Boxer dies from brain injury from fight.

The entire focus of professional boxing is to beat your opponent into a coma. You punch somebody's lights out and you win. It's the lights going out , and the beating up of the body, which is what pro fighting is all about. It's not a by product of the sport, like a football player getting a broken bone.

Note, way back when there was no limit on the number of rounds so they fought until one could not go anymore. I don't think the "ringside physicians" back then were anything more than barbers. Check out Jerry Quarry on you tube after his boxing career was over. He had the mind of a child. Very sad.

The entire focus of professional boxing is to beat your opponent into a coma. You punch somebody's lights out and you win. It's the lights going out , and the beating up of the body, which is what pro fighting is all about. It's not a by product of the sport, like a football player getting a broken bone.

You couldn't be more wrong.........

Boxing is scored by [in most states] a three judge panel. Scored by punches thrown, landed, defensive moves, effectiveness , stamina , stance , etc.........

If a KO/TKO happens....then the match is ended....you win. I have seen many a match go the distance , and I think well hell, blue trunks won that one, only to find out that the judges saw things differently, & in-fact, red trunks won.

Hell I had it happen too me, thought sure I won,........didn't.

Note, way back when there was no limit on the number of rounds so they fought until one could not go anymore. I don't think the "ringside physicians" back then were anything more than barbers. Check out Jerry Quarry on you tube after his boxing career was over. He had the mind of a child. Very sad.

No neutral corner rule either. If you knocked your opponent down you could just stand over him and hammer him as soon as his knees were off the canvas.

I don't know what the beer has to do with anything but.............

They [boxing/football] are the same due to the fact that they are both violent sports , and are 'there' for entertainment to the people that watch either. And the participants , participate hoping for glory & a big paycheck.
Simple. When you enjoy something, you don't want to consider the negative aspects of it.
The differences between football & boxing: With football, the possible brain damage is unintentional. With boxing, brain damage is intentional; it's how winning is accomplished. With football, there is a lot of protective gear to minimize injury. With boxing, there is none, because injury is required to win.

Simple. When you enjoy something, you don't want to consider the negative aspects of it.
The differences between football & boxing: With football, the possible brain damage is unintentional. With boxing, brain damage is intentional; it's how winning is accomplished. With football, there is a lot of protective gear to minimize injury. With boxing, there is none, because injury is required to win.

Again........you couldn't be more wrong......in boxing the intent is not to injure , but to out score your opponent . That's why the round is stopped just as soon as the ref can get there to stop it, if one or the other boxer drops. There is NO intentional injuring of any kind........

Have you ever boxed ?

In football, some of the injuring isn't even in the game....it takes place between games, by way of the steroid&pain med injections.........pushing the body past/way past, what it can endure naturally. Subjecting it to even more/worse damage during the game play, on field "hits"........Hell knees are one of the most frequently injured body parts, just due to the directional changes required to "keep-up" in the game. Many of the players retire @ 30-40 ish with "blown" knees that plague them the rest of their lives. There was one such player on a financial program just the other day , pushing his "new" product line of CBD oil to combat pain he is suffering since his retirement.

Former Seahawks linebacker Lofa Tatupu launches CBD brand

https://www.seattlepi.com › sports › seahawks › article › Former-Seahawks...

Last edited:
rpg, I'm missing something. I know nothing of boxing. I'm not talking about amature sparing, but pro boxing. You score points by landing punches on your opponent's body. And you don't get points for holding back. You say the object is not to injure. How can you say that a fit, buff fighter whaling on you is harmless? The human body is not a punching bag. Plus with a KO, there is no 10 points, your opponent is unconscious- that doesn't seem like a healthy thing to be. I don't understand the difference in getting the hell beaten out of you, and a pro fight.

rpg, I'm missing something. I know nothing of boxing. I'm not talking about amature sparing, but pro boxing. You score points by landing punches on your opponent's body. And you don't get points for holding back. You say the object is not to injure. How can you say that a fit, buff fighter whaling on you is harmless? The human body is not a punching bag. Plus with a KO, there is no 10 points, your opponent is unconscious- that doesn't seem like a healthy thing to be. I don't understand the difference in getting the hell beaten out of you, and a pro fight.

I didn't say it was healthy :) I said that it was scored. Sure they get hurt, but then so do football players , trying to "score" . Either directly or by blocking the opposing team from "scoring".

"And you don't get points for holding back."

Same is true of football, no points for holding back there either.

I don't know what the beer has to do with anything but.............

They [boxing/football] are the same due to the fact that they are both violent sports , and are 'there' for entertainment to the people that watch either. And the participants , participate hoping for glory & a big paycheck.

Never saw how there was any glory in beating the hell out of a fellow human being for money. Still don't.

Again........you couldn't be more wrong......in boxing the intent is not to injure , but to out score your opponent . That's why the round is stopped just as soon as the ref can get there to stop it, if one or the other boxer drops. There is NO intentional injuring of any kind........

Have you ever boxed ?

In football, some of the injuring isn't even in the game....it takes place between games, by way of the steroid&pain med injections.........pushing the body past/way past, what it can endure naturally. Subjecting it to even more/worse damage during the game play, on field "hits"........Hell knees are one of the most frequently injured body parts, just due to the directional changes required to "keep-up" in the game. Many of the players retire @ 30-40 ish with "blown" knees that plague them the rest of their lives. There was one such player on a financial program just the other day , pushing his "new" product line of CBD oil to combat pain he is suffering since his retirement.

Former Seahawks linebacker Lofa Tatupu launches CBD brand
https://www.seattlepi.com › sports › seahawks › article › Former-Seahawks...

No, I've never boxed. I also never drank cyanide, but I know it's not good for one's health.

Do YOU"LL remember when Boom Boom Mancina ( sp) Killed the Korean boxer?
He had beaten the Korean boxer senseless-apparently the brain injury made the Korean invulnerable to pain (?) He began a furious assault
in the last two rounds, then Boom Boom knocked him down, when the Korean hit the canvass he was a dead man-well he died later hospital,
but he darn sure looked dead to me in the ring. (1970's, 80"s??? Wide World of Sports???)
Ray “Boom Boom Mancini.” Pretty good fighter, who last I knew was doing broadcasting. I haven’t followed boxing probably in 20 years, but there was a time I really enjoyed watching the heavyweights and some of the others. The lighter weights, including the featherweights never really interested me. I remember watching one match between 2 featherweights, both who were of Spanish or Mexican heritage, and when the bell rang for the 1st round, they started almost immediately throwing wild punches at each other. I mean, these 2 guys just started wailing on one another as I sat there in front of the TV waiting to see who would fall first.

Ray “Boom Boom Mancini.” Pretty good fighter, who last I knew was doing broadcasting. I haven’t followed boxing probably in 20 years, but there was a time I really enjoyed watching the heavyweights and some of the others. The lighter weights, including the featherweights never really interested me. I remember watching one match between 2 featherweights, both who were of Spanish or Mexican heritage, and when the bell rang for the 1st round, they started almost immediately throwing wild punches at each other. I mean, these 2 guys just started wailing on one another as I sat there in front of the TV waiting to see who would fall first.

There really is a skill to boxing...throwing/landing/blocking a punch.[this is how points are scored] Not to mention the 'foot-work' required to be in the right place,@ the right time in the ring .

Apparently they were never taught that....or just threw it all aside when they heard the bell...... :rolleyes:

There really is a skill to boxing...throwing/landing/blocking a punch.[this is how points are scored] Not to mention the 'foot-work' required to be in the right place,@ the right time in the ring .

Apparently they were never taught that....or just threw it all aside when they heard the bell...... :rolleyes:
No one denies there is a skill to boxing. The issue is allowing a sport where you win by intentionally damaging your opponent's brain.

No one denies there is a skill to boxing. The issue is allowing a sport where you win by intentionally damaging your opponent's brain.

Once again....there is nothing intentional about it. Injury is no more intentional than it is in any other sport. Football, soccer , hockey, etc.

The "intent" is to out sore your opponent , if he or you get injured in the process ?.....Oh well.....both know the dangers & the chances of said danger.

In my view, punching another human being is intentionally causing injury -- I mean you are doing something that in all probability will hurt the other person. And punching the other person seems to be the object of the game, no? Ergo . . . .

Back