Cashier refused to give change

JaniceM

The last time I was at the grocery store, I asked for $10 cash-back in quarters. The cashier said they can't give anyone any change.
Has anyone else had this experience?

I read that due to the virus, less money is being produced, so I wonder if that could be the reason?

Janice, what do you need the quarters for? Just curious. I used to use them for my buildings laundry machines, but now we use a card. Parking meters?

We never get cash back on a debit card because the item is fully paid for. However on self serve checkouts you can ask for cash back always in 20 dollar bills. Then I buy a 2 dollar lottery ticket and ask for coins back. They don't like doing that because they need coins in the till.

I would lower my sights and ask the cashier for a dollar's worth of quarters every time I make a transaction at the grocery store, drug store, etc...

You could also try asking at the service desk to see if they could spare a roll of quarters.

Good luck!
The Customer Service desk was where I was. The cashier was a polite young kid who's often there, I don't think he was just being difficult.
From what others have said, I guess it's the coin shortage.

I heard someone else mention the coin shortage then when I was at the local supermarket yesterday and there was a sign posted saying that there is a cash/coin shortage. They were asking that people consider using those methods to pay.

At Wall-Mart you have to make the check out for the exact amount. If you make it for a few cents more that money goes to a charity. They do not want to handle coins and I see why.

I tell my wife to use a credit card but she does not want to for some reason.

Back