Books! How do you read and what do you read?

Joyful, you might also enjoy Kristin Hannah's The Great Alone. It is hard to believe the same author wrote these great books, but in a totally different way. Versatile, talented author.

Finished Barack and Michelle Obama books, and now re-reading three Wayson Choy books which I requested for Xmas. We donate our books to the library after we read them, but have a small collection in our antique oak lawyer's bookcase that belonged to my late father-in-law.

The book I'm reading now is "Hank and Jim: the 55 yr Friendship of Henry Fonda and James Stewart"by Scott Eyman
This is a terrific book, how they met,became room mates as they were struggling young actors in NYC.,friendship continued through the years until Fonda's death
I knew Fonda was married 5 times,Stewart to his wife Gloria for 45 yrs.
The author talked with family members,friends of both actors who knew them well Sue

I just finished reading a book by Edgar Herrall titled, “Out of the Depths.”

It’s a fantastic true story about the sinking of the U.S. S. Indianapolis during WWII. Edgar was just one of the very few survivors from that sinking. His exploits from being in the water for 4 days while waiting to be rescued are nothing short of amazing. I only hope that if I am ever in a position of danger as he was that I have the same kind of survival skills.

If you are really interested, I posted his short version of the events under the Military section. I promise that if you take the eight or so minutes to watch the YouTube video that you will not be disappointed. A true American hero, Edgar Herrall.

Southern Female Authors;
While the novel or short stories are completely understandable, they also place a nagging feeling that 'I'm missing something.'
Carson Mcculler
Flannery O'Conner
Kate Chopin
These ladies are writing from a closed society, though often not brought to light, it stains the pages, often calling for 'another read'.

There literate is inclusive or a pilgrimage which was imprinted in their early years. These authors depict grotesque characters and events in their pages;
in part seeking definition of their own lives.

(You want'a explain what the hell your talking about, Mr. Smarty Pants?
Can't, but I know some of their efforts are coded messages to themselves
which their unaware of... I think?)

I have been a "book worm" almost all my life. Having been a school teacher helps. It goes with the business. I bought an e-reader a couple of years ago & couldn't figure out how it works so I returned it. So, I read "real" books that I borrow from our library. I read mainly biographies & travel books. Very seldom do I read fiction. Maybe only 1 or 2 every year at the most. Right now I am reading "Travel the World on $50 A Day" by Nomadic Matt. In the last 2 weeks I have read biographies about Ringo Starr of the Beatles & another one about a woman that was married to a member of the Rolling Stones Band for 30 years.

Packerjohn;:
Got one for you,'Flyboys: A True Story of Courage,' James Bradley

A book regarding a facet of WW II, never considered. The why- of this books obscurity is a mystery.

Walking into the room on post 15, will boost your I Q ten points

The trilogy of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' fat books 600 pages, not my normal taste, but I got hooked. The character of Lisbeth Salander, pulls you in-
a societal wreck.
The author died, now another author is picking up where book three left
I want to quit reading this series, but I'll probably buy the 4th book.

Last edited:
I love to read books and now do it exclusively by ebook. I have library cards from two local libraries so I can often find just the book I want and check it out for free for 3 weeks.

I read both fiction and non-fiction. Some of my favorite fiction authors are David Baldacci, Craig Johnson, James Patterson, Michael Connelly and John Grisham. For non-fiction I like biographies and history. Last year I read over 60 books.

This and that:
correct spelling is horse-de-vores or horse orders, you pici

Micky Spillane was read avidly by all teens. He and female would be semi-naked or just plain nakie in room, they approach each other.
Then he would start another paragragh. 'The next morning..."

JUJU-pumped into a lady at library with a zipper notebook, the big type you had in school. To keep track of titles, authors,..."I found I was checking out
books I had read 20 years age, so I started this notebook, it is a great help."

The notebook had well over 100 pages, front and back...

Recommend book, don't know title or the author, but a movie, "Paths of Glory" (freebie on net) is faithful to book.

Back