Books! How do you read and what do you read?

The book I'm about to start is "Faults,Not All Forgiven' by Orion Gregory
Its about a 24 yr old struggling pro tennis player,Sydney Livingstone who is playing in a tournament hoping to advance in her career
It interested me because I used to play tennis on a weekly basis back in the late 80's early 90's.The book is crime/mystery,have never heard of the author Sue

Reading this right now. First few pages were a little slow when the author detailed why he started looking into this subject, but it got a lot better pretty quickly. Fascinating explanation of how grocery and convenience stores came into being.

View attachment 184047
I read that book. Good thing I don't like fish, because I will never eat it again after reading about it later in the book.

I just finished Red Death, by Alan Jacobson. It's a thriller/police procedural -- a series. The protagonist is an FBI agent. The antagonist is a serial killer. The cause of death is not bloody or gory. Alan Jacobson of one of my many favorite authors. Also, even though it's part of the series, this book can be read as a standalone.

I use a Kindle to read. I have one for fiction and one for nonfiction. I prefer instructional books to be regular books, so I can flip back and forth through the pages.

What is odd to me is that even though my daughter got her first Kindle many years ago, she now won't read anything except regular books. And she is young, so that's the reason for my surprise. I can have a book in my Calibre ebook management program, and she will still buy the regular book. That seems like a waste of money to me.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of Wilbur Smith. His historical fiction novel "River God" is my all time favorite. Story takes place in ancient Egypt circa 1,800 B.C.

Post 501,

That's me too--hyperphantasia. My kids too. At about age 8 on of my boys came to me puzzled because a conversation he had with a kid at school made him realize not everyone has a movie running in their heads as they read.
Yes, I'm a Walter Mitty, never occurred to me that others that read are not afflicted or blessed with hyperphantasia.
I had never heard of the term until you posted it.

Question, how come it does not work on textbooks?

Last edited:
Some of the beginning (talking about the Whole Foods fish counter) was pently off-putting, too. Made me extra glad I eat a plant based diet!
It sure was. I told my daughter about that so she wouldn't buy fish at the grocery store. It was disgusting to read about. Plus, I read in the NYT some years ago that a lot of fish we buy is not the type of fish it is sold as. Especially red snapper, but I only remember that because my mother loved it when we were kids. She only ate it because it was right off that boat at a restaurant in Destin, FL.

I was at Walmart reading frozen fish packaging before Covid. On front of the package, it said the fish was from Alaskan waters. On back of the package it said it was processed in Thailand. I didn't buy it because it seemed odd to me to catch a fish in US waters and then go all the way to Thailand to process it. Now that I've read that book, there is no way I'd buy fish processed in Thailand.

I'm glad I don't like fish. Lobster and crabs have to be right off the boat, which was easy to get when I lived in New England.

I don't know where to rank the 'Grapes of Wrath,' somewhere in the top ten.
Perhaps we should not try to rank books, there great ones and not so great ones.
Your opinion is as good as the English Lit folk.
The great ones of your life, were great to you-that is all you need.

I don't know where to rank the 'Grapes of Wrath,' somewhere in the top ten.
Perhaps we should not try to rank books, there great ones and not so great ones.
Didn't know we were ranking them on this thread. :unsure:

I prefer to not rank books, music, movies, art, foods, people, experiences, etc., unless it's within a limited field, e.g., ranking how well I like books X, Y and Z.

I read books , I can’t get on with reading on computers .....
I like anything really.........not funny books tho !!

I've been going down the rabbit hole of learning about the possibility of a nuclear detonated EMP (eltromagnetic pulse). First read "Lights Out" by Ted Koppel (non fiction explanation), as recommended by @AnnieA on another SF thread. Based on a mention in that book, I next read "One Second After" by John Matherson (an EMP post apocalyptic novel). He eventually turned it into part one of a trilogy, and I'm now into the second book, "One Year After".

Lots of food for thought in these books, particularly in the context of life over the past 18 months in the highly industrialized world, i.e., supply chain interruptions, hoarding, empty shelves, shortages in parts for repairs, crowded hospitals, ratcheting fuel prices, and so forth. Between those conditions and the extraordinary political divides, tempers are flaring and centuries-old rules of civility are being ignored.

These are a worthwhile read...

I've been going down the rabbit hole of learning about the possibility of a nuclear detonated EMP (eltromagnetic pulse). First read "Lights Out" by Ted Koppel (non fiction explanation), as recommended by @AnnieA on another SF thread. Based on a mention in that book, I next read "One Second After" by John Matherson (an EMP post apocalyptic novel). He eventually turned it into part one of a trilogy, and I'm now into the second book, "One Year After".

Lots of food for thought in these books, particularly in the context of life over the past 18 months in the highly industrialized world, i.e., supply chain interruptions, hoarding, empty shelves, shortages in parts for repairs, crowded hospitals, ratcheting fuel prices, and so forth. Between those conditions and the extraordinary political divides, tempers are flaring and centuries-old rules of civility are being ignored.

These are a worthwhile read...
It's indeed scary and like you said looking at the past 18 months, unfortunately too possible. I'd rather see food fights kept to the school cafeterias where they belong. 😬

Back