Do You Close Your Bedroom Door at Night for Fire Safety?

SeaBreeze

Endlessly Groovin'
I just read an article urging people to close their bedroom doors at night in case there's a fire. That way they would have some protection against the smoke and flames and be able to escape out the bedroom window.

I never close my bedroom door at night, I like to hear and know what's going on in the rest of the house. Also, my dog and cat go in and out, many times sleeping with us.

I don't think I could even sleep with the door closed, how about you? :sleep:

yes absolutely I close my bedroom door... I wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't. I don't know why, but if I leave the door open I can't sleep at all... perhaps my ancestors used to put a rock against their cave in case their enemies attacked in the night lol... :hit::eek:mg1:

I close it, even lock it and I live alone. It's habit with me and not because of fire. Plus Pickles sleeps in my room and I don't want him roaming the house because then I wouldn't be able to sleep...the pitter patter of his paws on the wood floor would wake me.

I do have a security system but the door being closed might give me time to get out of the house in case of an intruder because I have a patio door leading to the back in my bedroom.

Even in a fire, all I need to do is roll out of bed and I'm almost outside. :)

Years ago,when I had a sofa bed in my living room,my parents were staying with me for a weekend.Its the only time I closed my bedroom door. It felt strange for me to do so,never have done it since. Sue

We have smoke/CO2 detectors right outside all the bedroom doors, so if there is a fire anywhere in the house, we would probably be jerked out of sleep quickly. About the only time we close any bedroom doors is when the kids/grandkids are staying overnight....for a little privacy.

We have smoke/CO2 detectors right outside all the bedroom doors, so if there is a fire anywhere in the house, we would probably be jerked out of sleep quickly...

Same here. There's one in my bedroom, too, and in the second bedroom. I keep my bedroom door open for the cross-breeze I get from the living room...so, door, yes, and windows open as well. Plenty of oxygen to fuel a fire. :eek:

Back