Church Attendance Way Down

I do think that apes do represent a lot of how humans are now. Apes have their own tribes, fight with other ape tribes, and there's always the alpha males that want all the lady apes and to control everybody else. How different is that from how homosapiens are in our present state of existence? :rolleyes:

Yes it does, but even here religion is on a decline and more and more people consider themselves non religious.

Yes, probably for institutional religion, but humans are still emotional beings as much as we would like us to be totally logical. But frankly, I want us still to be some of both and find other ways to be spiritual in some way--which some folks also equate that to illogical. Well, I don't. The point of us being emotional beings plus having imaginative minds, will always pull us that way, and it's not a bad thing to have feelings. We are not robots . . .yet.

Yes, probably for institutional religion, but humans are still emotional beings as much as we would like us to be totally logical. But frankly, I want us still to be some of both and find other ways to be spiritual in some way--which some folks also equate that to illogical. Well, I don't. The point of us being emotional beings plus having imaginative minds, will always pull us that way, and it's not a bad thing to have feelings. We are not robots . . .yet.

I try to keep an open mind. None of us know what the true nature of the universe is. Not even those really smart dudes like Stephen Hawking and Neil Degrasse Tyson. And we may never know unless maybe ET shows up and clues us in. If that happens I'll bet all of us are in for some big surprises.

We're somehow related to apes, too. Does that make it better? ;)

Exactly, way back, they had nothing else to hold onto, guide them, believe in. Fast forward through to today, and factual evidence of an alternative thought continues to grow. And as is grows.....it produces more positive evidence , of the previous findings.

Back when religion ruled, nothing could be proven , no tangible evidence of the 'stories' told. expectations voiced. Merely stories handed down.

I wonder if those of us that are Pro-Christian aren't being a bit hypocritical; were are not going to change anybody's opinion by our yammering.
We are to carry the message, not expose it to ridicule.
(yes, I'm being arrogant, I have no excuse. God did not make me that way, I choose it.)

I wonder if those of us that are Pro-Christian aren't being a bit hypocritical; were are not going to change anybody's opinion by our yammering.
We are to carry the message, not expose it to ridicule.
(yes, I'm being arrogant, I have no excuse. God did not make me that way, I choose it.)
I'm impressed by Lara. I feel she is being very sincere. I don't see her as a proselytizer just a person who lives her beliefs and is genuinely expressing them, because that is who she truly is.

I'm impressed by Lara. I feel she is being very sincere. I don't see her as a proselytizer just a person who lives her beliefs and is genuinely expressing them, because that is who she truly is
Yeah, me too.
I think she's the coolest of ladies.

Heh, I must be some sorta enigmatic amalgam.
I believe in the Christian God, but dislike most Christians and pretty much hate religion and aaaaallllll that comes with it.
Upon being in a church from time to time, I'd often get cornered in an alcove by bible thumpers, and, after demonstrating the patience of Job, I'd sorta explode, expletives and all, so they'd back the eff off.

That forgiveness clause is pretty freaking cool.

Not far from here is the coastal village of Gardenstown (aka Gamrie). It is a weird place built on steeply sloping ground which ends up at a pleasant harbour. The village is split geographically and religiously with the older lower village being well established with most properties being holiday lets. The upper part has stylish modern houses where the mainly very evangelical residents live. For a small village, it has more than it's fair share of churches with vociferous congregations.

Some years ago, a TV programme was based there and featured amongst others, Malcolm McLaren, former manager of the Sex Pistols. He was run out of town by a lynch mob for amongst other things, calling god a 'sausage'. Actually sometimes he spoke quite a lot of sense, accepting that long ago when it was busy fishing village, the fishermen would be very religious, but while the industry had progressed, they had failed to move with the times.

I was amused one Sunday in summer when the harbour area was busy with people enjoying the sunshine. Then a group of smartly dressed people appeared outside the harbour master's office and started to preach. I've never seen an area clear so quickly. One minute it was busy and the next it was deserted. It must have been a pretty powerful sermon, but like the others, we didn't hang around to hear it.

Back