Books! How do you read and what do you read?

Been reading quite a lot of Tana French mysteries lately. My sister is an avid reader, and passes her books to me .. fortunately, I'm a fan of mysteries. On the other hand, I prefer quirky short stories by authors such as Haruki Murakami and Banana Yoshimoto, who are probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Currently stuck on Grit Lit-if your a redneck you can't escape it. Of course, real rednecks don't read books, so those familiar with the culture or were raised redneck write about it.
Harry Crews, was so ashamed of his redneck raising he did not believe he had the ability to write. He made no attempts till he was past grown.
Rough stories, rough people...

Currently stuck on Grit Lit-if your a redneck you can't escape it. Of course, real rednecks don't read books, so those familiar with the culture or were raised redneck write about it.
Harry Crews, was so ashamed of his redneck raising he did not believe he had the ability to write. He made no attempts till he was past grown.
Rough stories, rough people...

I made a list two weeks ago, of Grit Lit books I can get from Inter-Library loans and those I'm going to have to buy.
Yours was on list.
The blurb from jacket: "strange, bloody, tragic..." Oh life in the South, you want to explain to a Yankee how it's done down here?
My stories, while living in Detroit were not believed.

Put you on 'follow' list

I read mostly non fiction. I have read many books on the Civil War and WWII. I just got “The Forgotten 500”for Christmas, but haven’t started it yet. If you really enjoy true stories about WWII, I think you would really enjoy reading “Ghost Soldiers.”

Reading is a pleasant past time. There are so many great books to read.
What are some of your favourite books you have read and what do you use to read them?
perhaps an ireader or a kindle? Or maybe you prefer listening to them.

These are great for reading with since you can:
-load as many books as you want to
-adjust the letter size
-read at night without needing to turn on a light so you don’t disturb others.

At at the moment I am reading ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ by Sue Monk Kidd
which is extraordinarily written.

What are you reading right now and what great books can you suggest to the rest of us?
that' a great book. I read it when it first came out and loved it.

I'm a pretty voracious and very eclectic reader. Here are some I've read recently:

Night of Miracles by Elizabeth Berg
All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin
Everything is F*cked: a book about hope by Mark Manson
The Death of a Hussy by M.C. Beaton
Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis
The Stoic Challenge: A philosopher’s guide to becoming tougher, calmer, and more resilient by William B. Irvine
Rising Strong: The reckoning. The rumble. The revolution by Brene Brown
The Giver of Stars by JoJo Moyles

I'm a pretty voracious and very eclectic reader. Here are some I've read recently:

Night of Miracles by Elizabeth Berg
All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin
Everything is F*cked: a book about hope by Mark Manson
The Death of a Hussy by M.C. Beaton
Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis
The Stoic Challenge: A philosopher’s guide to becoming tougher, calmer, and more resilient by William B. Irvine
Rising Strong: The reckoning. The rumble. The revolution by Brene Brown
The Giver of Stars by JoJo Moyles

I've never read any of these. Will have to give them a look. Thanks for the recommendation!

I've never read any of these. Will have to give them a look. Thanks for the recommendation!
The one by Jo Jo Moyles is very good and is a fictionalized account of the Horseback Librarians of Appalachia (a program started by Eleanor Roosevelt during the depression to get books to folks who had no access to libraries. Great story that also delves into the situation of mine owners vs. miners of that era. It is set close to Harlan county KY (which is one county over from where my Mom is from and where I was born, it was of special interest to me).

Jerry, hope you read my book, part of it is about my growing up in my home state of Alabama.

View attachment 87462
John: When I came back to the forum after being off a long time, I tried to find you and info about your book. Couldn't remember the numbers after your name!! Just now noticed this post, and ordered it through Amazon.

Gary: I always keep my word, even though unexpected circumstances can result in long delays. Have an alert on one site for when your book becomes available, and periodically check Amazon, Alibris, etc. too.

The one by Jo Jo Moyles is very good and is a fictionalized account of the Horseback Librarians of Appalachia (a program started by Eleanor Roosevelt during the depression to get books to folks who had no access to libraries. Great story that also delves into the situation of mine owners vs. miners of that era. It is set close to Harlan county KY (which is one county over from where my Mom is from and where I was born, it was of special interest to me).
Great book. Thanks for the recommendation!

I too, must hold the book I am reading. I like historical non fiction or current non fiction. Also am a WWII buff and have read most of what was mentioned on here of that time. Currently reading The Splendid and The Vile by Eric Larsen, about Winston Churchill. Not the usual bio, but an entirely different angle of observation. Larsen's books are terrific and I've read most. Have one or two more on my list. Also reading Secret Empires by Peter Schweitzer. He delves into political shenanigans from all sides of the coin. Both books are fascinating reading.

I am a voracious and eclectic reader.
I, of course, love real books but also read a lot on my Kindle for convenience, backlighting and the ability to also synch automatically with an audiobook so that when I am cooking or cleaning I can listen to my book and when I have the opportunity to sit down and read I can pick it up right where the audiobook left off and vice-versa.

If you want to find books about the culture in your area go to your university press.

Your university press (probably different names in different regions) will publish a book that national publishers wouldn't touch-
"It won't sell enough to be economically viable."

Your university press, while concerned about finances, will publish a book which has
limited appeal regarding the cultural values in your area.

Question crying for a thread:
Titles of Books:
1. Does the title of a book result in you pulling it from the shelf?
1a Title or author-which peaks your interest
2. Do you believe the title gives you a clue as to the content of the book?
3. Who determines the title?
4. List some great titles
5. Trilogies due to first book
6. Must read authors

Many more, but I'm too sorry to think or list moe

My brother in law is a Mason. My husband was asked to be one but I told him that he can’t. At least that’s what he told me the other day. :lol:
Ooh my father (not a nice man) was a Mason and when he passed over he had all these 'things' in his possession. Don't know whether they are the same as what one has in US. Don't really know what they are but to me just weird!!!!! and he has a certificate for the Freedom of the city of London - another bit of weirdness given what he did to mum. Apologies for poor quality photos.

Attachments

• freemason.jpg
    freemason.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 4
  • freemasons 2.jpg
    freemasons 2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 4
  • freemason1.jpg
    freemason1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 5
Ooh my father (not a nice man) was a Mason and when he passed over he had all these 'things' in his possession. Don't know whether they are the same as what one has in US. Don't really know what they are but to me just weird!!!!! and he has a certificate for the Freedom of the city of London - another bit of weirdness given what he did to mum. Apologies for poor quality photos.
I’ve no idea what they do either. The idea that everything is done in secrecy is the thing I disliked the most. I’m all for transparency. If you’re a group, state what you do? Where and when? Maybe I’ve watched too many murder mysteries but red flags were going off everywhere for me. My man can do just about whatever he wants whenever he wants but this wasn’t one of them.

Question crying for a thread:
Titles of Books:
1. Does the title of a book result in you pulling it from the shelf?
1a Title or author-which peaks your interest
2. Do you believe the title gives you a clue as to the content of the book?
3. Who determines the title?
4. List some great titles
5. Trilogies due to first book
6. Must read authors

Many more, but I'm too sorry to think or list moe
I am an eclectic reader. Having said that, I am partial to thrillers, mysteries.
My favorite authors (in no particular order) are:
Harlan Coben, he writes stand alone books but also has one of my favorite series, Myron Bolitar, sports agent.
Dennis LeHane
Linwood Barclay, has several series plus stand alone books
David Baldacci, several series. I particularly like the Amos Decker series
Phillip Margolin writes legal thrillers
Lee Child, Jack Reacher, of course
Michael Connelly, all Harry Bosch
Some favorite books not related to any of the above:
The Silent Patient, Alex Michaelides
Jane Steele, Lindsay Faye
What Alice Forgoy, Lianne Moriarity
The Swans of Fifth Avenue, Melanie Benjamin
The Clifton Chronicles, Jeffrey Archer
So many books, so little time!

Have read:
Graham Greene
Fay Weldon
I was an avid reader of Spillane...and those paragraphs
Was Spillane made into a television series and shown in England. I just know the name Mickey Spillane but don't know where from???:unsure:
George Orwell
Albert Moravia
Tom Sharpe
Simone De Beauvoir
Satre
John Fowles
Amy Tan and other Chinese writers

and more...... but will look at other's reading list. Always want to find something different. I too want to hold a book in my hand . Kindle is not for me. ☺

Back