Color the Gray? Yes or No?

I did one of those online makeovers one time. It was hilarious! However when I tried silver hair I thought it looked great! It brought out my eyes. Alas my grey is not silver. It's white.
There is no such thing as a grey hair. Eventually all hairs lose their pigment and turn white. A simple rinse will add any surface colour you want, including a silvery grey effect.

I still due mine,I'm 63,a friend told me it doesn't look good to have dyed hair as we get old (er),she loves to micro manage my life but I really didn't like the elderly lady that was in my mirror daily...
It's a pain,makes a mess but it's my single vice to vanity:)

That's why it is my funeral photo. I don't want one taken when I am in extremis.

I did take special care with makeup hoping to get a good result.
Hubby thinks I am mad.

However, it is not my favourite photo. I much prefer this older one that is a very candid snapshot. No makeup and an unposed smile. In this photo some of the hair colour comes from the setting sun coming in the window.
I was in charge of the parents' refreshment at our children's Advent program at our church.
It was a cushy job.

25ur248.jpg

I wouldn't mind this one being my funeral photo is my daughter thinks this is more me.

Olivia, I upload my photos to Tiny Pics (tinypic.com). There you can select the code for posting on a website and just paste that in to your post.

I could tell you were from a UK country without looking...by the way you spelled "color".

Hal

I used to, but about 3 years ago I let it grow out, like you, it was tough going, but now, I love it. I get more compliments on my gray hair than I ever did on my colored hair. Plus, our natural color really goes with our coloring. I've embraced the silvery gray.

I hope I like mine when all is said and done, Harley. I'm headed out for another trim today. I'll be glad when the growing-out process is done.

I agree with Chic, that we should enjoy our long hair....used to be years ago that after a certain age you "shouldn't" have long hair. Phooey! Mine is long, half-way down my back & blond. It's been that way for years. I turned 55 yrs old a few months back and have no intention of cutting it or not coloring.

I agree that we should wear our hair as we please; no argument there. I also prefer long hair (or at least shoulder length) but in order to get the color off I decided to "go short" and get the pain of "roots" behind me. :D Today my hair is the shortest I can remember it ever being and it seems really weird, but the color is amazing. I am going to be very happy with my gray.

Thank you for opening a subject that affects many of us.

I've been coloring my hair a variation of my natural medium-dark brown since my late thirties. Sometimes I go redder, sometimes darker, sometimes blonder, but never grayer!

My husband developed a gray streak in his teens. It was strikingly handsome against his very dark brown hair! Now he's got a lovely, snowy white head of hair. That said, since his late twenties people typically guessed he was 10 years older than his actual age. Eek! He suggested I color my tresses when the silvers started popping through - advice I gladly followed and never regretted.

At 65, I admit to finding the process time-consuming and tedious. I've often considered chucking it all, but ultimately always opt to continue coloring. The truth of the matter is that I dye my hair for myself. It's already jarring to sometimes not immediately recognize my own reflection in a store window (who is that older woman?). I think gray or white hair will only make it weirder.

I am going to be very happy with my gray

Good for you C’est Moi, but I was feeling more and more miserable with mine, I just didn’t feel ready to go grey so today, I’m back to my lovely rich, glossy auburn and feel 10 years younger thanks to a friends recommendation of a natural henna plus cream

I am going to be very happy with my gray

Good for you C’est Moi, but I was feeling more and more miserable with mine, I just didn’t feel ready to go grey so today, I’m back to my lovely rich, glossy auburn and feel 10 years younger thanks to a friends recommendation of a natural henna plus cream

I'm glad you are happy with your new color, Wren. If that's the color in your avatar it looks gorgeous on you.

Not sure if I will last with the gray but at least I'm almost there. I'm most unhappy with the short haircut right now; I have never liked short hair on me so I'm hoping that once it gets back to a good length I will like it better. (Still have my box of Clairol at the ready!! :D)

I knew I did the right thing when I was out for dinner, and a voice behind me said "I love your hair". And when I looked up to see who said that, was a women with beautiful white hair. :) I do admit that some white hair isn't that attractive, but mine is a shiny white. I guess that's also because I have really fine hair which Reflects the light.

But your hair looks Blonde in that pretty picture Warrigal

I don't have grey hair, but I do colour my hair... just a couple of shades lighter than my natural colour... if I started to go grey I would definitely not let it grow out..however some people really suit grey hair it just depends on your complexion, and the shade of the grey..
You're still just a kid Holly! No worries for you about gray hair, but we'll love ya the too.

I have been colouring my hair for some time and have just decided to let it grow out. I don't know how I am going to feel about it either but I am determined to go grey.

I am trying to get up the courage to henna my hair. I purchased a bag of powdered henna from Amazon; but it is still sitting on the shelf. I do not like to go to the hairdresser. I tried using Clairol; but it smelled so awful and made a mess.

I am trying to get up the courage to henna my hair. I purchased a bag of powdered henna from Amazon; but it is still sitting on the shelf. I do not like to go to the hairdresser. I tried using Clairol; but it smelled so awful and made a mess.
Hey. Did you ever henna your hair? I used to colour my hair with henna and hibiscus. It worked great for colour. The only thing I didn’t like about it was the hay smell afterwards but the colour was amazing. My niece coloured her hair the same way and it looks amazing

I posted here early last year, after a while I was so unhappy with the way my hair looked I decided to colour it again using a Henna Cream, mixing two shades so it’s not too red, it’s very easy to use, just paint it on the roots with a brush, comb through, leave for 30 minutes and rinse.

Back