Dealing with Chronic Pain

I have tried CBD and it really doesn't help much for me. I remember the saying "If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger." Sometimes that helps me get through the intense pain. Sometimes not.

I got very little to no help/relief with CBD as well. I did 500mg ... 750mg ... and 1000mg over a four month period [I did1000 for two months] ...... Nothing really. I feel that was an honest attempt with it.

thanks for listening.
I hear you on this topic. For two years I suffered such debilitating pain that I wanted to end it all. Doctors behaved as if I were drug seeking for the hell of it. We finally went the concierge route and I was finally listened to and given proper treatments. Unfortunately, we racked up a huge amount of debt because everything was cash up front. Thankfully, I found a doctor in my insurance network who was willing to take me on. I now get nerve block injections, pain meds, and am feeling more hopeful for the future.

I hope that you can get your pain needs addressed!

My primary pain relief comes from playing the PC game, Civilization VI. If I get a pain explosion while sleeping in the night, I walk into my computer room and play Civilization VI for 15 to 30 minutes and the pain totally disappears. It uses intense mental attention to play that game and that uses distraction to block all pain signals from getting to the brain.

My advise to everyone, who happens to be computer literate, is get that game and USE it when pain explosions strike.

I have been taking it for arthritis for years, it is the only prescription medicine I take.

It seems to work, at least some, when I stop things hurt more. It is quite a mild anti-inflammatory painkiller, with no side effects I can determine. Worth considering.
My doctor said it's a NSAID but a mild one.

My primary pain relief comes from playing the PC game, Civilization VI. If I get a pain explosion while sleeping in the night, I walk into my computer room and play Civilization VI for 15 to 30 minutes and the pain totally disappears. It uses intense mental attention to play that game and that uses distraction to block all pain signals from getting to the brain.

My advise to everyone, who happens to be computer literate, is get that game and USE it when pain explosions strike.

Glad it works for you Mitch however .... I'll say again, if you can ignore pain through playing a game/concentration ...... then you are not IMO dealing with severe pain.

I have a deep toothache type pain at this very moment , in my left knee ..... and a muscle/nerve pain in my neck so severe ...... no game is going to make/help me ignore it ........... unfortunately it is Tylenol time.

Then about four hours from now it will be ..... Aleve time, then about four hours from then it will be ....... Tylenol time once again. And, I have already taken indomethacin & gabapentin.

I am & have tried to concentrate on my typing but .......

I can agree with Mitch and with you. Sometimes I can take my mind off of pain when there are things that I must get done.
There are also those times when I have to just call it a day, take pain medication and retreat to bed. It is for so many a struggle everyday. You may look well to others but they have no idea the amount of pain you deal with on a daily basis.

I like your suggestion! Thanks! :)

I can agree with Mitch and with you. Sometimes I can take my mind off of pain when there are things that I must get done.
There are also those times when I have to just call it a day, take pain medication and retreat to bed. It is for so many a struggle everyday. You may look well to others but they have no idea the amount of pain you deal with on a daily basis.

No debate there. I have had folks tell me I look younger than my age ?? I'm 73 & feel 146 :sneaky: And you're right .... some days [like this one] I just give in , pain meds & nap.

Yes! That is so true. I can push through pain most days, but then there are those days when the most innocent activity can push me into pain hell. I am scheduled for a series of nerve block injections, and I hope that they help.

Update: I think the R-ALA works some...not a lot but some. I am on 1200mg of Gabapentin. To sleep at night I have two cocktails. They sometimes work well, sometimes not so well. They include Melatonin, Benadryl, Clonazepam, Gabapentin, and Marijuana. I never have complete relief and usually the pain level is about 4. I have started participating in a couple of pain management Zoom support groups. The people all have chronic pain so we talk about how to deal with it. Some people are a lot worse off than me. Anyone interested in these groups let me know.

Update: I think the R-ALA works some...not a lot but some. I am on 1200mg of Gabapentin. To sleep at night I have two cocktails. They sometimes work well, sometimes not so well. They include Melatonin, Benadryl, Clonazepam, Gabapentin, and Marijuana. I never have complete relief and usually the pain level is about 4. I have started participating in a couple of pain management Zoom support groups. The people all have chronic pain so we talk about how to deal with it. Some people are a lot worse off than me. Anyone interested in these groups let me know.
Yeah, I went to a pain management class the Doctor was having, all I got out of it was it is all in my head. I didn't go to that again because I knew the pain was in my back and neck! I went to a different Doctor he sent me to x-ray got the results he said ''Suzi your back is a mess''. OK, so I just have to tolerate it because nothing helps! Later he sent me for x-ray of my neck, "Suzi your neck is a mess", but that time gabapentin works! So my neck feels fine, but the back is helpless!

I ache. right shoulder kills me. left hand froze up. left hip arrrgggghhh. and general body ache.. I take 400 mg ibuprofen in the afternoon and 600mg at bedtime. it helps. i also have predisolone,it helps. but i get leg cramps so i drink tonic water for the quinine it helps. being on 02 24/7

Has anyone tried or had any experience with "Kratom"? I heard about it yesterday while researching pain relief. I am only able to sleep in 2 hour sessions. That is with the best...safest pain med I have. This Kratom is all the rage for pain sufferers. But, it is an opiate. Columbia has a store that specializes in teaching about it, and helps you choose what strain and dose you need to start. I am suspicious of it because of the potential to get addicted to it. Physically as well as mentally. I haven't done a whole lot of research on the internet because I want first hand /or as close to first hand experience with this substance. I have a couple of pain support group Zoom meetings coming up, and will ask the group about this too.

I deal with chronic pain, and I have tried Kratom. I found that it had a mild postive effect on pain, but gave up on it after I had stomach issues. I had probably tried a higher dosage than was recommended and that was the unfortunate result. I have heard that other people had good results with it, though.

I asked the Mayo Clinic Forum about Kratom this morning. I was referred to a discussion from an earlier time. The OP was to warn others about how dangerous it is. This person was addicted to pain pills and used Kratom to get off them. He lost 90 pounds and says he is worst off by using it. Then a few posts down and a couple people a raving about how wonderous it is. I still don't know, but I would sure like to sleep longer. I also wonder if the Melatonin 5mg's I have been taking for about a month is becoming less effective. I have heard ( it's on the bottle ) your supposed to stop taking it for a week so that your natural sleep cycle won't be disrupted. I called the pharmacist and she says people take 10mg's or more everyday for years and it doesn't bother them. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Just keep busy playing games like chess at Chess.com and Civilization VI from Steam and all pain will disappear. That is my method and doctors are now following my daily routine to help other patients. At age 87 I cannot postpone death but I certainly have eliminated all pain in the process.

M
Just keep busy playing games like chess at Chess.com and Civilization VI from Steam and all pain will disappear. That is my method and doctors are now following my daily routine to help other patients. At age 87 I cannot postpone death but I certainly have eliminated all pain in the process.
Mitch, As I have mentioned before ...... If you can ignore pain ? It is not true pain.

I would have to say that there are different degrees of pain.
You know that scale in the dr.'s office....rate your pain on a scale of 1-10.

And, some people tolerate pain better than others.

jmo

i have chronic pain from a couple different injuries. this wont go away. it cant be repaired. the PTSD is forever.
it can be softened lessoned made liveable with use of small amount of pain meds, the same amount
for over Twenty Years. the brand, type, has changed,...couldnt take acetomin or ibuprofen any longer
so was then put on no filler pain med.

im having a serious problem with how we are treated relative to pain. i awaken Every Morning in much
pain, i was waking during the nites...2;30 4;30am, in there. that has settled down since i now take a supplement
for adrenal stress. my adrenals are tired of dealing with pain and the constant cortisol causes me various other
metabolic issues as well...and this is WITH pain meds.
without them...i end up in ER with NO potassium in a crash.

when ive been deprived of pain relief my BP slowly rises to over 200. it is usually about 130-150. it was 120
Always up until a few years ago when i relocated to a VA area and no one would write the meds for me.
i slowly got more and more unwell...BP insomnia PTSD anxiety depression higher BP.
as soon as a VA doc put me back on the meds my BP came down month after month and has remained down.
life began again and my life was saved.

i REFUSE to be killed by med system that refuses me any relief from injuries ive sustained in my life Some of
which were Caused In Total by doctors, surgeons, WHO LEFT ME IN WORSE CONDITION DUE TO THEIR INCOMPETENCE
thus requiring MORE surgeries to correct mistakes.
ive recovered and worked at it. i had a life to continue and i had chiro massage naturopathic med to continue it.

imo...many of the "drug overdoses" are suicides and now the rest of us pay for that.
if im left in pain my body will indeed die and if thats what they want it is what they will get.
stroke heart attack...death.
it is SICK to treat people that way and then be "shocked!!" by suicides.

im tired of hearing blame put on the meds vs the pain the human can no longer deal with.
am i to continue living in pain so i can SPEND MONEY for a system that could not care less about me the person?

our med system is no diff than being drunk and gambling. the VA is no better.

as a relocated veteran im now suddenly expected to drive 5 HOURS ONE WAY..or TEN HOURS round trip...for a test at
the VA which cant seem to get it done locally where i am like the other vets have gotten.

this country can work its veterans to death but they dont want them to have any relief.
this will become accurate also for the thousands of fire fighters whove been working their butts off
trying to put these fires out. they wont walk away without injuries.

thanks for listening.

I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and am also diabetic with neuropathy. I take a biologic for now called zeljanx, hyroxychloroquine, and lefludimine for the ra. I was taking a low dose of gabupentin for the neruropathy prescribed by the endocronoligist. A pain management dr. decided to up the pentin to 1800mg a day which caused me to lose control of my sanity basically. Stopped the gabupentin and pain management and back to what I consider normal low chronic pain in the joints and the neuropathy in the feet and legs. The pulmonologist has also ruled that the Ra has affected my lungs. I do as much as possible until I get short of breath or my joints start to really become painful and than am pretty much done for the day. That's how my daily life seems to go

Back