Color the Gray? Yes or No?

As long as I am working, I will color my hair. It is a medium brown for the most part (except for the grays which I am seeing more and more of) but it takes color really well and I like to add some reddish highlights to it. I tried letting it go "natural" but got a few comments, some from my brother, of all people wanting to know if I was "letting myself go". I will probably get slammed for this, but gray in women's hair makes them look years older. I remember my sister-in-law, who was then in her 30's with quite a bit of grey hair, asking my 10 year old daughter how old she thought she was. My daughter said " I don't know, in your 50's?" My sister-in-law was pretty irritated, but my daughter was right. She looked at least 20 years older because of that grey hair.

Nice photos ladies. I never colored my hair and it is now silver gray. I never really obsess about what my hair looks like but what does bother me is the thinning. Every time I take a shower or comb my hair more falls out.
I would prefer not to die bald but I guess that's one of the reasons they make wigs.

Nice photos ladies. I never colored my hair and it is now silver gray. I never really obsess about what my hair looks like but what does bother me is the thinning. Every time I take a shower or comb my hair more falls out.
I would prefer not to die bald but I guess that's one of the reasons they make wigs.

When my mom passed away, she was undergoing chemo and radiation treatments and had lost all her hair. We put a turban on her. It was one of the prettiest turbans she had and it made her look very elegant. If I lost my hair, that's what I would wear.

2Q==

I let mine grow out one summer when we were on the road. Two reasons that it was the right time: #1 - I had a hat on most of the time and #2 - I was never going to see these people again...LOL. I looked like an old brindle bulldog, but who cares? I had it cut off very short so it didn't take that long to grow out.

I have to say that growing out the grey was very liberating. I think it's a lot more flattering color for my skin tone than my natural black was. My hair is still black along the hairline in the back, which leads to an "interesting" look, since I wear it short.

That's why it is my funeral photo. I don't want one taken when I am in extremis.

I did take special care with makeup hoping to get a good result.
Hubby thinks I am mad.

However, it is not my favourite photo. I much prefer this older one that is a very candid snapshot. No makeup and an unposed smile. In this photo some of the hair colour comes from the setting sun coming in the window.
I was in charge of the parents' refreshment at our children's Advent program at our church.
It was a cushy job.

25ur248.jpg

I wouldn't mind this one being my funeral photo is my daughter thinks this is more me.

Olivia, I upload my photos to Tiny Pics (tinypic.com). There you can select the code for posting on a website and just paste that in to your post.

Last edited:
Too complicated for me. But that's okay. Warri, you look like the loveliest, happiest person alive. What else would anyone wish for.

I am happy Olivia, ever since my epiphany aged 33. Before that I was an angry woman but my life changed in an instant when I uttered two words - "Yes, Lord". In that moment an atheist became a Christian. I will continue to be happy to my dying day.

OMG, Warri, I just had the most wonderful, warm feeling in my heart reading that. So unexpected, it was truly, really amazing.

I stopped coloring my hair a couple of years ago but have not had a new pic taken. Its a nice silver now and I get a lot of compliments from people thinking I color it. Decided I like the silver look and it was too expensive to keep getting the color and took longer at the beauty shop. Its nice to be able to get a quick cut and have wash and wear hair.

I was delighted to read your post C’est moi ! After a lifetime of colouring my hair a beautiful, glossy auburn colour, with lots of compliments I had to stop last year due to allergy problems, mine, like yours is a mess as it’s natrually still quite dark with a sprinkling of grey, (more round the hairline) with auburn at the ends, I feel like an old Sloth, and absolutely hate it, because it was forced on me, not a decision I would ever have made, it’s short but longer on top, I am so tempted to try another dye but had so many skin problems, it’s only just clearing after nine months and I’m terrified of setting it off again, but I don’t think I’ll ever ‘embrace’ it.......:(

My once ash blonde hair is almost all white now except for a patch at the back. It is also short and straight. It took me a while to get used to myself without artificial curls but I am now comfortable with how I look. My hair and my face now match each other

af7w5d.jpg

My younger sister, who was always a brownette and who kept her hair coloured, has recently allowed her greys to show through and in the sunlight her hair has taken on a lovely silver sheen through what remains of the brown and it is spectacular.

Beautiful!

I started coloring in my thirties. Wish I never did! Once you start it's hard to grow out. When I retire that's it, no more coloring. I have gone lighter over the years and as my hair gets more silver it blends better so I don't color as often.

I started getting gray when I was in my late 29’s, yes, I color my hair. My hair is very fine and my sis let hers go completely gray and she looks awful, that alone convinced me to continue. I’ve asked my hair girl when I should consider just let it go natural and she said women really don’t do that anymore like in the old days. I am really envious those women who have that beautiful silver gray.

I was delighted to read your post C’est moi ! After a lifetime of colouring my hair a beautiful, glossy auburn colour, with lots of compliments I had to stop last year due to allergy problems, mine, like yours is a mess as it’s natrually still quite dark with a sprinkling of grey, (more round the hairline) with auburn at the ends, I feel like an old Sloth, and absolutely hate it, because it was forced on me, not a decision I would ever have made, it’s short but longer on top, I am so tempted to try another dye but had so many skin problems, it’s only just clearing after nine months and I’m terrified of setting it off again, but I don’t think I’ll ever ‘embrace’ it.......:(

Hi Wren! Isn't the "growing out" just awful?? My color had faded quite a bit from sun and chlorine last summer so now I have this combo of silver/gray and then an orangey mess on the ends. I'm calling today to get another trim, which is also annoying because I'm not really a "short hair" person. I hope we both get a good result when all is said and done! :D

I stopped coloring my hair a couple of years ago but have not had a new pic taken. Its a nice silver now and I get a lot of compliments from people thinking I color it. Decided I like the silver look and it was too expensive to keep getting the color and took longer at the beauty shop. Its nice to be able to get a quick cut and have wash and wear hair.
I'll bet your hair is beautiful, Terry. I know several "silver foxes" and I am hoping my own gray hair will be as pretty as theirs once all the color grows off. If not then back to the color I go!

Back