Comparing levels of suffering

hypochondriac

I struggle to stand up without pain after 30 minutes or so.
My brother struggles to move at all without pain.
So I have no right to complain? There will always be someone who is suffering more than me.
As i read some of you on this forum have much more suffering than I.
Physical mental and emotional.
Just i think we need compassion for people even if their suffering is small by comparison.

I struggle to stand up without pain after 30 minutes or so.
My brother struggles to move at all without pain.
So I have no right to complain? There will always be someone who is suffering more than me.
As i read some of you on this forum have much more suffering than I.
Physical mental and emotional.
Just i think we need compassion for people even if their suffering is small by comparison.
Absolutely. We all deserve compassion for our suffering, physical, mental, emotional, spiritual. Also, what may be a small hurt to one individual, might be incapacitating to another. I am not here to judge, but to comfort where I can, help a person find their own way toward healing, and peace. 🙏🏻 Namaste

Everbody here prolly has at least 'some' pain
im just living up to my username 😀😀
im just living up to my username 😀😀

Is your user name meant to be descriptive or just an eye-catcher? I've never really liked to be around a hypochondriac with their constant complaints of pain and suffering. You just seem to be an inquisitive with a lot of free time on your hands rather than a complainer, but that's just my impression.

With hypochondriacs in general, I don't mind listening to the same complaints a few times but after a while they become tedious and I will tend to avoid them.

I've always been troubled by the medical request to rate my level of pain as in 1 is none and 10 unbearable. I don't know what is normal for the condition or what is excessive and might need immediate care.

I am blessed (or cursed) with a high level of tolerance for pain. A doctor once explained to me (when scans showed what should have been a source of incredible pain and I was merely feeling discomfort) that the body still feels pain even if the brain refuses to recognize it thereby creating stress. Eventually the stress will evidence itself in other ways such as hypertension or auto-immune problems.

It seems that we don't all suffer pain in the same degree. Consider childbirth...some women go through agony having a baby...others sail through with what they describe as 'nothing worse than a 'bad tummy ache'. I'm lucky enough to have been one of the latter. Unfortunately, those with a high pain threshold find it difficult to sympathise with those who are 'just making a fuss'. Why do men seem to suffer so much worse than women when they have a cold?

Think a lot of people choose not to talk about their pains. We can never really know how much another person may be suffering. My husband had an aunt. She was a brilliant woman, a botanist and an accountant. When she got older, she suffered and it was obvious even though she didn't talk about it. My husband ask her "how she was feeling" one day when she was at a family dinner, and we never forgot what she said.
She replied "Jim, I've had a wonderful life and I'm not going to complain about the last few years of it."

One of my neighbours died recently. He often looked unwell but made light of his illness. He was obviously much worse than anyone realised, and when he died his family were devastated because they weren't prepared for it.

My mother became legally blind when she was 56. She moved in with us in Texas from Florida where she lived. She became very "into herself" for a couple years. Thank heaven we had a business where she could be a vital part, and she travelled far and wide across the country and the Uk with another employee demonstrating a patient mover for our company for years... so you could say she had a great "second act". A few years after she moved in with us, she went back to Florida for a funeral I think, and got snubbed by some she knew there because she hadn't said "goodbye" to them, I guess.

We handle crisis in different ways.

Think a lot of people choose not to talk about their pains. We can never really know how much another person may be suffering.
^^ This. Besides, nothing is quite as boring as listening to someone's laundry list of whining. My ex-FIL was a man who you never wanted to ask "how are you," unless you had a couple of hours to waste.

^^ This. Besides, nothing is quite as boring as listening to someone's laundry list of whining. My ex-FIL was a man who you never wanted to ask "how are you," unless you had a couple of hours to waste.
So true. My mom used to say "no one wants to listen to an old woman talk about her aches and pains

I just got a phone call, which I was stupid enough to pick up, that started with, "Hi, the reason you are receiving this call is that we understand that you or someone dear to you is suffering from pain." At that point, I hung up.

I shoulda said, "The biggest pain in my life is these unwanted phone calls."

why do u call yourself that name --any reason to it lol'' or are u a person who likes illness - which I cant get !
but I do hope you dont suffer extreme painful bouts ………………………………..
my family culture is kind of common to self parody, make fun of oneself. I hope no one thinks I am making fun of them. Im definitely not.

nothing is quite as boring as listening to someone's laundry list of whining. My ex-FIL was a man who you never wanted to ask "how are you," unless you had a couple of hours to waste.
I can make more threads on my suffering if you like. The list is actually much longer. Now there's my frozen sho…………. and :)

I just got a phone call, which I was stupid enough to pick up, that started with, "Hi, the reason you are receiving this call is that we understand that you or someone dear to you is suffering from pain." At that point, I hung up.

One time I got a tele-marketer phone call and was pleasant enough to him. Ask "what time do you usually eat dinner?
He ask why I inquired and I told him "so I can call you and interrupt your meal." Hey, it worked, he didn't call back.

Don't hang up on these people. You're missing an opportunity to have some fun.
I keep a list of ailments next to the phone. Some are the embarrassing ones people don't talk about. When they call, they'll usually start with, "Good afternoon, how are you today?"
I respond, "Well, I have arthritis, cancer, erectile dysfunction, hemorrhoids, & I'm constipated. But hell, enough about me, how are you dong?"
Complete SILENCE on the other end. And they never call back.....

Back