Convertibles - do you own one or have you previously?

For quite awhile now, I've been wanting a convertible. I want to know what the pros and cons are. I can guess at the pros - wind in your hair, feeling of freedom, etc. But I want to know what some of the cons are to be prepared.

I have been looking online. Lots of them to choose from.
The cons: The heater might not give you as much warmth as you would like in the winter depending upon where it is you live. It is easy to break into with a knife. Keeping the fabric clean requires more elbow grease and ajax. If it is out of adjustment or worn you might get some whistling while you are tooling down the road. If you want to stay on good terms with your wife you'll have to keep some female repellent on hand.

Convertibles - do you own one or have you previously?

I've only owned two if memory serves me: A 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 XL and a 1967 MGB roadster.

converts.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the 70s I had a '64 Ford Falcon rag-top. Normally I don't care for Ford's street cars, but it was a great car. The mechanics of the top worked really smoothly, and there was a sturdy vinyl cover that snapped over the cubby it folded into. Looked nice when the top was down and that cover snapped on. Rag-tops require some care, though. Well, on the old cars, they do.

One caveat is the sun. If you're fair-skinned, convertibles aren't a great idea. My wife was very fair. She wasn't fond of having the top down. And forget about wearing a hat unless you have a free hand to hold it on your head. That's why women used to wear scarfs, I suppose.
I had a 6-cylinder '64 Falcon myself but I turned it into a 427, I-beam axel, street gasser.

2g.JPG

YOU HAD A 57 CHEVY BEL AIRE CONVERTIBLE???????
I WOULD HAVE DONE ANYTHING FOR A 57 CHEVY BEL AIRE CONVERTIBLE!!!!!
Lewkat, I used to love you (before you posted this,) but now I'm just JEALOUS!
hahaha!
I sure did Gaer. A boy I grew up with inherited his dad's Chevy dealership (one of the oldest in the U.S.), and gave me a great deal when I got out of the Air Force. I loved that car. She was turquoise and white and what a great time I had with her. A tad cool in the winter time but still a beauty.

I didn't even know that VW owned it now!
VW own Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT, ŠKODA, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche & Ducati,
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Scania and MAN.
https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/group.html
Something else that is not well known.
ferrarif12tdf_1.jpg
Ferrari produced a model they called the F12 tdf. All 799 cars sold immediately, the UK price was £339,000.
What is so unusual about a high priced Ferrari? It's got a diesel engine.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-r...'s first diesel, the,this side of a LaFerrari.

Last edited:
Never had a convertible, but I did have t-tops. Loved them!
And, That's the part I loved was having the wind blowing thru my long hair........

I had a 79 corvette, and a 1992 Camaro RS...both w/t-tops.
They were kind of a hassle to put on and off, but I was young then and didn't care. :)

Never had a convertible, but I did have t-tops. Loved them!
And, That's the part I loved was having the wind blowing thru my long hair........

I had a 79 corvette, and a 1992 Camaro RS...both w/t-tops.
They were kind of a hassle to put on and off, but I was young then and didn't care. :)
I could not stand having to get all those snarls out of my hair. I did use them but not real often.

Back