Books! How do you read and what do you read?

Keesha

🐟
Reading is a pleasant past time. There are so many great books to read.
What are some of your favourite books you have read and what do you use to read them?
perhaps an ireader or a kindle? Or maybe you prefer listening to them.

These are great for reading with since you can:
-load as many books as you want to
-adjust the letter size
-read at night without needing to turn on a light so you don’t disturb others.

At at the moment I am reading ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ by Sue Monk Kidd
which is extraordinarily written.

What are you reading right now and what great books can you suggest to the rest of us?

I used to have quite an extensive library of "real" books but lost them all in a flood many moons ago.

Since then I've been building my new e-library on my laptop - mainly PDFs but also quite a few epubs and mobis.

My first consideration in rebuilding was to replace all my martial arts books; as a result I have roughly 500 stored away on my external hard drive (easy to throw in my pocket when the next flood comes).

I'm also gathering my eclectic collection of books such as the Anarchist's Cookbook, Criminal Psychology, Freemason's Bluebook and the full collection of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.

That last is an example of the scant fiction that I have - I tend to go more for non-fiction.

So, I'm currently perusing Morals and Dogma by Albert Pike and Native American Religions by Paula Hartz.

=SifuPhil; I'm also gathering my eclectic collection of books such as the Freemason's Bluebook.

I'm currently perusing Morals and Dogma by Albert Pike

Are you a Mason Phil ?

I've been a Master Mason since Feb. of 1977 and a 32º Scottish Rite Mason since Nov. of 1981.

2Q==.jpg

I prefer biography's but lately there aren't to many I'm interested in reading about so I've been enjoying mysteries, some Danielle Steel books or any thing that strikes my fancy. I love reading on my Kindle and get books sent from our library. The last few weeks I've been reading some books I've had for a long time from before my Kindlle days. I decided to read them and pass them on. I never ever reread a book or keep them.

I'm still a "book" lover. I need to have the book in my hand. I have a Kindle that was given to me as a retirement present nine years ago and I've never fired it up.

As for what I read? I read just about any genre, except for the "Gothic Romances", and I suppose that if I were stuck somewhere and that's all I had to read, I'd read them gratefully.

I'm having some eye problems and don't read for as long a period of time as I used to, but I still get through 3-4 books a week.

Does anyone else get books out of the library that they find they're already read and didn't remember the name? I'll get to page 20 and say, "Oh, heck, this is the one where the woman didn't know she had a twin sister and the twin sister killed the father and tried to pin it on her!!!"

I also have to get a bunch of books at a time because I may reject a third of them because I just don't like how the author writes. I just tried one and put it down because, my heavens, the author just LOVES to hear himself write. His feeling seems to be "why use three descriptive works when twelve will do?" i.e. (and I quote from the book) "The great snorting and smoking brute that had paused with brusque impatience at the meek little village station and suffered her to take her place in one of its lattermost compartments--her fingertips still retained the impression of hot plush and greasy leather--now stood gasping after its mighty efforts under the high, soot-blackened glass canopy of the throbbing terminus, disgorging on to the platform its complement of dazed and bedraggled travelers and their jumbles of baggage." And that's just on the first page......it goes downhill from there. I love a good turn of phrase, but "great snorting and smoking brute" and "throbbing terminus"?

There are some books I can read over and over again. Every year on my birthday, I read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" again. I still have the copy I got for my 10th birthday and it became a tradition.

I've been a life long book reader,as I mentioned in a previous post,keep track of the books I've read over the years.I have no desire to get a Kindle or Nook,prefer to have a paperback or hardcover in my hand.
Keesha,I loved'The Secret Life of Bees' by Sue Monk Kidd,didn't like the movie version'08,book is better.
I like to read memoirs,history,fiction.
I just finished reading'The Underground Railroad' byColson Whitehead,fictional book of the runaway slaves in the South using the railroad to get a better life. The author won the Pulitzer Prize,couldn't put the book down. Another book I read a couple of weeks ago was Jodi Picoult's book'Small Things'.The story is about an African Amercian,nurse,Ruth who is charged with murdering an infant at a local hospital where she works.The boys parents are white supremacists,terrific but a tad too long.
I've read James Garner's memoir which was fascinating reading,my favorite sportscaster,Dick Enberg who died in Dec '17 wrote his memoir'OhMY"{his famous saying} wonderful book. Sue

I'm another book lover, but I still prefer good ol' hardcopy books to online versions. Nowadays I mostly read before going to sleep. I read more nonfiction than fiction. Right now I'm enjoying The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century by Thomas L. Friedman that explains the ways computer technology is making globalization a reality.

I always have several computer books by my desk to help me with my website, on topics such as Javascript, jQuery, CSS, HTML, etc.

I've become familiar with Smashwords, an online ebook website, since I started publishing books for an 89 yr old client of mine, Mike, who is quite the prolific writer. This site has many books you can read for free. If you're interested, here's a link to Mike's books published so far: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/CEMikeMarshall

[QUOTE}=SifuPhil; I'm also gathering my eclectic collection of books such as the Freemason's Bluebook.

I'm currently perusing Morals and Dogma by Albert Pike

I was raised to the Third Degree March 1958 and the Thirty Second April 1979

Are you a Mason Phil ?

I've been a Master Mason since Feb. of 1977 and a 32º Scottish Rite Mason since Nov. of 1981.

View attachment 50495[/QUOTE]

I used to have quite an extensive library of "real" books but lost them all in a flood many moons ago.

Since then I've been building my new e-library on my laptop - mainly PDFs but also quite a few epubs and mobis.

My first consideration in rebuilding was to replace all my martial arts books; as a result I have roughly 500 stored away on my external hard drive (easy to throw in my pocket when the next flood comes).

I'm also gathering my eclectic collection of books such as the Anarchist's Cookbook, Criminal Psychology, Freemason's Bluebook and the full collection of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.

That last is an example of the scant fiction that I have - I tend to go more for non-fiction.

So, I'm currently perusing Morals and Dogma by Albert Pike and Native American Religions by Paula Hartz.

Thanks for your post StifuPhil. You clearly are an avid reader. Your collection sounds wonderful.
We donated most of our books to our local libraries as ours we getting a bit damp from being in the basement but we kept all our reference books or books from our education and training.

Trying to organize all of that certainly takes time and I’m still not there yet.
I enjoy both fiction and non fiction.

I prefer biography's but lately there aren't to many I'm interested in reading about so I've been enjoying mysteries, some Danielle Steel books or any thing that strikes my fancy. I love reading on my Kindle and get books sent from our library. The last few weeks I've been reading some books I've had for a long time from before my Kindlle days. I decided to read them and pass them on. I never ever reread a book or keep them.

I enjoy Daniel Steele also but I also like Nora Roberts, Sandra Brown, Robyn Carr, Nicholas Sparks and various good authors.
Thanks Ruth. I wasn’t as smart as you and kept all my books. It’s only been the last couple of years that I have been donating them

I'm still a "book" lover. I need to have the book in my hand. I have a Kindle that was given to me as a retirement present nine years ago and I've never fired it up.

As for what I read? I read just about any genre, except for the "Gothic Romances", and I suppose that if I were stuck somewhere and that's all I had to read, I'd read them gratefully.

I'm having some eye problems and don't read for as long a period of time as I used to, but I still get through 3-4 books a week.

Does anyone else get books out of the library that they find they're already read and didn't remember the name? I'll get to page 20 and say, "Oh, heck, this is the one where the woman didn't know she had a twin sister and the twin sister killed the father and tried to pin it on her!!!"

I also have to get a bunch of books at a time because I may reject a third of them because I just don't like how the author writes. I just tried one and put it down because, my heavens, the author just LOVES to hear himself write. His feeling seems to be "why use three descriptive works when twelve will do?" i.e. (and I quote from the book) "The great snorting and smoking brute that had paused with brusque impatience at the meek little village station and suffered her to take her place in one of its lattermost compartments--her fingertips still retained the impression of hot plush and greasy leather--now stood gasping after its mighty efforts under the high, soot-blackened glass canopy of the throbbing terminus, disgorging on to the platform its complement of dazed and bedraggled travelers and their jumbles of baggage." And that's just on the first page......it goes downhill from there. I love a good turn of phrase, but "great snorting and smoking brute" and "throbbing terminus"?

There are some books I can read over and over again. Every year on my birthday, I read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" again. I still have the copy I got for my 10th birthday and it became a tradition.

I can relate to wanting a variety of books to read just in case you don’t like one. My husband will faithfully read books he doesn’t like which I’ve never understood but then again ...... need I go further ?lol
thank you jujube.

I've been a life long book reader,as I mentioned in a previous post,keep track of the books I've read over the years.I have no desire to get a Kindle or Nook,prefer to have a paperback or hardcover in my hand.
Keesha,I loved'The Secret Life of Bees' by Sue Monk Kidd,didn't like the movie version'08,book is better.
I like to read memoirs,history,fiction.
I just finished reading'The Underground Railroad' byColson Whitehead,fictional book of the runaway slaves in the South using the railroad to get a better life. The author won the Pulitzer Prize,couldn't put the book down. Another book I read a couple of weeks ago was Jodi Picoult's book'Small Things'.The story is about an African Amercian,nurse,Ruth who is charged with murdering an infant at a local hospital where she works.The boys parents are white supremacists,terrific but a tad too long.
I've read James Garner's memoir which was fascinating reading,my favorite sportscaster,Dick Enberg who died in Dec '17 wrote his memoir'OhMY"{his famous saying} wonderful book. Sue

Oh I didn’t know ‘The secret life of bees’ was made into a movie. There aren’t many movies that live up to the pleasure you get from reading. At least that’s been my experience. Your preferences seem to be towards the classics. :D
Thank you for contributing

I'm another book lover, but I still prefer good ol' hardcopy books to online versions. Nowadays I mostly read before going to sleep. I read more nonfiction than fiction. Right now I'm enjoying The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century by Thomas L. Friedman that explains the ways computer technology is making globalization a reality.

I always have several computer books by my desk to help me with my website, on topics such as Javascript, jQuery, CSS, HTML, etc.

I've become familiar with Smashwords, an online ebook website, since I started publishing books for an 89 yr old client of mine, Mike, who is quite the prolific writer. This site has many books you can read for free. If you're interested, here's a link to Mike's books published so far: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/CEMikeMarshall
Thank you for the link Granny B. I wish I were more technically inclined but I’m learning.
You sound like a very avid reader.

The majority of books I read are non-fiction and prefer the physical book in my hand, paperback and/or hardbound.

Enjoy fitness, health, food/nutrition, inspirational/motivational books & also, autobiographies & biographies.
thanks Cindylou, I also have a lot of books on health and wellness both body / mind. Besides novels it’s probably the majority of my collection.

I read anything with words on it. But my favorites are small paperbacks because I do most of my reading in bed, just before going to sleep.

Every Friday my local library has a used book sale. For a couple of bucks I come home with a whole bag full.

They are 25¢ each.
My parents are the same way.
Thanks Falcon.

'How to' books now
some classics

back when;

Grade school
Baseball hero stories
Buried myself in them
Willie Mays
The Mick
Joe DiMaggio