Color the Gray? Yes or No?

C'est Moi

Dishin' it out.
I have colored my hair for years. Had no idea the extent of the grayness (is that a word?) Decided a few months ago to get my long-ish brunette hair cut short, and let the color grow off. So now I have this really unattractive mess on my head with about 3" grown out VERY silver and some bad ombre going on. :eek: Not sure I can handle this but I'm in it to win it, so I'll persevere. It's time for another trim and I'm not at all sure that I'm ready for this look. :eek:ld:

So do you color your hair or have you embraced your silver foxiness?

I have never colored my hair. Did not start going really grey till in my 50's. Now I laugh and say it is time to change my hair color on my driver's license. My mom colored hers all the time. When she was ill in the hospital for the couple months before she died, her best friend, who was a beutician, came to the hospital to do her hair. Colored it for her too.

My once ash blonde hair is almost all white now except for a patch at the back. It is also short and straight. It took me a while to get used to myself without artificial curls but I am now comfortable with how I look. My hair and my face now match each other.

af7w5d.jpg

My younger sister, who was always a brownette and who kept her hair coloured, has recently allowed her greys to show through and in the sunlight her hair has taken on a lovely silver sheen through what remains of the brown and it is spectacular.

I have never colored my hair. Did not start going really grey till in my 50's. Now I laugh and say it is time to change my hair color on my driver's license. My mom colored hers all the time. When she was ill in the hospital for the couple months before she died, her best friend, who was a beutician, came to the hospital to do her hair. Colored it for her too.
Wow, Marie. I started finding random grays in my 30's!

My mother had the most beautiful silver/smoky gray hair. I'm afraid mine is going to be an unattractive color. Guess I'll find out soon!! (Luckily, Clairol is standing by, lol.)

My once ash blonde hair is almost all white now except for a patch at the back. It is also short and straight. It took me a while to get used to myself without artificial curls but I am now comfortable with how I look. My hair and my face now match each other.

af7w5d.jpg

My younger sister, who was always a brownette and who kept her hair coloured, has recently allowed her greys to show through and in the sunlight her hair has taken on a lovely silver sheen through what remains of the brown and it is spectacular.

Is this you, Warri? Very pretty, and I love the hair color!

But your hair looks Blonde in that pretty picture Warrigal

I don't have grey hair, but I do colour my hair... just a couple of shades lighter than my natural colour... if I started to go grey I would definitely not let it grow out..however some people really suit grey hair it just depends on your complexion, and the shade of the grey..

Note to self: Got to find a new best friend. A Cosmetologist...

I have colored my hair for years. Had no idea the extent of the grayness (is that a word?) Decided a few months ago to get my long-ish brunette hair cut short, and let the color grow off. So now I have this really unattractive mess on my head with about 3" grown out VERY silver and some bad ombre going on. :eek: Not sure I can handle this but I'm in it to win it, so I'll persevere. It's time for another trim and I'm not at all sure that I'm ready for this look. :eek:ld:

Yes, yes, persevere! I already had a sprinkle of salt and pepper in my hair at the age of 29. It was almost like I had it purposely frosted. I liked it. But then I got some comments at work and so I started coloring my hair. What a pain! So, when I retired the first thing I did was to stop coloring it. I thought it would be awkward for a long time, but to my surprise you could hardly tell. I have very fine hair and I wear it up, so there was hardly any demarcations, even at my temples. But I realize with straight thicker hair it's harder to get through. I love my color and have gotten compliments on it (from other white-haired ladies..lol). Good luck in getting through it. It will be worth it.

Yes, that's me and that is my funeral photo, taken a couple of years ago on a cruise.
I think the slightly golden tinge is due to the lighting.

The colour of my hair is no longer an issue. Now I am engaged in a daily battle with white whiskers.
I refuse to let my face grow an old lady beard.

Warri-I love the color of your hair! That is what my mom`s looked like-she didn`t have to color it because it pretty much looked like what we called "frosted" then. My brother is 80 and his hair color looks like this too. I don`t know if mine would or not. It probably would but I`m too chicken to try.

I have colored or highlighted my hair since I was a teen, and still doing it in my sixties. I have shoulder length hair now and it was always a brown color, but slightly auburn. Since I've been with my husband for over forty years, I've leaned more red, he likes it that way and I'm good with it too. I use a more natural product now called Naturtint, and the color I use is Terracotta Blond. Not ready to go all grey yet, but of course if I could no longer do the coloring at home due to health reasons, I'd let it grow out and probably shorten it too.

NRT028.png

Yes, yes, persevere! I already had a sprinkle of salt and pepper in my hair at the age of 29. It was almost like I had it purposely frosted. I liked it. But then I got some comments at work and so I started coloring my hair. What a pain! So, when I retired the first thing I did was to stop coloring it. I thought it would be awkward for a long time, but to my surprise you could hardly tell. I have very fine hair and I wear it up, so there was hardly any demarcations, even at my temples. But I realize with straight thicker hair it's harder to get through. I love my color and have gotten compliments on it (from other white-haired ladies..lol). Good luck in getting through it. It will be worth it.

Thanks for the moral support!! I'm hanging in there. My hair has thinned quite a bit in the last few years, much to my dismay. Bette said it best, "Getting old is not for sissies."

I have colored or highlighted my hair since I was a teen, and still doing it in my sixties. I have shoulder length hair now and it was always a brown color, but slightly auburn. Since I've been with my husband for over forty years, I've leaned more red, he likes it that way and I'm good with it too. I use a more natural product now called Naturtint, and the color I use is Terracotta Blond. Not ready to go all grey yet, but of course if I could no longer do the coloring at home due to health reasons, I'd let it grow out and probably shorten it too.

View attachment 46893

NRT028.png

Looks very pretty, SeaBreeze. I am also in my 60's and frankly just got tired of dealing with hair color. I'm not familiar with that product but I always did my own color at home.

Back