Did you have a teddy bear, what was its name, its sex?

I had a red and white teddy bear my brother won for me at the State Fair..I still remember opening my bedroom door and there it was! 🤗
I never named it and never thought about whether it was male or female until now :unsure::ROFLMAO:

I still have the one I got for my second birthday, picking him out in a toy store is my earliest memory. He looks a lot like Gary's bear only the plastic nose part is cloth on my bear and it, too, was damaged by a dog --my punishment for leaving him at my parent's home when he should have gone straight to the marriage with me.

Of course, he has a name, but I can't say it because it's my password on all my accounts. My few dolls had names, too, and, at night, they sat with my bear (male and the oldest of the group) in a pram, ready to all be wheeled out in a hurry in case of fire.

He now sits on the top shelf of my son's closet, still providing protection.

Barry and Ted. I guess I identified them as boys but they were just as likely to wear a dress as trousers. In truth, they probably reached a stage of non-repair and mum discreetly tossed them in the bin but, I like to think they eloped and are still out there somewhere, living the dream :)

I had a black and white teddy bear that I loved. My grandfather, (who lived with us) took it upon himself to burn unwanted household items in the burn barrel in the back yard. Evidently he thought my bear was trash and I saw him throw my teddy bear in the fire. I remember being in the yard while he did it, so shocked that I couldn't even yell for him to stop. It was too late anyway. I was devastated. I think that's probably why I've always been drawn to black and white dogs and cats throughout the years.

I had a black and white Teddy up until I was about four and it must have had business elsewhere because it disappeared. It had no name and no sex. I do know that it liked to go sledding with me and the Mickey my dog. In the later pictures, it seems to be missing it’s button nose.

I had a black and white teddy bear that I loved. My grandfather, (who lived with us) took it upon himself to burn unwanted household items in the burn barrel in the back yard. Evidently he thought my bear was trash and I saw him throw my teddy bear in the fire. I remember being in the yard while he did it, so shocked that I couldn't even yell for him to stop. It was too late anyway. I was devastated. I think that's probably why I've always been drawn to black and white dogs and cats throughout the years.
That's horrible, Caroln! Really.

I had a similar, but not nearly as traumatic, experience when I came home and my mother was burning a few, less important, old dolls. I was about thirteen and she probably thought I had outgrown such things and none of my favorites were being cremated but it was still rather shocking. I had a room of my own that was not at all overly cluttered, so why?

What I saw when I walked up were the legs of my sock monkey hanging over the side of the burn barrel. I think she always thought he was lewd.:sneaky:

Yes I did....it's name was peanuts. It didn't have a sex, I was less than three years old and didn't know about such icky things back then. Oh and it wasn't a bear it was an elephant. It vanished sometime before I started elementary school.

Last edited:
That's horrible, Caroln! Really.

I had a similar, but not nearly as traumatic, experience when I came home and my mother was burning a few, less important, old dolls. I was about thirteen and she probably thought I had outgrown such things and none of my favorites were being cremated but it was still rather shocking. I had a room of my own that was not at all overly cluttered, so why?

What I saw when I walked up were the legs of my sock monkey hanging over the side of the burn barrel. I think she always thought he was lewd.:sneaky:
I'm sorry you had an experience similar to mine. Isn't it odd the way it stays with you, even after all these years? I've always asked "why" too. Surely my grandfather saw me dragging that teddy bear around with me all the time. Why would he burn it without even asking? Guess he was bored, desperate for something to do, and just scooped up anything laying around. **sigh**

P.S. I had a sock monkey too! May yours rest in peace along with mine! 😇

I had a lot of stuffed animals when I was young, until I went away to college. The first summer I came home from school, I found that they'd all been disposed of along with my comic books. 😢 I was devastated and pissed off. But I never had a teddy bear until I was married. Now I have a few teddy bears. My favorite was given to me by my husband many years ago. Werner is white, fluffy, soft, and smarter than most people. He has his own Christmas hat with his name on it. I've always loved him and still do. :)

My husband got me a teddy bear, too, @Bella. He worked for the company that makes Snuggle fabric softener and snagged me one of those adorable bears! Also got me a tiny Snuggle bear that's my mascot that sits by the computer. 🤗

Back