Coffee......your favorite brand an how you like it

Gary O'

SF VIP
OK, I know this has prolly been beat to death, but I got tired of scrolling to find the thread

Anyhoo, I'm pretty much a coffee nut
Gotta have it
Not to the degree of grinding beans, or those one cup Keurig thingies
No, just good coffee in the can, off the shelf
Not just any shelf
Costco has my coffee
Kirkland Columbian
3 lb can
10 bucks

Years ago, MJB Columbian did it for me
Until they took it off the shelf

I went thru so many brands to find the taste I like (actual coffee taste) I almost swore off coffee (yeah, right)

I don't quite understand how a coffee company can make their 'coffee' taste so flavorless

I imagine their marketing/board meeting would go something like this;

Marketing VP.....'Our coffee tastes like dried ground up dog poop, how do you propose I try to sell it?'

CEO
...….'It is dried ground up dog poop, but we put it in a can, marked Coffee, so people buy it

CFO......'And it's cheap....that's why our facility is right next door to SPCA'

How do I like it made?
We have this cheap Mr Coffee thing that just plain rocks
No fancy settings
Just flip the switch and coffee happens

But, if I had my druthers, and wasn't so impatient to get that first cup, I'd have me an old fashioned percolator
The one my gramma always had going
The rich fragrance only coffee in a percolator can produce, wafting thru the kitchen, into the dining area, and on into the living room
Where my grampa had his cup, watching the New York Yankees beat the crap outa the Red Sox
They had a couple other flavors that complimented the coffee aroma
Bacon frying, and cigarette smoke
Loved to go to their place, just to inhale
Amazed they lived as long as they did....but they did

Anyway, what off the shelf brands do you guys like, and how do you like it made?

And...... if you have to, tell me why you buy beans, or use that Keurig thing (can't be to save money)

I've always liked Chock Full O Nuts coffee.

Recently I've been using Walmart French Roast.

1590411256995.jpeg

I make my coffee with a kettle of boiling water and the basket with paper filter and pot from an old Mister Coffee machine that died several years ago.

When it comes to coffee and several other things I need to switch up brands from time to time or I lose my appreciation for them.

No matter what brand of coffee or how it is made I like it black without anything added.

View attachment 106657

Not a huge coffee drinker but I do love💕 the slow percolated type. Made over a camp fire , even better and from fresh spring water with a bit of almond/ hazelnut cream added.
View attachment 106658

Same for me but I’ve really cut down....coffee and anxiety aren’t a great combo, but I do need some caffeine in the morning.

Went the whole coffee snob scene, Ground my own, only used Aribica beans from either Africa or the Indonesian islands. Used French press decanters. Finally decided like Gary O that a simple Mr. Coffee maker was adequate. Coffee of choice is usually McCafe from Wally's or in a pinch buy the mega can of Great Value. Try to use it up before it gets stale. 3 months is about right. I opted and bought 10 Gazillion brown filters (no bleached for me) @ $2.98 from Amazon.

Last edited:
I just love experimenting with different brands. House brands or whatever.

Lately Walmart House Brand Ground Coffee 100% Arabica Coffee. Roast Level. Light. I keep it in the refrigerator after opening.
But there's something to say for the water you use when brewing coffee.
I brew mine in a Sunbeam 5 cup coffee maker but I only make one or two cups at a time.
There's a timer on it and it will brew the coffee for the morning breakfast.
Life is good.

Starbucks is my favorite. I use the pour-over method now, with the cone.

Awhile back I was using the Aeropress, It made the best coffee I've ever had!
iu
But, it was fussy to use and clean, so I gave it to my son.

I had a Kuerig and it did make a nice cup. Not paying for those K-cups, I bought the attachment and filled it with my own coffee and that worked, but one day it just broke down.

I received as a gift another Kuerig, the small one, cute. I realized I couldn't really clean it out just like I couldn't clean the big one. There was always moisture in it. Eventually it too, bit the dirt.

I've gone through 2 French presses; hated washing them. A few Mr. Coffee type-machines, a stove top percolator and an electric percolator.

I also have a Moka pot for espresso and still have a small electric percolator.

I have ground my own beans and still have a grinder but that's a PITA.

Besides Starbucks, I also drink Nescafe instant crystals when I want iced coffee.

I like most dark roast coffees. I say most, because French Roast is a dark roast, but I don't care for the flavor that french roasting brings to it.

Regular favorite off the grocery store shelf coffee: Folger's Black Silk.
GUEST_5baebdad-ce3a-4a7f-a1d2-1a9e7214fcb8.jpeg

Favorite Gourmet Coffee: Starbucks Morning Joe
969424.jpg

They're both rich tasting, bold, and the flavor isn't diluted by the creamer. Personally I haven't found much difference in the brewing methods. I've used a regular Mr. Coffee, a Ninja machine, a pour and drip method.

Keurig makes both these brands in their pods. I can't make them as strong as I like when I use the Keurig machine.

From my snob days I remember that it was reported that Aribica beans have only 1/3 the caffeine of the Robusta bean (which is cheaper to use) and the darker the roast the less caffeine there is, longer roasting reduces the drug's effect. So until I start losing sleep because of my habit I'll go with the medium roast and use the lower caffeine dose from the Aribica, kind of evens it out.

Problem with the K-cups and Mr Coffee, the machines don't get the water hot enough for us snobs and releases less euphoria. French press is the way to get your water hot enough.

Love the smell of Hazelnut, don't care that much for the taste
after it is brewed.
There are so many brands to choose from unless you live in a small town. We have a Wal-marts and a Starbucks-do not care for Starbucks coffee. Usually stick with Folgers-not that it is such a good coffee, but you know what your getting, no surprises.
I hate to buy a exotic brand, then find I do not care for it.

I buy 8 O'Clock beans and grind them at home (finally got a coffee bean mill grinder at Goodwill for $5 and stopped using my blade spice grinder.) I also like Hills Bros whole bean coffee, and I mix it with the 8 O'Clock.

I'll occasionally buy premium whole bean brands online and mix them in with the other two, but honestly it does not make a whole lot of difference.

Regarding your marketing conversation, it really goes like this:

Marketing VP: "This coffee tastes like dirt!!"
CEO: "It should. It was just ground this morning!"

Thank you very much!
I'll be here all week. Try the veal...

I have a Keurig but, I'm debating on switching back to a brew pot.

My fave coffee is Chock full o'nuts. I take all my coffee with cream and sugar or a sweetened creamer.

Back