Do You Close Your Bedroom Door at Night for Fire Safety?

When my children were young, that was the only time it was left open. For years now it is always closed.

Do You Close Your Bedroom Door at Night for Fire Safety?

No, but that's not a bad idea.. I keep the bedroom closed, mainly out of habit.

Oh, I remember why now, used to have cats and as I'm extremely allergic to kitty hair,

keeping it out of the bedroom is a major plus.

The door to the Florida room only has a curtain which we only close when we have company.
The other door I close for noise reasons and when we have company.

I have the funniest cat ever. She has a very loud voice that makes Ethel Merman sound mellow and she's extremely persistent. She would take a dim view of a closed bedroom door and it would be the end of sleep as I know it.

I have to tell you a story. Years ago we had two cats, Teddy and smoky. We had always kept them inside an they usually slept on our bed. We decided that since most folks let their cats out at night, we, to be fair to them, would try it. We let them out and later we went to bed. Soon two little heads were peering in our bedroom window and howling at the top of their little lungs. We opened the front door and you never saw two little cats enter quicker. End of experiment, they slept on our bed from then on again.

Always closed. First to keep the animals out. With 2 dogs and 2 cats, I'm not ready for a parade of animals throughout the night, but the main reason. The thermostat that controls the heating system is in the dining room. My wife and I always sleep with the windows open (a little or a lot), winter and summer. To leave our door open would cool down the whole house and have the heating system on and off through the night. The only time we sleep with the windows closed is when it's really hot and we have the A/C on. It's a wall unit for the bedroom only, therefore the closed door and windows.

Fortunately, in the 80 years that I've lived in this house (I was born here), I've never felt the need to be "on the alert" through the night and/or armed to the teeth. I feel sorry for those who do live in areas where home invasions are frequent, or at least imminent in their minds.:nightmare:

May I ask; What is a "Florida Room?":confused:

Sort of like a family room that evolved from porches that were originally neither heated or air conditioned. In Arizona they were called "Arizona rooms".
At this point most are an integral original part of the house.

I close, and lock, my bedroom door, at night, so I have a few extra seconds to grab my .357, that's under my mattress, loaded, and get a decent bead on the entrance way to the room before the perp kicks in the door!

Back