Books! How do you read and what do you read?

I just finished reading'Where the Crawdads Sing' by Delia Owens,her debut book
I had read/heard mixed reviews about this book.I throughly enjoyed it,some parts I was wiping away tears I had the large print edition,a bit long at 487 pgs but I couldn't put it down
The story is set in Barcley Cove,N.Carolina,a young girl age 6,Kya Clark lives all alone in a cabin after her mother,siblings all leave because of the father,he soon disappears. The townspeople call her'Marsh Girl' because that's where she lives,attends school only 1 day because she doesn't now how to read.A classmate,Tate who she soon learns to trusts, teaches her how to read which changes her live forever
I liked that one a lot, too!

Just yesterday I finished reading "The Elephant Whisperer." What a terrific book - thank you so much for the recommendation, MQ.

Next up for me is "Florence Adler Swims Forever."

The book I've just started is'Miller Country' by Anna Quinlan,never have read any of her books before. In the basement of our building is our community library with 6 shelves.One of the residents takes care of it,she has the books in alphabetical order.We have 2 bxs one for donation,other for return,I found the book in this bx

Currently, I am working my way through the Doc Savage books by Robeson (a nom de plume covering at least four authors). These pulps started in the early 1930s as a monthly magazine.
...reading these in the order they were published (currently reading; The Secret In the Sky, originally published in May 1935).

...just a bit of light reading; little to no thought involved...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Savage

I am almost completely converted to E-books now as there is little shelf space left for the real thing.

Enjoy!

I just read through "Two Old Women" by Velma Wallis - a Native Tale from Alaska. Was a fairly quick read but a very poignant story about how they survive the winter.

Another recommendation is a film we saw on PBS recently: "Elizabeth is Missing" I recommended it to my sister and she loved it! Glenda Jackson was Excellent! She plays Maud, a woman on the verge of Alzheimers. I was fascinated with the way the threads of her memory took clues from the present to solve a mystery in her past.

My close friend, Marcia gave me as a xmas gift 'Crazy Rich Asians' by Kevin Kwan.
I got halfway thru it but I didn't finish it,too long almost 500pgs.This was the author's 1st book,was the basis of the movie version that came out 2 yrs ago
I'm now re-reading a book I first read in 1999,"Naked In Death' by JD Robb aka Nora Roberts
This is the 1st book set in the future 2058 involving Lt Eve Dallas,a homicide cop,her co workers,how she met her husband,Roarke.There are 49 books so far in this wonderful franchise.I've read them all,its fun for me to see how it all started.I usually finish the books in 2 days,get so engrossed with the characters ,storylines.Nora Roberts is a terrific writer in my opinion

My close friend, Marcia gave me as a xmas gift 'Crazy Rich Asians' by Kevin Kwan.
I got halfway thru it but I didn't finish it,too long almost 500pgs.This was the author's 1st book,was the basis of the movie version that came out 2 yrs ago
I'm now re-reading a book I first read in 1999,"Naked In Death' by JD Robb aka Nora Roberts
This is the 1st book set in the future 2058 involving Lt Eve Dallas,a homicide cop,her co workers,how she met her husband,Roarke.There are 49 books so far in this wonderful franchise.I've read them all,its fun for me to see how it all started.I usually finish the books in 2 days,get so engrossed with the characters ,storylines.Nora Roberts is a terrific writer in my opinion
This is one of my all time favorite series!!!! I’m in love with Roarke, have a huge crush on Dennis Mira, wish I had a friend like Mavis Freestone, and could run a home as flawlessly as Somerset! 😂

This is one of my all time favorite series!!!! I’m in love with Roarke, have a huge crush on Dennis Mira, wish I had a friend like Mavis Freestone, and could run a home as flawlessly as Somerset! 😂
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check it out!

I've been reading American and Canadian Asian authors lately. The stories resonate with me, considering I am 4th generation Japanese Cdn.

Celeste Ng: Little Fires Everywhere
Ruth Ozeki: A Tale For The Time Being
Maxine Hong Kingston: The Woman Warrior
Ken Liu: The Paper Menagerie

I just finished James Hilton's Lost Horizon from the early 1930s. Beautifully written. It seems written language was more complex in those times. Am reading Summer Hours at the Robbers Library by Sue Halpern and enjoying it. Also halfway through Hans Rosling's How I Learned to Understand the World: A Memoir.

@Pinky - I like Celeste Ng's works a lot. I've been able to understand so much more of my my daughter-in-law life as a first generation American (Korean parents).

Hi Ronnie,I like the love/hate relationship between Eve and Sommerset,the development over the years of Eve's partner,"Peabody' the funny clothes she wears that drives Eve crazy,also like'Feeny'

I’ve been reading so many books lately and several at the same time. Currently I’ve started an old book I’ve read before called ‘Something More’ ‘Excavating your Authentic Self’ by Sarah Ban Breathnach, author of Simple Abundance.

This book has creative exercises to do to help discover your authentic self. When I read it the first time I never did the exercises but this time I’m going to. The first exercise is to pick out pictures that speak to your heart and create a personal collage. She’s an excellent writer.

Her Simple Abundance book is a daybook. Each day there are inspirational quotes and messages to lift your spirit and question your reality.

My brother&sister in law gave me this book as Xmas present "Inside of A Dog:What Dogs See, Smell,and Know" by Alexandra Horowitz.It sounds fascinating
I'm a life long dog lover,growing up in our family my brother,sister,we had all sorts of dogs.My brother&his family always have had golden retrievers,their 10yr old dog's name is 'Buster' sweet dog. Our last family dog was also a golden retriever,her name was 'TY'
Sadly I can't have pets in my apt,I have the next best thing,a golden retriever pillow

I am currently reading "Shiner" by Amy Jo Burns. It's pretty good and not too long. It has held my interest which seems to wander these days. Ditto for "Intimations" by Zadie Smith. I am going to look at "Wabi Sabi" by Agneta Nyholm Winqvist and it is possible I may buy the book. "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee is a huge heavy book full of interesting facts about many different foods and how to cook that I have already ordered it from Amazon.ca. I have read Sarah Ban Breathnach's books but finally got read of them as I could never dedicate myself do doing it. I have requested at my library the book "Inside of a Dog" as I did have a dog a long, long time ago and would love to get another one.

Awaiting these library books:
Where the Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens
The Missing Wife - Sheila O'Flanagan
My Sister's Lies - S.D. Robertson
Every Breath - Nicholas Sparks
One I may have to purchase .. The Dressmaker's Gift - Fiona Valpy

If anyone has read any of the above, I'd appreciate any feedback :)

Awaiting these library books:
Where the Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens
The Missing Wife - Sheila O'Flanagan
My Sister's Lies - S.D. Robertson
Every Breath - Nicholas Sparks
One I may have to purchase .. The Dressmaker's Gift - Fiona Valpy

If anyone has read any of the above, I'd appreciate any feedback :)
Pinky,I had heard so much about'Where The Crawdads Sing' beforehand,hoping it wasn't another 'over hyped' book.It wasn't, throughly enjoyed it,couldn't put it down,finished it in a couple days.Its the debut novel for the author Sue

At present I'm reading the books of Frank Joseph on the early history of America. Trouble is, the prices vary so much. I'm browsing through all the sites which sell books and coming up against many different prices for the same books. Funnily enough, Amazon is the most expensive. Ebay is the cheapest but I don't have an account.

At present I'm reading the books of Frank Joseph on the early history of America. Trouble is, the prices vary so much. I'm browsing through all the sites which sell books and coming up against many different prices for the same books. Funnily enough, Amazon is the most expensive. Ebay is the cheapest but I don't have an account.
It's easy to set up an account with them.

I loved Where Crawdads ..... I hope she has another in the works.

I've read a some of Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rawlings pseudonym) in the Strike series.

( I hope i haven't posted this before.)
'Where Crawdads Sing' was close to 350 pages long; it held the readers interest, though there were parts that lacking...

I was not pleased with her resolution, as a pinnacle or climax it was insufficient.
A book over 300 pages deserves more than a two page climax.
I felt cheated.

The book will brake 2 million purchases, so my opinion is in the minority.

I loved Where Crawdads ..... I hope she has another in the works.

I've read a some of Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rawlings pseudonym) in the Strike series.
Hi Gennie,I've read the 1st 3 books by Robert Galbraith,'Cuckoo's Calling,Silkworm,Career of Evil',enjoyed them Sue

Back