Cowboy Heros

Happy Western New Year!
ec1fda12e4c18da0969e6322a7197dd8.jpg

John Wayne: 10 surprising facts

Oscar-winning actor John Wayne was deeply superstitious, cheated at chess and warned Michael Caine never to wear suede shoes

John Wayne, who died on June 11 1979 aged 72, made 162 feature films, was one of the 20th-century's biggest Hollywood stars. Here are 10 things we learned about the Oscar-winning actor from an impressive biography by Scott Eyman.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/true-grit/john-wayne-trivia-facts/

truegrit-xlarge.jpg
I couldn't continue reading without logging in (which I'm unable to do). I wondered if they mentioned that he was a misogynistic racist.

One of my favorite western characters was and still is 'Chill Wills'. The only authentic 'cowboy' in the classic 'Giant'. Favorite line, 'You shoulda shot that fella a long time ago. Now he's too rich to kill.'.
chill_wills.jpg

Last edited:
He looks about right to me. His bio says he was 6'4" and 170lbs but he looked like he weighed a little more than that when I watched him (he died in '79). He sure was tall.
170? Not on the planet earth. He was around 6'4" but more like 260lbs. 170lbs for 6'4" would be rather skeletal.

The Cowboy’s Christmas Eve​

(Boy's Life Fiction)
He is Stubby Pringle, 19-year-old, 10-foot-tall cowhand. And this is his night to howl.

1609106530603.jpeg

Son of American Indian actor lives a spiritual calling in Wilmington

"Chief Steve Silverheels has Seneca/Mohawk Iroquois heritage from his father, Jay Silverheels who played Tonto in the TV series “The Lone Ranger.” He has Jewish heritage from his mother".
1609115493635.jpeg
"Silverheels has his own Web site for Silverheels House of Nations, a videographer and a YouTube channel of his speaking engagements. By day, he works as a mail courier for the city of Wilmington".

Interesting about the two finger picking
sounding like 2 guitars playing, oldman.
Enjoyed listening to the video, meander.

Willie Nelson: "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" (Antique Pics)

Same Song, Different Pics (Vintage Pics)

Mighty fine to listen to

Loved me the movie and TV westerns of the 40’s-60’s. They instilled the desire to learn what was fact and what is myth regarding the “Old West.”

An impossible fantasy is to be able to time travel to the past – in spirit form-- able to see but not be seen, to hear but not be heard, and unable to touch or in any way affect history. Sorta like the fly on the wall.

For example, how did the James brothers and three of the Younger brothers escape Northfield MN after their botched bank robbery attempt? Two – or three, according to some writers – other gang members had been slain. Both ends of the street were blocked with buckboards behind which enraged citizens fired their guns.

One Hollywood version has it that the Jameses and Youngers crashed thru storefront windows and out the back to escape but I cannot imagine horses being forced to do that. But escape they did.

Later while resting in a copse of trees, the Youngers said they would wait there to surrender as at least one of the trio was badly wounded. Jesse and Frank who were unscratched, rode off into the sunset.

Sylvester Stallone buys his brother Frank a very special gift here at Norman's Rare Guitars

Frank Stallone visits Norman's Rare Guitars and receives one of the most special gifts he's ever gotten from his brother Sly. A 1940 Epiphone Emperor Guitar formerly owned by the Sons of the Pioneers.

Last edited:

Boots O'Neal - Legendary Cowboy​

"86 Year old Boots O'Neal "The Legend" still rides and punches cows every day for the historic 6666 Ranch in Guthrie Texas. Boots worked a lot of the historic large ranches over the years like the JA, Matador, 14, Waggoner and 6666. Boots was the first regular cowboy to be inducted into The Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City and in 2018 received a Golden Spur Award in Lubbock".

The rules of cowboy cooking​

On a ranch near the very small town of Seymour, Texas, cowboys fuel up for hard work. Kent and Shannon Rollins are cooks who prepare their cowboy meals-on-wheels on an actual, working chuck wagon. Scott Simon reports on the secrets to cowboy cooking.

Back