Casey-J and Susie-Q

When I was a child my mother and I changed trains in Hoboken on the way to Scranton PA. We ate soup in a restaurant there. I thought "Hoboken" was such a funny word.

I remember Hoboken....

You two women folk are right. Hoboken is one strange name. But it was home to Frank Sinatra and also the stomping ground for the Infamous Conrail Boyz too. More about them later.

www.panynj.gov/path

https://twitter.com/PATHTrainJG

www.pathsmartlinkcard.com

unnamed.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PATH_(rail_system)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Hoboken_train_crash

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmartLink_(smart_card)

unnamed.gifimg_1261-1512486604-7033.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, NYC was the famous place to go.....Not anymore....The last time we went to NYC my husband was in the Hospital....
That was 2 years ago...A very nasty place to go....My Mom was born in that City....Her parents decided to move to
NJ...Grandpa bought a store and he had a truck to sell his goods....That was on Hudson Street in Hackensack, NJ...
Sorry that the city is going down hill....

The Big Apple was flushed down the toilet when heroin hit town in the early 70's, otherwise it depends on where in the 5 boros you are. Clinton gentrified Harlem when he planted his flag on the top floor of the Adam Clayton Powell Office Building, NYPD cleaned up Washington Heights with phase one of stop and frisk program, Barclays Center cleaned up Downtown Brooklyn, Staten Island cleaned up St. George after the Eric Garner incident, South Bronx is still what it is and will always be, I used to live in Jamaica Estates and would meander down to Hollis and Jamaica with not one problem, you just have to look like you would have no problem jacking somebody up. Roosevelt Island zoned out all the non wealthy renters and zoned it out for high end renters and the condo crowd. Outside of that it has it's own subway station now and they have some kind of police department/security patrol stopping any and everybody for GOD knows what since it has like one bridge to the island. well that's all I know. TTFN.

Last edited:
Rode troop bus through Brooklyn to naval yard to ship out to Europe.
Did not believe the miles and miles of buildings-and people actually lived there?
No grass, no trees, cement and asphalt, almost scary

The Big Apple was flushed down the toilet when heroin hit town in the early 70's, otherwise it depends on where in the 5 boros you are. Clinton gentrified Harlem when he planted his flag on the top floor of the Adam Clayton Powell Office Building, NYPD cleaned up Washington Heights with phase one of stop and frisk program, Barclays Center cleaned up Downtown Brooklyn, Staten Island cleaned up St. George after the Eric Garner incident, South Bronx is still what it is and will always be, I used to live in Jamaica Estates and would meander down to Hollis and Jamaica with not one problem, you just have to look like you would have no problem jacking somebody up. Roosevelt Island zoned out all the non wealthy renters and zoned it out for high end renters and the condo crowd. Outside of that it has it's own subway station now and they have some kind of police department/security patrol stopping any and everybody for GOD knows what since it has like one bridge to the island. well that's all I know. TTFN.
Hi FastTrax….My husband worked in NYC for many years....He then went to Jersey City to work...We lived 2 hours away from NYC...
Hubby had a van and took about 4 or 5 people every day to NYC and Jersey City....They all chipped in....
He finally retired.....We would go into New York just to shop and just walk around....Sometimes with some friends..
Then Hubby had a Heart Attack and 2 years later he had Cancer....
The last time we went to NYC was when my husband had surgery....Never went back again....Hopefully he never will go back...
God Willing....

Speaking of Hoboken, Frank Sinatra would come to little ole NJ....He would come to Gamble to a Store Front, which was in the back of the store
and gambling going on....When I married my husband, his Dad told me about Frank Sinatra and Frank would always pick up his
little girl and hug her....That little girl is over 80 years old now....Anyway, My Father in Law didn't like Sinatra...I won't say what he said about him.
But Frank Sinatra made good with his songs....He never came back to the store front in NJ....

The last time we were in NY was a disaster. Kayelle got a pulmonary infection while on our cruise, and when we landed in Brooklyn, she was taken to the ER of the closest hospital. She spent most of the day there, listening to people being brought in with gunshot and stab wounds. She was finally put in a room that was filthy with no soap. The hospital itself was closed down shortly thereafter-no surprise!
She spent 3 nights there while I stayed at night with my sister on Long Island. The best thing about that place was the road to JFK to get us out of Dodge. Thank you, Jet Blue!

Hi FastTrax….My husband worked in NYC for many years....He then went to Jersey City to work...We lived 2 hours away from NYC...
Hubby had a van and took about 4 or 5 people every day to NYC and Jersey City....They all chipped in....
He finally retired.....We would go into New York just to shop and just walk around....Sometimes with some friends..
The last time we went to NYC was when my husband had surgery....Never went back again....Hopefully he never will go back...
God Willing....

I feel your pain, I will say a prayer for him tomorrow. As much as I wanted to see NYC in my rear view mirror I want to go back so bad it hurts. Now I want to see Florida in my rear view mirror, actually I don't even want to look back, I just want to look ahead, you know, get a dirty water dog in Manhattan, go to a movie at 2:00 Am, Nathans in Coney Island, Orchard Beach, a slice of pizza in Canarsie, White Castle in Da Bronix, you know stuff like that.

I know Hoboken and the projects where the "Conrail Boyz" plied their trade jacking trains.The official version was the leader stole a radio out of one of the engines and worked the setups after learning which boxcars had the lucrative quick sale items, the real version is he was paying somebody in Selkirk for the consignee list for the SE/OI trains that ran mostly at night. I'll probably do a piece on that in a week or two.

The last time we were in NY was a disaster. Kayelle got a pulmonary infection while on our cruise, and when we landed in Brooklyn, she was taken to the ER of the closest hospital. She spent most of the day there, listening to people being brought in with gunshot and stab wounds. She was finally put in a room that was filthy with no soap. The hospital itself was closed down shortly thereafter-no surprise!
She spent 3 nights there while I stayed at night with my sister on Long Island. The best thing about that place was the road to JFK to get us out of Dodge. Thank you, Jet Blue!

Hadn't heard from you in quite a bit. A railroad man jetting around huh? You could be charged with treason by flight then they'd filet you. Seriously was the hospital named "Cumberland General" or something like that? I vaguely recall that it was across the street from the BQE. In NYC parlance it was one of what's called a "Knife & Gun Club" hospital surrounded by projects and like the others run by New York City Health & Hospital Corp. The one and only saving grace was the ER staff were the best in the business when it came to trauma. Their waiting rooms were the size of baseball fields and a couple of times a person or 2 or 3 would be long dead waiting to called. Nobody cared what went on in those NYC run cesspools but it was all they had. I never saw a rat but I saw a lot of roaches and mice and they would look at you like if you gonna stay here you need to start paying the rent. All kidding aside NYC was, is now and will always be brutal. Survival of the fittest. Take care my friend.

God Willing....

Hi Pep. The hospital your hubby had surgery in, was it Memorial Sloan Kettering on East 70th Street? My mom GOD rest her soul had surgery there, one of the top 5 Oncology centers on the East Coast. TTFN

(Taking the topic south for a bit-Peppermint: Sewer rats in Europe can weigh a bit over
two pounds. They come out in the late P.M. and early A.M....I would have guessed
some of them to be ten pounds or so. Obviously, that is an exaggeration but
that is what they looked like to me-spooky.)

Now back to trains...

Last edited:
Back to work.

https://

WTH. How did my post get this on it? I guess I was starting to say something

Back