last weekend,finished"The Exiles' by Christina Baker Klein,historical book set in 1840's Australia main characters are 3 women,,hardships they endure
Mattina- young aborgional girl taken from her home to work at governor's mansion in Van Diemens Island,a penal colony
Evangeline- naive,young governess working for wealthy English family,seduced by son,sent to overcrowded jail,then to prisoner ship bound for Van Deimen's
Hazel-a skilled midwife/herbalist,meets Evangeline on ship
I enjoyed the book,was fascinating.The author wrote another wonderful,historical book I read a couple yr's ago'The Orphan Train',enjoyed that as well
I enjoyed "Orphan Train" as well!

Back