Do You Own A Swiss Army Knife?

I have the Swiss "Farmy" Knife....

s-l1600.jpg

Farmer Swiss Army knife

Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Logo_861be695-bb44-4836-be9a-e3dcf46b2a05_2000x.png

I have had one for 15 years, that was a 30 year award of sorts, and it was so bulky and well built, I never used it. Last year,I thought "Might as well get it dirty", and began to use it. I used to carry a pen knife, but this one is in the toolbox. I think they also make Swiss Navy knives too.:) Do you have one?
We've got copies aka not as expensive but very useful nonetheless.

However, my best one which I managed to save from my Father's fishing gear, was his intricately carved knife.

It contains pieces to handle fishing and a Philips head and cross-head screwdrivers plus a fork, spoon and knife for eating on camping. It's over 80+ years old.

On this episode of "Swiss Army Thursday Night"
These are a few of the Victorinox knives I have. A couple of Mikov brand Fish Knives from the Czech Republic for good measure.
All are Victorinox with the exception of one Wenger brand pocket knife ... The Handyman.
The Handyman is just like the one MacGyver used in the old TV series.
The Wenger Handyman is no longer made and hasn't been for long time.
Shown below with a Western brand F66 Black Beauty from the 1960's. Good as new and ready to work.
With the Black Beauty and the Handyman, most bases are covered

nPVPg1r.jpg

szmW6AC.jpg

6LOZ91T.jpg

AxTiF08.jpg

Just to add, my regulation issue Swiss Army wool blanket with aluminum tag and personal number 67221 and the Wenger Handyman
The SW17 indicates it's a WWI era 1917 Swiss blanket. They were made to last ;)

Vdxb4Ri.jpg

I have always carried a pocket knife since I can remember.
When I went to Oilfield in 1978, I added a Flat & Phillips Screwdriver, Pen, Tally Book, Tape Measure, a Crescent Wrench, and Pliers and a Flashlight. When I was Offshore I carried 2 Flashlights as being down in the bottom of a Super Tanker and having a Power Failure is Black Ink Dark.
Lot of Claptrap and lots of torn off Pockets due to all the weight.
By the time Leatherman's came out I was Supervising and I swapped to carrying a Leatherman. If I needed more than the Leatherman, I was getting a Toolbox and most likely getting some Hands to come and work on the problem.
Leatherman.jpg
Now that I'm retired, I still carry the Leatherman and a Pocket Compass, Whistle, small Magnetic Bubble Level, Flashlight, small pocket knife, Phillips/Flat Bit, Spare Magazine, G-26, I-phone, Pen, Tape Measure, and one concession to older age issues - a metal cylinder to carry Heart Pills in.
I clank when I walk and it all weighs about 7 or 8 lbs....
Better to have and not need than to need and not have Ha !

I have always carried a pocket knife since I can remember.
When I went to Oilfield in 1978, I added a Flat & Phillips Screwdriver, Pen, Tally Book, Tape Measure, a Crescent Wrench, and Pliers and a Flashlight. When I was Offshore I carried 2 Flashlights as being down in the bottom of a Super Tanker and having a Power Failure is Black Ink Dark.
Lot of Claptrap and lots of torn off Pockets due to all the weight.
By the time Leatherman's came out I was Supervising and I swapped to carrying a Leatherman. If I needed more than the Leatherman, I was getting a Toolbox and most likely getting some Hands to come and work on the problem.
View attachment 329537
Now that I'm retired, I still carry the Leatherman and a Pocket Compass, Whistle, small Magnetic Bubble Level, Flashlight, small pocket knife, Phillips/Flat Bit, Spare Magazine, G-26, I-phone, Pen, Tape Measure, and one concession to older age issues - a metal cylinder to carry Heart Pills in.
I clank when I walk and it all weighs about 7 or 8 lbs....
Better to have and not need than to need and not have Ha !
@gamboolman Thanks for your very interesting post! It's true that "Survival Plans" come in all sizes!

iu

Back