Dental and Eye Care on Medicare

debodun

I have the traditional Medicare Parts A and B. United Healthcare chips in as my supplemental insurance. I am not covered for dental or vission care on either, although I have a great prescription service (Silver Script) through the supplemental. Payment for Medicare is taken from my SSI and I do not have to pay anything for my supplemental - it is covered by my former employer.

As has likely been mentioned in other posts about this - the premiums for dental and vision would most likely exceed what one would spend OOP unless they had a catastrophic need. I pay OOP for dental. This year cost me $346 - a 50% increase from last year for the same service and no take home goodie bag, either.

Thankfully, I have not needed glasses so far since retirement. I would only be interested in dental and vision coverage if there was no premium and I get the idea from all the blurbs on TV lately about Medicare plans that to get dental and vision, one would have to bundle with their prescription plan and none are really at no cost. I do not know if I am understanding this correctly, though. I don't want to give up what I already have.

Last edited:

GreenSky

The only plans that include dental for free typically would be Medicare Advantage, usually an HMO but sometimes a PPO. I'm not a fan of dental as they generally have 18 month waiting periods for major work meaning at best you trade your premium dollars with the insurance company. I am a fan of dental discount plans. This is what my wife and I have. For about $120/yr we see great dentists and save about 1/3. Since "true" dental insurance usually only covers 50% for major services I'm happy saving $500/yr and only paying a bit more if we need crowns.

Your Silver Script was indeed great (my wife has them) however they are making a dramatic change for 2020 by adding a deductible of $435 ! In previous years it was worth paying a bit more to avoid the deductible but those days are gone. I'm moving my clients out of Silver Script into plans with lower premiums and drug costs.

But a great supplement paid for by an employer is an amazing blessing.

Rick

GeorgiaXplant

My dental/vision/hearing adds a small premium of $15/month. So far this year it's saved me thousands. Yes, thousands. Many thousands on dental and more than $500 on vision. Without it I'd be near toothless and legally blind.

Kaila

Medicare part B, doesn't pay for eyeglasses (except one pair after cataract surgery)
and doesn't pay for routine eye vision exams for prescribing glasses,

but they do pay a large portion of the rest of my eye related office visits, for any temporary or long-term medical eye problems that arise.
(after yearly overall medical visits deductible has been counted)
Not ideal, but does pay large chunks.

Sunny

SF VIP
Georgia, are you talking about Medicare? You say you had to add $15 a month to your premium, but to what? I have a dental plan that I hate. If I could put dental coverage on my Medicare plan, I'd be delighted.

GreenSky

Georgia, are you talking about Medicare? You say you had to add $15 a month to your premium, but to what? I have a dental plan that I hate. If I could put dental coverage on my Medicare plan, I'd be delighted.
I'm 99.999% sure Georgia has a Medicare Advantage plan (probably an HMO) and has added a dental plan to that. Generally the coverage is a dental HMO with low costs and usually, but obviously not in this case, marginal dental work.

Rick

GreenSky

Medicare part B, doesn't pay for eyeglasses (except one pair after cataract surgery)
and doesn't pay for routine eye vision exams for prescribing glasses,

but they do pay a large portion of the rest of my eye related office visits, for any temporary or long-term medical eye problems that arise.
(after yearly overall medical visits deductible has been counted)
Not ideal, but does pay large chunks.
Medicare pays for medical related eye problems, not routine refraction nor glasses. And like you, I know all about this from personal experience (unfortunately).

Rick