Can I ask this here? If you use one of those medical alert gizmos, how do you like it?

J-Kat Thanks for the info I filled out all the info on the Phillips Lifeline website. They are to call me today. Everything I see there is great & will work for me. The price is great also. The best part they WILL call D.I.L. first before 911

I took an accidental dive to the floor 3 times so far. Twice from tripping over cables. Once on computer cord, second time on vacuum cord. As I went down from the computer cord, I turned by body just enough to land on my side. No injury, thank goodness. When I tripped on the vacuum cord I fell so fast flat on my face I was confused wondering how I got there. No injury, just a bit of soreness in left cheek & just below my knees. I turned over and scooted on my butt to my lounge chair and grabbed ahold of an arm and pulled myself up to my feet. I was fine, just shaken. I figure my big belly hit the floor first & must have cushioned my fall. :) The third time happened when my slipper jammed at the edge of my living room area carper just as I was stepping forward with my left foot. To avoid falling to the the floor, the moment my left foot touched the carpet, I used it to push myself forward as hard as I could towards my couch and landed face and shoulders into its cushions and, other than flattening my face against a couch cushion, I was fine.

Think it's time for me to get Medical Care Alert? :D

Or if you've been considering one or another.

I'm feeling OVERWHELMED trying to shop for one. There are too many choices (and not enough, paradoxically). I'm just looking for personal experience-type recomendations.

Thanks in advance.
I wish I could help you. I'm a two stroke survivor and I have one issued and monitored by The VA. I've never had to use it thankfully but i tested it and they answer right away.
That's all I can offer you.

i still don't understand what is the difference between these and a cellphone. Instead of pressing "1", you press "911".
Why not just use your cellphone? You can attach a cellphone to a little cord you can wear around your neck ,can't you?
Isn't all they do is call an ambulance, which you could do yourself, don't they?

That's just my opinion, but then i didn't understand the purpose of "sticky notes" when they came out. i said, "Why don't they just use a piece of scrap paper and a piece of scotch tape?'
So, You may not want to listen to my opinion! haha!
Using 911 will require speaking coherently for one and that is not often the case in emergencies. Second, sometimes 911 operators are more harm than good. Last you may have to answer boatload of questions and that gets back to my first reason.
By the way, I read long ago the young woman that invented the sticky notes owns her own island.

I have a pendant from the company originally called Great Call, which changed their name to (I think) Mobile. I've been happy with it, fortunately never had to use it, but it gave me a certain level of security "just in case." But lately, it's become hard to charge it up. All I have to do is place it in its little cradle, which is plugged in to the wall socket, usually about once a day. But the charge hasn't been working. I think the unit is just worn out, after several years. I tried to get them to replace it, and they want to sell me a new one, and the weird thing is they quoted three different prices! So I'm shopping for another company.

I thought of just wearing or carrying my cell phone all the time, but what's putting me off that is: what about in the shower? I know I could take the phone into the shower with me and keep it in a plastic bag, but probably all I'd need is one leakage to ruin the phone. And a new cell phone would be a lot more expensive than the alarm system. But I'm still exploring possibilities.

There all fine- if you have the ability to press the alert button.
A massive heart attach leaves you incapacitated, your darn lucky if you have the ability to press a button.

To be honest, just get a cellphone. I had one. of those neck ones. It was supposed to detect falls. I was on the floor and nothing. The battery had a short power life. My visiting nurse found me. If you're able to talk to some guy in Des Molines, via the gizmo, then you're able to talk to your local 911, via cellphone.. And 911 will investigate open phone calls when no one speaks. Why have to go through Des Moines to get help? I hadn't worn it in over a year, but they kept sending bills, and for supposedly "monitoring" me. The thing's battery is dead, and it's throw away, so how in the hell are they "monitoring" me. And there are issues about the range of some of these devices..

Last edited:
Or if you've been considering one or another.

I'm feeling OVERWHELMED trying to shop for one. There are too many choices (and not enough, paradoxically). I'm just looking for personal experience-type recomendations.

Thanks in advance.
I have been using the personal emergency response system offered by Senior Safety since 2013. I have the system that is hooked up to my landline phone. The company offers other systems as well. See Seniorsafety.com or call 888-473-2800.

Back